Status
Not open for further replies.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
I change batts when my perfect vape starts to taper off. When varies some depending on which DIY it is because I build for the joose and the fluid dynamics of the atty it will be ran in. Tends to make for a more efficient build that allows the batts to last a little longer/be discharged lower before the vape tapers off.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
It never made sense to me to change out batteries before they drop off to below 3.7v.
I taylor my builds, using Heat Flux numbers, to be optimal between about 4.0v and 3.7v. The reason for this is because of the way battery voltage drops off during use. If you have ever seen pictures of the performance curves of IMR batteries, the drop off from full charge of 4.2v to 3.7v isn't a straight angular line. It's a curve. The drop from 4.2v down to about 3.9v - 4.0v is almost immediate. Then the drop from 3.9v down to 3.7v is a long gradual slope. Below 3.7v, the drop off again becomes very steep. But the batter spends most of its useful time in that gradual sloping area between 3.9v and 3.7v. This is why they are manufactured and sold as 3.7v batteries.

Layzee Vaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2015
Been running my grand on flat tops ever since I got it. 2 and a half years ago. Don't like the magnet Idea. I just put a slight bend in the positive contact with some long nose pliers to reduce the throw a little. still using the original positive contact with no issues. Only really an option if you only use flat tops though as it might auto fire or have a real hair trigger with a button top.

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
i've always used flat top batteries in my grand and i use a magnet on top - not a weedy little Reo door magnet, but a really sticky neo from K&J Magnetics. As a lung-burning button masher, i have used this arrangement for about 4 years and i also modified the fire button by using a rivet head epoxied to the bottom of it to stop it melting!

Naturally, none of this is recommended practice, but if you buy reputable batteries and care for them, then you can really get some great performance. There is even a mod for a Reo that Custom Classic does, so you dispense with the spring entirely and use a solid silver bolt :)

i use 30A batteries, so the mAh is lower than a lot of the others 2200 usually. So they don't last long at full blast - but i can get a work day easily from them. i use 3mm RxW and a 0.3Ω Clapton.

T

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
Depends which version on positive pin you have. Some are a press fit on the older ones (like mine say) but the newer gear may be different and P67's are adjustable too, just to add to the dilemma.

Sounds to me like you stripped the threads on it, but it's equally possible you are just a button masher! <~~ see here, there's one. My advice - send it to be repaired. It'll not be cripplingly expensive and better for it.

T

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Your contact has the clear protective cover over it right? And you inserted the screw for the delrin insert below the contact? This is for the reo grand?

Leaks from the nipple is from it not being tight.. Though sometimes rob would need to put a dab of liquid thread tape on the nipple threads to help seal it from a small leak.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Your contact has the clear protective cover over it right? And you inserted the screw for the delrin insert below the contact? This is for the reo grand?

Leaks from the nipple is from it not being tight.. Though sometimes rob would need to put a dab of liquid thread tape on the nipple threads to help seal it from a small leak.

"Liquid tape thread"... Rob used a micro dab of TFE Paste (I have a tube of it too).

Vapefiend

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Connecticut
Anyhow I got a back up for work

Attachments

• IMG_3193.JPG
    IMG_3193.JPG
    168.3 KB · Views: 43

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
The long "throw" doesn't bother me and I have several backup pins if I break one.
me either. I don't have back up pins, but have used the tootsie rolls for 1.5 yrs and have had no issues with em. Luckily I'm not a button masher.

I wouldn't trust FT for that, but that's just me.
me either. Some things I'd have no issues coming from them, but not batts. I've only ever gotten em from RTD, and I think illumn either that or orbtronic. But I did get my sammy 30 Qs from 101 vape I think

I change out bats when I feel a drop off in power; they're usually around 3.75 when that happens.
I do the same, but it's usually 3.8 something when I notice that.

It never made sense to me to change out batteries before they drop off to below 3.7v.
I taylor my builds, using Heat Flux numbers, to be optimal between about 4.0v and 3.7v.
I've never gotten the hang of the heat flux thingy. I end up .4 - .5 ohms with 26g SS316L I forget how many wraps, don't do it that often. I'm thinkin 7 but not sure. :facepalm:

Vapefiend

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Connecticut
Got it working I think it was just that I didn't put the delrin cover on and I believe it helps put upward pressure on the contact to keep it in place. The heavy duty contact is freaking hard to push. I can't even get a hit off this thing my fingers are weak lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread