Status
Not open for further replies.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
So a kind soul is sending me a magnet to fix my SL Grand door . Just to review here: first I should mark the side that I’m supposed to glue (read about some horror stories haha) and then super glue right?

Place the new magnet on top of the other magnet that remains in the door. Mark the "up" side, and a small drop of glue, very small.

One of the horror stories was an example of my work.

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
Better still, put the new magnet on the existing one in the body of the Reo that it will be mating with, Then there is no confusion over which side needs to be glued into the door.

i favour using a Sharpie to put a black dot on the side i am going to apply glue to. It might be helpful to know that acetone dissolves superglue. Just in case...

T

ed101z

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
East TN
Oh, yes, yeeees. Do follow Super's advice. Mate the magnets by sticking them together; then, put a Black Dot on the side you visibly see. Glue that black dot side to the targeted mold - going to the magnet you just married it to. Believe me, this saves a lot of trouble ahead. I had some difficulties getting the acetone underneath the magnet because they fit tightly in the molds.

Vapefiend

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Connecticut
@Eric Parlin I think the battery contact bar or whatever the name is was the culprit check out the difference in the raised section where the positive end of the battery makes contact. The one you sent over is actually a bit thinner than the original one my p67 came with but the positive contact section is more raised I wish I took pictures before and I can disassemble if needed but see if you can spot the difference. It definitely hits a lot better. The new one is installed!

Attachments

• 984A2DD4-21E3-4524-8C9C-3C7F4901BBDE.jpeg
    984A2DD4-21E3-4524-8C9C-3C7F4901BBDE.jpeg
    308.1 KB · Views: 50
  • B039B219-2F43-4579-A0C5-DF4CAE4AECE5.jpeg
    B039B219-2F43-4579-A0C5-DF4CAE4AECE5.jpeg
    914.4 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
The new one is installed the old one is not. Thought I made that clear, sorry if it wasn’t.

Nope was all lost with the thinner raised one. Confused.

Anyways makes perfect sense the not so deep contact wasn't providing power.. since it couldn't touch a flat top battery.

Vapefiend

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Connecticut
I didn’t see an issue with the spring. I did change it after vaping on the new battery terminal and didn’t notice any difference from changing the spring before or after. However I do get what you mean puffon. Maybe it just wasn’t making full contact or the spring wasn’t able to keep the right amount of tension to do so. Eric did send me a new positive contact with the battery terminal. I only changed the terminal. He did say changing these worked for others with the same issue. Maybe he can explain what’s going on.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
Better still, put the new magnet on the existing one in the body of the Reo that it will be mating with, Then there is no confusion over which side needs to be glued into the door.

i favour using a Sharpie to put a black dot on the side i am going to apply glue to. It might be helpful to know that acetone dissolves superglue. Just in case...

T
this is what I did but don't recall what I marked it with......apparently something not good enough, cuz I still got it in backwards.

Didn't have superglue, so used my craft glue........ tombow mono multi.......... and it worked great........can't get that batt out for nuttin! :facepalm:

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
this is what I did but don't recall what I marked it with......apparently something not good enough, cuz I still got it in backwards.

Didn't have superglue, so used my craft glue........ tombow mono multi.......... and it worked great........can't get that batt out for nuttin! :facepalm:

Acetone.. soak the magnet with that and qtip.. that's what I was told years ago and it wouldn't still come out.. hopefully it's enough for craft glue.

This one the door or body? If it's the door drop the door a few times and maybe it will fall out.. only way I got mine out was to drill it out carefully!

Last edited:

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
I have a stuck magnet too. Acetone did nothing at all. I finally just gave up and did the old door bend trick.

That would work.. but it's not in my nature to give up haha.. it was coming out! Wide drill bit and go slow to make sure you don't go too deep and call it a day.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
Acetone.. soak the magnet with that and qtip.. that's what I was told years ago and it wouldn't still come out.. hopefully it's enough for craft glue.

This one the door or body? If it's the door drop the door a few times and maybe it will fall out.. only way I got mine out was to drill it out carefully!
the one I glued was in the door. When in Florida a couple years ago, borrowed a heavy duty solder iron and magnet from a friend, nuttin doin. Maybe a year ago someone here said since the one in the door won't come out, try the one in the body.......... :facepalm: Wish I had thought about doing that when I was down there with access to the solder tool. Will try acetone on the body maybe at some point. But if anyone wants to make sure the magnet will NEVER come out.......... use this stuff

10151497_1_U.jpg

ed101z

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
East TN

Getting the magnets backwards really creates a nightmare, but I finally got mine out as well after a few drops, and several bangs on the desk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread