Replacing the bottom delrin support ring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia
I lost the bottom delrin ring that holds the spring on my Legacy switch. Actually, I didn’t lose it – it rolled into a heating duct when I was fiddling with adding washers. I’m trying to avoid having to dismantle the duct to retrieve it.

Thinking about making my own. I can’t see that the delrin ring does anything other than to hold the spring and provide a support post for the contact screw. If so, I can make my own out of some stacked rigid plastic washers (large one for the base plus a small one to support the screw). A good buddy of mine is a plumber, so I have access to his pretty much endless supply of washers of every type and size.

So my question: would that work, or does the ring perform some type of function other than a spring/screw support?

(By the by, I did email Puresmoker about it and the best they could offer is for me to buy a bottle of juice and, instead of sending me the juice, they would send me the delrin ring. While I appreciate their creativity and effort since the ring is not a replacement part that is usually offered, that works out to $10.94 with shipping for a piece of plastic. Not really what I expected given that I’ve spent $200 there in the past 2 weeks. Plus, to add to my Legacy problems, I have to sand down the edge of my tube since it does not fit well with the cap.)

Secret_77

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2012
Southern New Jersey
Gotta tell you, I am in the same boat. I got a legacy mini from the classifieds missing the top delrin piece of the switch. Emailed them and they replied saying that it is not something you could buy. I didn't get the buy a juice deal. I got the buy a new switch. Looking for an alternative to it myself.

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
Hey Guys ...

The main issue being we don't sell these parts individually. If someone wants something, its actually pulled from an existing device, and now that device has one missing until the next run of parts.

Secret ~ The LEGACY's don't come with a top delrin piece any longer, and only did on the first run a year or so ago. The coated spring that the LEGACY has does the same insulating job that old top delrin piece did. Now the bottom delrin piece is critically ....

Let me see if the shop itself has some extra's laying around tomorrow. If they do ~ we'll put them on the site separately for people to order.

As for cost hazozita ~ its (2) par. 1) Its not injection molded, which would be relatively cheap ~ its a machined/lathed piece of delrin that's relatively intricate. 2) Again, we'd have to pull from an existing device that would have to sit until the next run.

Let me see what I can get tomorrow and I'll keep you posted.

Secret_77

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2012
Southern New Jersey
Hey Guys ...

The main issue being we don't sell these parts individually. If someone wants something, its actually pulled from an existing device, and now that device has one missing until the next run of parts.

Secret ~ The LEGACY's don't come with a top delrin piece any longer, and only did on the first run a year or so ago. The coated spring that the LEGACY has does the same insulating job that old top delrin piece did. Now the bottom delrin piece is critically ....

Let me see if the shop itself has some extra's laying around tomorrow. If they do ~ we'll put them on the site separately for people to order.

Let me see what I can get tomorrow and I'll keep you posted.

Hi - Cashmere, thank you for the clarification and I totally appreciate your follow up. Much respect! I have to tell you, if you use or try to use a vape safe fuse in the 18350 (with no washers) the spring compresses too much and the connection is still made. The delrin spacer may give enough space to use one.

Thanks!!

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
Hi - Cashmere, thank you for the clarification and I totally appreciate your follow up. Much respect! I have to tell you, if you use or try to use a vape safe fuse in the 18350 (with no washers) the spring compresses too much and the connection is still made. The delrin spacer may give enough space to use one.

Thanks!!

Happy to help :) The spacer would have no bearing on the inside length of the tube. It wasn't a spacer, just an insulator. The delrin piece would just add length to the battery side and crush the spring even more. Your best bet (without marring up the current delrin piece) would be to add some sort of rubber gasket on the threaded switch portion of the tube.

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia
Appreciate your assistance, Cashmere! And I apologize if I seemed cranky with my post – didn’t mean to imply that you’re overcharging. In fact, I think the Legacy is one of the best deals out there for a solid mech mod. I was just cranky overall due to my own clumsiness for dropping the ring. (Plus, being told by my dentist earlier that day that I’m looking at $4 grand in dental work didn’t help my mood!)

On another note, I need to sand down the top edge of my Legacy standard tube so it fits flush against the top cap. Stephanie gave me some great info when she replied to my question through Puresmoker support. I want to preserve the look of the current finish, so I was planning on using 300 grit and working carefully. Would that work or is there a better approach?

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
Hey Hazozita ...

I honestly have no idea if 300 grit sand paper would work ... Worst case ~ if you sand it too finely, you can always continue polishing it ~ then get it bead blasted if you want the same look. A machine shop/auto shop/gun smith around should be able to do for just a couple bucks and a couple minutes.

As for the rings ~ the shop had no extra's when I stopped in. Plan to get back there this week, and hoping to get atleast a few so they can be ordered :) I'll keep this thread updated with info when I get it.

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia
Thanks for the tips, Cashmere. Haven't had time to do any sanding yet. Might just leave it as-is since I've gotten used to it -- only really notice it after I use the mini tube, which fits perfectly all around the circumference with both the flat top and the bevel top cap. The standard tube, in contrast, is a wee bit lopsided at the top.

By the way, I can't say how much I love the way the bottom switch works. Easy action, but still stiff enough that there's zero risk of firing when I put it down without locking it. Two big thumbs up!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread