Status
Not open for further replies.

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Tripple digits half way to home
I use a Legacy Standard with the extension tube to use a Kicked 18650 ... here are a couple of thoughts:

1. The Kick signals a low battery with what has been described as a "stutter" ... it feels like a mis-fire to me. Perhaps that is happening to you? This is a design feature of the Kick, and usually comes into play when the Kick thinks the battery is below 3.6V. I have several different Kicks, and this cutoff point seems to vary slightly ...

2. Like all mechanical mods, the Legacy will deliver peak performance when it is routinely disassembled and thoroughly cleaned. Depending on the heaviness of my usage, this complete strip-down and cleaning routine is done once a month or so for light usage, to weekly for heavy usage. (I would define heavy usage as being primary, all-day-device usage.)

3. The Kick is very sensitive to having a solid ground connection. The little brass spring affair that contacts the inside of the Legacy tube will oxidize over time and the contact between Kick and tube will start getting spotty, causing mis-fires. When I start getting mis-fires with a battery I know is well charged, my first—and usually last—troubleshooting step is to remove the Kick, clean the brass contact spring, and clean the area of the tube where the spring makes contact. (If this contact point is on the tube threads, simply rotating the Kick slightly will often improve the contact.)

When everything is clean and making good connections, the Kicked Legacy is one of the finest vapes I've ever experienced, and well worth the bit of extra maintenance effort that all mechanical mods—and especially Kicked ones—require. :laugh:

Agree 100% with all this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Sorry to hear about the kick not working properly with the Legacy. I've never had a problem with any of mine. (I have 3 of them.)
I think a lot of people overlook the Legacy as a mechanical device. I've been really happy with all mine. Nice build quality great customer service. Well enough so that I bought three of them. LOL. I've got each one set up for a different configuration. For the price I couldn't resist.

Alamedean

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2012
Alameda, CA
I use a Legacy Standard with the extension tube to use a Kicked 18650 ... here are a couple of thoughts:

1. The Kick signals a low battery with what has been described as a "stutter" ... it feels like a mis-fire to me. Perhaps that is happening to you? This is a design feature of the Kick, and usually comes into play when the Kick thinks the battery is below 3.6V. I have several different Kicks, and this cutoff point seems to vary slightly ...

2. Like all mechanical mods, the Legacy will deliver peak performance when it is routinely disassembled and thoroughly cleaned. Depending on the heaviness of my usage, this complete strip-down and cleaning routine is done once a month or so for light usage, to weekly for heavy usage. (I would define heavy usage as being primary, all-day-device usage.)

3. The Kick is very sensitive to having a solid ground connection. The little brass spring affair that contacts the inside of the Legacy tube will oxidize over time and the contact between Kick and tube will start getting spotty, causing mis-fires. When I start getting mis-fires with a battery I know is well charged, my first—and usually last—troubleshooting step is to remove the Kick, clean the brass contact spring, and clean the area of the tube where the spring makes contact. (If this contact point is on the tube threads, simply rotating the Kick slightly will often improve the contact.)

When everything is clean and making good connections, the Kicked Legacy is one of the finest vapes I've ever experienced, and well worth the bit of extra maintenance effort that all mechanical mods—and especially Kicked ones—require. :laugh:

Thanks Scott & TNT56,

I am a heavy user of my Kicked Legacy and though I do clean the contact at the top a lot, I have not been so diligent in the cleaning of the rest of this mod. Will take your well received advise and give it a try later tonight and advise.

Thank you very much for your insight.

Last edited:

TheSystemHasFailed

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2013
Valhalla
After reading those few last posts I got myself some dielectric grease at the auto parts store. Used it on the threads and in the switch assembly. Wow! Gave me + 0.1 v under load. Not bad for a little grease and 5 minutes of my time. Will keep using it every time I clean the Legacy. :)
Ok, so the Legacy is my first mech, hasn't arrived, but I have a question.
I usually see this "Noalox" being suggested for mechs, but you've also mentioned the dielectric grease.

Which is better, and should I be making a trip for some myself before it arrives?

Thanks.

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
I usually see this "Noalox" being suggested for mechs, but you've also mentioned the dielectric grease.

Which is better, and should I be making a trip for some myself before it arrives?

Thanks.

They are relatively similar in improving the electrical efficiency of the device. NOALOX tends to help with oxidation as well.

You should be able to pick some up at your local Home Depot! http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-NOALOX-4-oz-Anti-Oxidant-Compound-30-026/202276208#.Ua5JX9jDk_A

I use it on mechanical and electrical devices :)

thedesbois

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2012
Montreal, Canada

Thanks.

I have been wondering the same thing. I used dieletric grease because I could not find Noalox at my local store. I will let the makers themselves answer that one for us. They built it, we came.

TheSystemHasFailed

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2013
Valhalla
It arrives, Noalox every moving part. Beautiful unit.
Cant get anything to fire, only use ATM, IGO, AGA-T+, AGI.
Vamo for quick comparison..everything works. I install a ShortStop, it fires...

It was a space issue. Button throw.
If I didn't want to use the SS, I'd have to use washers in the trigger, correct?
And...does the screw that holds the trigger assembly need to be slightly tool tightened? I notice it floats if I do anything but.

Thanks!

Such a nice piece though.

Last edited:

thedesbois

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2012
Montreal, Canada
It arrives, Noalox every moving part. Beautiful unit.
Cant get anything to fire, only use ATM, IGO, AGA-T+, AGI.
Vamo for quick comparison..everything works. I install a ShortStop, it fires...

It was a space issue. Button throw.
If I didn't want to use the SS, I'd have to use washers in the trigger, correct?
And...does the screw that holds the trigger assembly need to be slightly tool tightened? I notice it floats if I do anything but.

Thanks!

Such a nice piece though.

Yes, you are correct. The included washers are for adjusting the trigger throw. I tighten my screw with a coin, just a little so it does not move but not too tight.

It is my daily mod and I love it more & more.

Xobeloot

The Dirty Monkey
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2013
Grafenwöhr, Germany
Yes, you are correct. The included washers are for adjusting the trigger throw. I tighten my screw with a coin, just a little so it does not move but not too tight.

I also had the issue with it coming loose. A quick twist with a penny and all was good to go.

I also stretched the spring about 1/4" to add a bit more tightness to the throw.

JUDGMENT AFFIRMED

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2012
BELLE VERNON PA.
the legacy works great without the kick.

:D
Yes it does. Thanks CaSH

Just placed my 3rd order in three months. I love my Legacy :D
I will definitely recommend the Legacy for anyone looking for a durable, reliable and easy to use APV.
Only wish I would have know about the Legacy when I started - could have saved a fortune :laugh:
Good luck to PureSmoker

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Sorry for the delay. But here they are in all their glory with the new flat tops. Every one works even better than the stock slant cap.
From left to right. Phiniac tank, IB Tank and then an AGA T2.

Attachments

• Legacy trio..jpg
    Legacy trio..jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 98
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread