Report Indicates Millennial Generation Will See Smoking Deaths Drop By At Least 20%

Status
Not open for further replies.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!

tailland

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 11, 2018
    Germany
    I ~roughly~ estimated how many ppl the tobacco industry killed over time.

In my country, it is said that 100.000 per year die from smoking related causes. My country has a population of about 80million people.The world has about 7 billion people, so the number of annual deaths should be an extrapolated 100,000 * 87,5 = 8.75 million.

Assuming that smoking has been a global habit since 70 years, and for the sake of the calculation assuming that the number of deaths has been steady over time, this would mean: 8.75 million * 70 = 612.5 million killed. That number would make even Karl Marx and the prophet Mohammed blush with shame.

For the longest time, the tobacco industry knew that their product was detrimental to people's health. And they worked their asses off to lie about it. In my humble opinion, this industry should be forcefully dissolved, all their assets seized, and their managers should rot in prison.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    It annoys the heck out of me when articles and even scholarly papers repeat the fallacious claim like:
    tobacco use continues to be the leading cause of preventable death and disease around the world
    I will contend that a poor diet and the obesity it leads to is currently far worse.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    I ~roughly~ estimated how many ppl the tobacco industry killed over time.

In my country, it is said that 100.000 per year die from smoking related causes. My country has a population of about 80million people.The world has about 7 billion people, so the number of annual deaths should be an extrapolated 100,000 * 87,5 = 8.75 million.

Assuming that smoking has been a global habit since 70 years, and for the sake of the calculation assuming that the number of deaths has been steady over time, this would mean: 8.75 million * 70 = 612.5 million killed. That number would make even Karl Marx and the prophet Mohammed blush with shame.
    This analysis is flawed because the world's population was nowhere close to 7 billion 70 years ago.

For the longest time, the tobacco industry knew that their product was detrimental to people's health. And they worked their asses off to lie about it. In my humble opinion, this industry should be forcefully dissolved, all their assets seized, and their managers should rot in prison.
    There was an autocratic politician in the 1930s and 1940s who would certainly agree with this approach.

But nobody has ever forced anyone to smoke, and just about every smoker (and ex-smoker) alive today was aware that it was dangerous before they started.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    I was 8yo when I started smoking, I blame no one but myself.
    That's about the age I was when I would occasionally steal a Winston from my step-dad. It wasn't till my mid-teen years that I became a regular, consistent smoker.

tailland

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 11, 2018
    Germany
    You seem to forget that the tobacco industry has not only made its product more addictive than it would naturally be, but also applied deceptive marketing and marketing especially targeting kids. That is the exact point where your responsibility ends and their culpability starts.

New Report Details How Tobacco Companies Have Made Cigarettes More Addictive, More Attractive to Kids and More Deadly

I see not 1 single reason to treat the tobacco industry, morally and legally, like drug dealers who sell hard drugs.
    There was an autocratic politician in the 1930s and 1940s who would certainly agree with this approach.
    Aha? Holding people responsible for dealing a deadly product, is just like being Adolf Hitler. Gotcha.

Last edited:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    As a kid nothing the tobacco companies did enticed me to smoke but the cereal companies sure enticed me to hound my mother for sugary sweet cereals. Kids smoke because adults do, adults smoke and know they shouldn't. I still eat cereals I know aren't good for me, should I take General Mills to court because I put my health at risk.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Man I don't want to argue it out much or anything, I just, as a Gen Xr, want to proudly salute you, Millennials! SERIOUSLY, as your bigger sister it's a huge thrill to watch you stop eating the glue sticks.

May you continue to rise and swell in awesomeness and all that. You get a trophy for NOT participating. Weird, I know BUT

NICELY DONE!! (even if it was on the work of your forefathers before you, but that's like true for EVERY generation, so I can't even fault you on THAT."

WAY TO NOT ACHIEVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anna

CarolT

ECF Veteran
    Feb 22, 2011
    Madison WI
    You seem to forget that the tobacco industry has not only made its product more addictive than it would naturally be, but also applied deceptive marketing and marketing especially targeting kids. That is the exact point where your responsibility ends and their culpability starts.

New Report Details How Tobacco Companies Have Made Cigarettes More Addictive, More Attractive to Kids and More Deadly

I see not 1 single reason to treat the tobacco industry, morally and legally, like drug dealers who sell hard drugs.
    Aha? Holding people responsible for dealing a deadly product, is just like being Adolf Hitler. Gotcha.
    "Nicotine addiction" is a lie If the data contradict the theory, throw out the data: Nicotine addiction in the 2010 report of the Surgeon General that "could only be sustained by systematically ignoring all contradictory evidence." The Surgeon General claims are flagrantly corrupt and biased, and were clearly concocted to serve the political agenda of outlawing tobacco.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
    Feb 22, 2011
    Madison WI
    Tobacco Control uses scientific fraud to falsely blame smoking for diseases really caused by infection. The biggest lie in numbers is blaming smoking for heart disease that's really caused by cytomegalovirus. CMV & other infections cause heart disease

In NHANES data, 40% of cardiovascular disease is due to CMV. This is as much as for hypertension, the largest acknowledged risk factor.
    Persistent pathogens linking socioeconomic position and cardiovascular disease in the US | International Journal of Epidemiology | Oxford Academic
    Commentary: Understanding the pathophysiology of poverty | International Journal of Epidemiology | Oxford Academic

There is more CMV infection among the working class, which includes more smokers, and that is where the spurious smoking risk comes from. They ignore the CMV, in order to blame smoking. So there won't be any big drop in actual deaths, because heart disease plus many other supposed smoking-related deaths are not caused by smoking in the first place.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA

The Campaign For Tobacco Free Kids. They're now much the same argument trying to get flavors banned from vapes, and would happily ban vapes entirely if they had the power and influence to do so.

Freedom means an individual is responsible for his or her own choices and actions. No tobacco company ever made me (or anyone else) start or continue to smoke.

marianna

ECF Veteran
    Jun 30, 2012
    Netherlands
    In my humble opinion, this industry should be forcefully dissolved, all their assets seized, and their managers should rot in prison.

Not in my opinion. Let old and/or disabled people enjoy their pipes, cigars, cigarettes, shag, etc. They can often not live without tobacco.
    And the purchase of mods, batteries, chargers, RTA's, RDA's, e-liquids, etc. is too expensive for them.
    Besides, old people often can't use the internet (not buy from China); most don't even have a computer.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Uh, I think that's a lot of assumptions about the elderly there, @marianna . I also think like every political person should just LEAVE everything alone.

But, I have known of several octogenarians switch to vaping. It's easy to say "Well, they've smoked this long, it doesn't matter." But, that's a meaningless phrase, for all I know one of the "elderly" who switched to vaping may have lived out five years in peace, or may have lived out their last five years pleasantly and etc. I mean, I don't KNOW. I'm not God.

Neither are the politicians but like, well, they just think they are.

Anan

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Report Indicates Millennial Generation Will See Smoking Deaths Drop By At Least 20%
    I think the number might end up considerably higher than 20%.

My wife and I went to a concert on Saturday evening. Details here. The venue is semi-outdoors, but technically smoking and vaping isn't allowed, and there are signs to that effect. However, when the place gets filled up, that becomes essentially unenforceable and was widely ignored. The age distribution of the audience peaked at a lower point than I would have expected; I would say the average was in the mid-to-high 20s, so very much in the "millennial generation". Bottom line: Far more of them were vaping than smoking. A few were chucking clouds, but many more were using pods and other, relatively discreet devices.

More data: My daughter is just starting her third year in college. She neither vapes nor smokes, but is a pretty observant young woman, and says hardly anyone on campus smokes, but plenty of people vape. In fact, she's hit me up for pictures of my gear to show some of her friends that yes, at least some people well into middle age also vape. :laugh:

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread