Requesting Comments ~ Am I Doing This Right??

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaZeR

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
USA & Canada
Hey Vapers, I've only ever used the KR-808-D1 threaded V2 Cigs & Halo G6 small devices. WHY? TBH I like them ~ they're the closest physically to real cigarettes ~ and pretty satisfactory as far as I'm concerned.

However, only just today got a smok Nord (mostly due to curiosity & hype), and vaping with it, for me anyway, Feels Much Different than with my 808 devices, and I'm finding it a bit challenging getting used to vaping with the Smok Nord. I've tried ALL the different coils.

You have to wrap your mouth around the mouthpiece which of course is NOT like a real cigarette, NOR an 808 type device, when I vape with the Smok Nord it feels a lot more "airy" (not sure if that's the right word) and "looser" than with my 808's, and just not as effective MTL. DTL with the Smok Nord works pretty good, sometimes harsh, but I prefer MTL.

Am I doing something wrong, or should I be doing things differently with the Smok Nord versus 808 devices? Thanks!!

PS >>> Hoping & Trying to Avoid Buyer's Remorse!! :eek:

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
From what I have seen here avoiding buyers remorse is a very unusual thing with SMOK brand stuff. They have a big reputation for electronics failure due to bad workmanship. That’s a different thing than your issue though. I’m not a Nord user, but iirc the device controls draw tightness with coil type. Some are looser than others. If the high ohm “MTL” coil cartridges are still too loose for you you’re probably SOL. Most devices won’t be tight enough for your preference I suspect. The only device I know of that might work for you is a berserker v1, and that’s because you can vary the draw using insert blocks. It’s also a totally different type of device which may not interest you at all.

There are people here who like only the tightest of MTL draws, and they may have some better suggestions for you. Wow. Kr808 cigalikes huh? Haven’t seen one of those in many years. At least your vape standards won’t be very high. Anything with a tight enough draw should make you happy.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
I think you may end up with remorse on this one. Sorry. You may find closing off some of the air channel with your finger, or something more permanent, if you like how it works for you. I'm guessing there are much better devices for your needs. I don't have one yet, but one on the way, and what ive read, you'll likely like the geekvape frenzy more. Tighter draw, and a round mouthpiece.

I've used the 808, and several Nord devices, btw.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I think you may end up with remorse on this one. Sorry. You may find closing off some of the air channel with your finger, or something more permanent, if you like how it works for you. I'm guessing there are much better devices for your needs. I don't have one yet, but one on the way, and what ive read, you'll likely like the geekvape frenzy more. Tighter draw, and a round mouthpiece.

You make a fair point.. there is always tape. Might overheat the coil of course.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
You make a fair point.. there is always tape. Might overheat the coil of course.
The 1.4ohm coil isn't prone to that nearly as much as the 0.6 is. When the Nord was my only device, I chained the 1.4, and would go through about one coil a day, maybe 10-12mL. Better than the 808 by far. Also, the Nord n-priv has adjustable air, and the Nord pod is airy even with the air holes blocked completely, as the pod doesn't seal against the housing.

Last edited:

Upandcomingvgod

Aug 15, 2019
Hey Vapers, I've only ever used the KR-808-D1 threaded V2 Cigs & Halo G6 small devices. WHY? TBH I like them ~ they're the closest physically to real cigarettes ~ and pretty satisfactory as far as I'm concerned.

However, only just today got a Smok Nord (mostly due to curiosity & hype), and vaping with it, for me anyway, Feels Much Different than with my 808 devices, and I'm finding it a bit challenging getting used to vaping with the Smok Nord. I've tried ALL the different coils.

You have to wrap your mouth around the mouthpiece which of course is NOT like a real cigarette, NOR an 808 type device, when I vape with the Smok Nord it feels a lot more "airy" (not sure if that's the right word) and "looser" than with my 808's, and just not as effective MTL. DTL with the Smok Nord works pretty good, sometimes harsh, but I prefer MTL.

Am I doing something wrong, or should I be doing things differently with the Smok Nord versus 808 devices? Thanks!!

Sadly its more drc than anything else

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL

However, only just today got a Smok Nord (mostly due to curiosity & hype), and vaping with it, for me anyway, Feels Much Different than with my 808 devices, and I'm finding it a bit challenging getting used to vaping with the Smok Nord. I've tried ALL the different coils.

I agree with you on the Nord's mouthpiece. Somehow, it became popular in AIO's and pods to have the big duck bill mouthpiece that you have to put in your mouth. Uncomfortable and intrusive to me. Otherwise, the Nord has a good size and form factor, and it's a plus that you can change draw with the coil.

But really, I believe Nord is basically a pod for those one or two steps down from cloud chasing. It produces a lot of vapor that might satisfy some people. But you'll find that restricting the draw on any device won't give you the same quality of hit of a MTL device designed for lower air flow in the first place. Tape won't really work on Nord. Air intake is the sides of the coil, in a recessed area under the pod. I hacked it by stuffing paper towel in one side. You could also fill in the slots on the sides that allow air in. But it still doesn't do it for me.

Not a cigalike, but the best two smaller "Juul shaped" devices I've tried is the HCigar Akso - very tight (tightest I've tried), hits great, and their closed pod juices were great. But too hard to find replacement pods. But what I'm using 75% of the time now is my Vladdin RE. To me, no feature matters if it doesn't give a good, solid hit, and like you, I still prefer a cigarette type draw. The Vladdin has been fantastic. Takes a half dozen hits to break in the coil, but it's pretty amazing after that. And I use NET, a notorious coil killer. I can refill these pods 5-6 times before tossing, which is better life than any pod I've used.

Oh, and I have the Frenzy, too. Not quite as airy as Nord, but still designed for greater air flow. Not bad, but even dialed down low, it just doesn't deliver that good, dense hit.

In the meantime, here's how you can close off some airflow on your Nord:
upload_2019-8-17_10-57-55.png

proax9

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2011
Pomona, NY
The Nord is built to be more airy, basically a DL vape. For me it's what I prefer. I also have a Vaporesso Nexus which is more restrictive, and also a Zero which the is the most restrictive.
While you can probably reduce the air flow to more of a MTL draw, there are other pods that are geared to MTL vaping.
I think most, if not all, have more of the 'duck bill' mouthpiece though.

• Informative
Reactions: LaZeR

LaZeR

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
USA & Canada
OK THANKS @All.

Smok Nord Marketing has both MTL and DTL plastered all over but as we can see it's definitely much more of a DTL device. Guess Yet Again I fell for Hype & Marketing. :rolleyes:

Compelling myself to avoid buyer's remorse by trying some of the solutions proposed and also changing vaping style to DL. :ohmy:

Last edited:
  • Optimistic
Reactions: HigherStateD

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
OK THANKS @All.

Smok Nord Marketing has both MTL and DTL plastered all over but as we can see it's definitely much more of a DTL device. Guess Yet Again I fell for Hype & Marketing. :rolleyes:

Compelling myself to avoid buyer's remorse by trying some of the solutions proposed and also changing vaping style to DL. :ohmy:
Be sure to let us know how that works out for you!

LaZeR

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
USA & Canada
... When the Nord was my only device, I chained the 1.4, and would go through about one coil a day, maybe 10-12mL. ...
Whaaaatttt "one coil per day" when the average is 2 weeks?!? :eek: No offence dude but that sounds rather psychotic!!
Be sure to let us know how that works out for you!
OK well tape over the mouthpiece works well but feels invasive & UN-authentic of course. Here's another solution ~ when vaping just put your tongue over the airflow to block it which also really allows tasting your eJuice! :cool:

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
OK THANKS @All.

Past mod behavior says that a device that claims to do both MTL and DL does neither well. There have arguably been the occasional exception. The crown1 comes to mind though I’ve never vaped one so I can’t confirm. The OP doesn’t want just MTL though he apparently wants a really really tight collapse-a-drinking-straw level MTL. It’s a less common preference. There aren’t that many devices that still provide that. Part of the problem is people say MTL or tight MTL, but they mean different things. There’s a lot of slop in that definition.

At this point my best guess on what to recommend might actually be a kanger evod system. They’re small, cheap, and old enough that the predate DL entirely so it might be tight enough. The batteries will likely drive him slowly insane, but they’re no worse than KR808s that way.

• Agree

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Whaaaatttt "one coil per day"?!? :eek: No offence dude but that sounds rather psychotic!!
I'd go through about the same with 808 carts. Chain vaping, when it was my only device, yes, a coil a day. I also order mine from China for less than6.50$ a pack. What really was psychotic was using 35mg salt nic with the 0.6ohm coil. On that note, I have a friend I'm trying to help switch, and he complains he can't get 55mg in 70/30 so the Nord I gave him won't leak...

LaZeR

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
USA & Canada
... Wow. Kr808 cigalikes huh? Haven’t seen one of those in many years.
This is pretty common among veteren vapers and of course those who completely bypassed 808 love ("WHAT TF is THAT??"). In my case I have FIVE all going stong (*knock* *knock* *knock* on wood)! :cool: 1 - Original V2, 1 - Manual generic brand, 2 - Halo G6, and 1 - USB Pass Through (no battery gives ya more power than any mod but you can't carry it around of course). Plus, 808s can look good hangin around your neck on a Lanyard, so you can wear them at the office, or if you're wearing a suit at a wedding. Would you want to wear a 510 or mod around your neck at work??:eek:

Trying to find an adapter so I can use 510 tanks on 808 threads.

Last edited:
Reactions: bombastinator

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
This is pretty common among veteren vapers and of course those who completely bypassed 808 love ("WHAT TF is THAT??"). In my case I have FIVE all going stong (*knock* *knock* *knock* on wood)! :cool: 1 - Original V2, 1 - Manual generic brand, 2 - Halo G6, and 1 - USB Pass Through (no battery gives ya more power than any mod but you can't carry it around of course). Trying to find an adapter so I can use 510 tanks on 808 threads.
901 threading works for an 808 substitute. Those 901 to 510 is MUCH easier to find. In case you didn't know, but I'm guessing you already do.

LaZeR

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
USA & Canada
901 threading works for an 808 substitute. Those 901 to 510 is MUCH easier to find. In case you didn't know, but I'm guessing you already do.
But I don't have any 901s. Could you clarify plz?

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
But I don't have any 901s. Could you clarify plz?
Sure!

The threading on the DSE-901 is nearly identical to the kr808-D1.
A 901 atomizer will fit and work perfectly on a 808, and vise versa.

So, if you get a 901 to 510 adapter, it will work as an 808 to 510 as well.

• Informative
Reactions: LaZeR

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
This is pretty common among veteren vapers and of course those who completely bypassed 808 love ("WHAT TF is THAT??"). In my case I have FIVE all going stong (*knock* *knock* *knock* on wood)! :cool: 1 - Original V2, 1 - Manual generic brand, 2 - Halo G6, and 1 - USB Pass Through (no battery gives ya more power than any mod but you can't carry it around of course). Plus, they can look good hangin around your neck on a Lanyard, so you can wear them at the office, or if you're wearing a suit at a wedding.:eek:

Iirc I went from RN4095 to 510. 808s weren’t available in my area till I’d moved on to 510. Iirc the main advantage of the 808s was they were a bit larger than 510 and often ran at a higher voltage. They were more proprietary, harder to get and more expensive than 510. They got crushed by the EGO stuff.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread