Requesting Comments ~ Am I Doing This Right??

Status
Not open for further replies.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
Iirc I went from RN4095 to 510. 808s weren’t available in my area till I’d moved on to 510. Iirc the main advantage of the 808s was they were a bit larger than 510 and often ran at a higher voltage. They were more proprietary, harder to get and more expensive than 510. They got crushed by the EGO stuff.
Wow, ok, if my memory serves correctly, the 510 used 3.3v, the 808 used 3.8, and the 901 used 4.2v. the 808 was a little thicker, but only just. About 0.5mm. the 901 had the tightest draw, however, and could provide enough restriction to suck my cheeks to my teeth.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Wow, ok, if my memory serves correctly, the 510 used 3.3v, the 808 used 3.8, and the 901 used 4.2v. the 808 was a little thicker, but only just. About 0.5mm. the 901 had the tightest draw, however, and could provide enough restriction to suck my cheeks to my teeth.
Some 510s used 2.2v

• Informative
Reactions: HigherStateD

LaZeR

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
USA & Canada
Iirc I went from RN4095 to 510. 808s weren’t available in my area till I’d moved on to 510.
Ya weird ~ that's why I wrote in my post "of course those who completely bypassed 808 love".
Iirc the main advantage of the 808s was they were a bit larger than 510 and often ran at a higher voltage.
Uhm... are you sure you guys don't mean the opposite ~ i.e. 808s are "smaller", thinner, and "lower voltage"? Quite sure that's the case. Also, don't forget the "wearable" aspect!;)

Last edited:

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Ya weird ~ that's why I wrote in my post "of course those who completely bypassed 808 love".Uhm... are you sure you guys don't mean the opposite ~ i.e. 808s are "smaller", thinner, and "lower voltage"? Quite sure that's the case. Also, don't forget the "wearable" aspect!;)
The original 510 was 9mm, where as the 901/808/RN4081 were all 9.5mm

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Ya weird ~ that's why I wrote in my post "of course those who completely bypassed 808 love".Uhm... are you sure you guys don't mean the opposite ~ i.e. 808s are "smaller", thinner, and "lower voltage"? Quite sure that's the case. Also, don't forget the "wearable" aspect!;)
It’s not impossible I’m remembering it wrong. My memory though was the 808s were referred to as “pen style” because they were bigger than “cigalikes” like the 501s

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
It’s not impossible I’m remembering it wrong. My memory though was the 808s were referred to as “pen style” because they were bigger than “cigalikes” like the 501s
808s were only marginally bigger, still cig-a-like. I don't remember if or what kangers pen style was, but the DSE pen style was the 801, which is where the drip tip standard of today comes from/gets it's name.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
808s were only marginally bigger, still cig-a-like. I don't remember if or what kangers pen style was, but the DSE pen style was the 801, which is where the drip tip standard of today comes from/gets it's name.
Possible I’m confusing 801s and 808s

• Agree
Reactions: HigherStateD

vicsch

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2019
Hey Vapers, I've only ever used the KR-808-D1 threaded V2 Cigs & Halo G6 small devices. WHY? TBH I like them ~ they're the closest physically to real cigarettes ~ and pretty satisfactory as far as I'm concerned.

However, only just today got a Smok Nord (mostly due to curiosity & hype), and vaping with it, for me anyway, Feels Much Different than with my 808 devices, and I'm finding it a bit challenging getting used to vaping with the Smok Nord. I've tried ALL the different coils.

You have to wrap your mouth around the mouthpiece which of course is NOT like a real cigarette, NOR an 808 type device, when I vape with the Smok Nord it feels a lot more "airy" (not sure if that's the right word) and "looser" than with my 808's, and just not as effective MTL. DTL with the Smok Nord works pretty good, sometimes harsh, but I prefer MTL.

Am I doing something wrong, or should I be doing things differently with the Smok Nord versus 808 devices? Thanks!!

PS >>> Hoping & Trying to Avoid Buyer's Remorse!! :eek:
Anyone have/had an Eleaf iCare 2 w/1.3 ohm coil ?
Its another pod device for the collection ..
The other 6 need a sis/or bro
I jus thought it was cute & good ole price ...Hey if it last a few vapes i think it be worth the $ $ & the fun of vapin' & usin' !

vicsch

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2019
From what I have seen here avoiding buyers remorse is a very unusual thing with SMOK brand stuff. They have a big reputation for electronics failure due to bad workmanship. That’s a different thing than your issue though. I’m not a Nord user, but iirc the device controls draw tightness with coil type. Some are looser than others. If the high ohm “MTL” coil cartridges are still too loose for you you’re probably SOL. Most devices won’t be tight enough for your preference I suspect. The only device I know of that might work for you is a berserker v1, and that’s because you can vary the draw using insert blocks. It’s also a totally different type of device which may not interest you at all.

There are people here who like only the tightest of MTL draws, and they may have some better suggestions for you. Wow. Kr808 cigalikes huh? Haven’t seen one of those in many years. At least your vape standards won’t be very high. Anything with a tight enough draw should make you happy.
U sure dislike Smok cause I've read a few comments in other forums/rooms in here u made ...
U must been treated badly by them to keep knockin' 'em ..
I have 3 pod devices by Smok & no prob.at least yet anyway & They have out-lasted more than what I expected ..

• Informative
Reactions: LaZeR

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
U sure dislike Smok cause I've read a few comments in other forums/rooms in here u made ...
U must been treated badly by them to keep knockin' 'em ..
I have 3 pod devices by Smok & no prob.at least yet anyway & They have out-lasted more than what I expected ..
It’s experience.
My attitude about SMOK is mostly statistical. I’ve never owned a SMOK device that didn’t fail on me. Twice very pyrotechnically. I have avoided actually buying them myself for some years, but Ive hung out here regularly for a good while. Chances are when some noob posts with a “why did my mod stop working after three weeks” question it’s going to turn out to be a SMOK mod. Not absolutely all the time. Occasionally some other company puts out a single bad product where there’s a repetitive problem. Wismec did a device or two that had problems with the 510 connector for example. It’s basically never across every device they make though. Except for SMOK. With SMOK it’s exceptional when a device doesn’t produce a bunch of failures. I suppose it’s happened. I wouldn’t hear about it of course because the people didn’t post to say “this thing broke”
I’m not the only one. Some of the regular posters her are shop owners/workers or former shop owners/workers who had to quit carrying SMOK stuff because they got so many non working devices returned they literally couldn’t afford to carry them. People have opened devices and posted pics of the incredibly bad manufacturing of SMOK stuff.

I keep hoping SMOK will get the memo and improve their production quality. It’s possible it’s starting to happen. There hasn’t been a truly rampant failure fest like the SMOK alien for a while. Still stuff pops up though. People have taken apart the smok pen and discovered cigalike batteries wrapped in bubble wrap to fill the space. Apparently the Nord has a fairly light draw because the parts are so poorly put together it draws air in through the seams of the case rather than the air hole.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
According to the consensus on here, you must be mistaken. /sarc
I dunno. There have been SMOK devices that have lasted. It’s just more rare than it should be.
What is expected varies a lot person to person.
Any given device should last long enough to wear out the battery if not treated too roughly. This normally means somewhere close to a year. From what I can see on this forum SMOK device lifespan is more like 3 weeks to 6 months. Still half what is should be. Or what pretty much every other device does. I consider the vladdin Re to be a fragile device for example. It performs quite well unless the vacuum switch gets fouled with juice. That’s not particularly difficult to do though and so far no one has figured out a good way to clean the switch chamber. If you keep that particular problem from happening though there’s no reason not to expect the battery to go till it wears out though.

vicsch

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2019
It’s experience.
My attitude about SMOK is mostly statistical. I’ve never owned a SMOK device that didn’t fail on me. Twice very pyrotechnically. I have avoided actually buying them myself for some years, but Ive hung out here regularly for a good while. Chances are when some noob posts with a “why did my mod stop working after three weeks” question it’s going to turn out to be a SMOK mod. Not absolutely all the time. Occasionally some other company puts out a single bad product where there’s a repetitive problem. Wismec did a device or two that had problems with the 510 connector for example. It’s basically never across every device they make though. Except for SMOK. With SMOK it’s exceptional when a device doesn’t produce a bunch of failures. I suppose it’s happened. I wouldn’t hear about it of course because the people didn’t post to say “this thing broke”
I’m not the only one. Some of the regular posters her are shop owners/workers or former shop owners/workers who had to quit carrying SMOK stuff because they got so many non working devices returned they literally couldn’t afford to carry them. People have opened devices and posted pics of the incredibly bad manufacturing of SMOK stuff.

I keep hoping SMOK will get the memo and improve their production quality. It’s possible it’s starting to happen. There hasn’t been a truly rampant failure fest like the SMOK alien for a while. Still stuff pops up though. People have taken apart the smok pen and discovered cigalike batteries wrapped in bubble wrap to fill the space. Apparently the Nord has a fairly light draw because the parts are so poorly put together it draws air in through the seams of the case rather than the air hole.
Ohhh ok ..I knew it was somethin' eatin' at u 'bout them ...Wow but 3 weeks think I be jus' alittle preturbed also ... Hasn't happened yet but always a chance ...Jus' like an automobile there's LEMON's ..All 'round us in all shapes/sizes/etc ..hun !
Not to change the subject tho me & my lit' sis went out early this A.M. lookin' at cars & i brought home a Toyota Corolla back .. We jus' kept lookin' & drivin' til I found a good priced one ...Anyone own/had one those before ?
I have no ole' man to ask so jus' thought I'd ask a few u guys in here jus' alittle info/experience owning/havin' one !

LaZeR

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
USA & Canada
... Not to change the subject tho me & my lit' sis went out early this A.M. lookin' at cars & i brought home a Toyota Corolla back .. We jus' kept lookin' & drivin' til I found a good priced one ...Anyone own/had one those before? I have no ole' man to ask so jus' thought I'd ask a few u guys in here jus' alittle info/experience owning/havin' one !
Yep, Toyota Corolla's last a LONG TIME if they're taken care of (know from experience).

On another note kinda weird all the snaky twists & turns in this thread!!:cool:

• Agree
Reactions: bombastinator

vicsch

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2019
Ohhh ok ..I knew it was somethin' eatin' at u 'bout them ...Wow but 3 weeks think I be jus' alittle preturbed also ... Hasn't happened yet but always a chance ...Jus' like an automobile there's LEMON's ..All 'round us in all shapes/sizes/etc ..hun !
Not to change the subject tho me & my lit' sis went out early this A.M. lookin' at cars & i brought home a Toyota Corolla back .. We jus' kept lookin' & drivin' til I found a good priced one ...Anyone own/had one those before ?
I have no ole' man to ask so jus' thought I'd ask a few u guys in here jus' alittle info/experience owning/havin' one ![/QUOTE
I dunno. There have been SMOK devices that have lasted. It’s just more rare than it should be.
What is expected varies a lot person to person.
Any given device should last long enough to wear out the battery if not treated too roughly. This normally means somewhere close to a year. From what I can see on this forum SMOK device lifespan is more like 3 weeks to 6 months. Still half what is should be. Or what pretty much every other device does. I consider the vladdin Re to be a fragile device for example. It performs quite well unless the vacuum switch gets fouled with juice. That’s not particularly difficult to do though and so far no one has figured out a good way to clean the switch chamber. If you keep that particular problem from happening though there’s no reason not to expect the battery to go till it wears out though.
yes I've heard from a few peeps In here they say don't get a vladdin so I haven't ... I live in a small town w/afew vape shops that have hardly no-knowledge-employees about devices etc. it's a wonder they are still in business I quit going to them & they try to be mixologists & fail cause their e-liquids are terrible ..afew of the guys & w/Baditudes knowledge have assisted/helped me almost get over the fear of ordering on-line cause i didnt trust any of them or order anything ! ...

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I have no ole' man to ask so jus' thought I'd ask a few u guys in here jus' alittle info/experience owning/havin' one !
:offtopic:
This is wildly off topic but I’ll try:

A used car? You bought More or less randomly?

Toyota has an excellent rep brand wise, but there will be variances. Model matters, Version matters, year matters, mileage matters, repair history matters. Did you get it looked at by a competent mechanic you trust before you bought it? The big question: why was the car being sold?

One rule of anything sold used: You are buying someone else’s problem.

Nothing is EVER sold used unless the seller has a reason to get rid of it. Very occasionally that reason is something innocuous like “I have to move” or “the owner died” Much much more commonly that something is it’s defective in some way and needs a repair expensive enough that the owner would rather just sell it. With a car the chances are extremely high that it will need something fixed. Possibly desperately. The vehicle needs to go to a mechanic you know will not cheat you (that bit is really important) and be gone through to find what if anything is wrong. This is where the trust thing comes in. A mechanic at that point COULD tell you it needs a bunch of stuff it actually doesn’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread