Couple QUESTIONS & Comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaZeR

ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
USA & Canada
Hey Vapes, my Main two devices are smok Nord Pod & Smok Nord Vape Pen. Just have a couple Questions/Comments:

1) Sometimes I need to change Coils in the middle of a half full tank. Of course I turn the tank sideways &/or upside down in order to NOT waste nicQuid, but then a lot seeps into or through the mouthpiece, &/or spills all over the frickin place. Just wondering - do you ever feel the need to change Coils in the middle of a 1/2 tank, and in order to NOT waste it, do you first pour it out, and then replace, or something else, etc?

2) I find that the nicotine effectiveness from hits of Nic Salts is much greater than that of standard PG/VG nicQuid. Is this also your experience? However, also find that with the SAME amount of vaping Nic Salts are consumed much faster!! :confused:

Thanks In Advance!!

Last edited:

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
When I used a nord, yes, I tried to be as frugal as possible. I'd do much as you described, hold the tank sideways. Now I've discovered squonking, and build my own coils and make my own juice. I've found this tactic to be far more cost effective, and allows me to further tailor the efficacy of the nicotine I use, by blending different salts together.

Richard Winter

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Hey Vapes, my Main two devices are Smok Nord Pod & Smok Nord Vape Pen. Just have a couple Questions/Comments:

1) Sometimes I need to change Coils in the middle of a half full tank. Of course I turn the tank sideways &/or upside down in order to NOT waste nicQuid, but then a lot seeps into or through the mouthpiece, &/or all over the frickin place. Just wondering - do you ever feel the need to change Coils in the middle of a 1/2 tank, and in order to NOT waste it, do you first pour it out, and then replace, or something else, etc?

2) I find that the nicotine effectiveness from hits of Nic Salts is much greater than that of standard PG/VG nicQuid. Is this also your experience? However, also find that with the SAME amount of vaping Nic Salts burn out much faster!! :confused:

Thanks In Advance!!
    Unfortunately some of the pods and tank do suffer from this when having to change out the coil half way thru a tank of juice. I try to pour it out if the coil has totally gone or if it's on its way out I will solder on with the coil till the tank is empty.
    Nic salts will give you a quicker nicotine hit than free base does. I've not noticed that nic salts burn a coil out any quicker than freebase tho. It's usually higher VG or sweetened e liquid that causes that.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2019
    Not sure if your last question was during an edit, but I didn't see it until now. Coil burnout, if that's what you're asking about, shouldn't be affected either way by salt vs freebase. Certain flavors, sweeteners, and thicker, or higher % VG, would lead to faster wick segregation/coil "gunking."

LaZeR

ECF Veteran
    Aug 21, 2013
    USA & Canada
    Nic salts will give you a quicker nicotine hit than free base does. I've not noticed that nic salts burn a coil out any quicker than freebase tho. It's usually higher VG or sweetened e liquid that causes that.
    Not sure if your last question was during an edit, but I didn't see it until now. Coil burnout, if that's what you're asking about, shouldn't be affected either way by salt vs freebase. Certain flavors, sweeteners, and thicker, or higher % VG, would lead to faster wick segregation/coil "gunking."
    Not referring to Coil Burnout... I mean that with the same amount of vaping, Nic Salts get consumed much more quickly (i.e. burn faster), versus the same amount of regular NicQuid. I updated the last sentence in the OP.

Last edited:

Richard Winter

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Not referring to Coil Burnout... I mean that with the same amount of vaping, Nic Salts get consumed much more quickly (i.e. burn faster), versus the same amount of regular NicQuid.
    I cant say I've noticed that but in my defence I dont use Nic Salts that much, i tend to stick with freebase.

Reactions: LaZeR

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2019
    Not referring to Coil Burnout... I mean that with the same amount of vaping, Nic Salts get consumed much more quickly (i.e. burn faster), versus the same amount of regular NicQuid.
    That might be due to thinner juice which would wick more easily. If everything else is equal, coil, wattage, airflow, PG/VG ratio, than salt or freebase should vape at the same rate.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    Nic salts are basically freebase nic w/ an acid added, usually benzoic acid I think. This does make the 'nic effect' quicker to happen, but also not 'last as long'. This could be why one goes thru nic salt eliq faster than freebase nic.

eta: nic salts were primarily developed so a higher nic level could be vaped, without the added throat irritation of the higher nic level.

LaZeR

ECF Veteran
    Aug 21, 2013
    USA & Canada
    Nic salts are basically freebase nic w/ an acid added, usually benzoic acid I think. This does make the 'nic effect' quicker to happen, but also not 'last as long'. This could be why one goes thru nic salt eliq faster than freebase nic.

eta: nic salts were primarily developed so a higher nic level could be vaped, without the added throat irritation of the higher nic level.
    Good Post but why doesn't the nicotine effect last as long with Nic Salts with a much higher nicotine level, and also almost double the cost, versus regular nicQuid? For example, say you take a few hits of nic salts which my bottle says is a whopping 50mg, why doesn't the amount of nicotine intake last longer than a few hits of regular nicQuid which my bottle says is 32mg? If this is the case I'm thinking of no longer buying nic salts coz I get 1/2 the amount at an even higher price.

Last edited:

Richard Winter

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Good Post but why doesn't the nicotine effect last as long with Nic Salts with a much higher nicotine level, and also almost double the cost, versus regular nicQuid? For example, say you take a few hits of nic salts which my bottle says is a whopping 60mg, why doesn't the amount of nicotine intake last longer than a few hits of regular nicQuid which my bottle says is 32mg? If this is the case I'm thinking of no longer buying nic salts coz I get 1/2 the amount at an even higher price.
    Nic salts are absorbed into the blood stream much quicker than freebase which gives you the fairly instant hit like a cigarette but then the effect tails off quicker.
    Freebase takes longer to be absorbed so you could argue one would vape more which builds up the nicotine content in the blood stream which would in effect last longer.

LaZeR

ECF Veteran
    Aug 21, 2013
    USA & Canada
    Thanks... above was corrected from 60mg to 50mg. Here's Halo's marketing commentary on Nic Salts pasted verbatim: Here are some of the features:
    • Faster, more powerful nicotine delivery
    • Minimal vapor production - allows discreet “anywhere” vaping
    • Longer-lasting nicotine effect - less consumption saves you money!
    • Analog cigarette-like experience - ideal if you’re a smoker looking to switch!
    • Perfect throat hit
    • Salts usually have longer shelf life

Last edited:

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    ..why doesn't the nicotine effect last as long with Nic Salts ..
    I'm not a chemist, and I didn't stay in any motels (I forget which one was in the commercial) last night, but maybe the additive to freebase to make the nic 'hit you quicker' makes it 'fade out quicker'. As far as the Halo commentary, I think it's either just marketing hype or maybe they found another additive to add to make it like they say. Luckily for me, I started vaping before salts came around or became widely known, so I'm happy with plain ol' freebase and have no intention of trying out salts.

• Agree
    Reactions: MacTechVpr

BobbyV

ECF Veteran
    Dec 4, 2011
    Dallas Texas
    I've been vaping sub-ohm devices for years and have reduced my nicotine percentage to 3mg. My wife complained about the clouds when vaping indoors or in the car so I purchased a disposable (Puff Bar $9.25) as I believed they produced much less vapor. My local vape shop suggested I try the Uwell Caliburn as it would be less cost than disposables. They also gave me my first salt nic juice at 50 mg.

I chain vape my sub-ohms at 40W to 50W with 3 mg nicotine. I find that with the Caliburn and 50 mg salt nic, I hit the device more like I did when smoking. 10 to 12 hits and I'm good - I don't feel the need to chain vape. Is this a common reaction to the higher nicotine level? I also think I can drop to 35mg salt nic and not notice any difference. I've had the Caliburn for 5 days and only refilled the 2ml tank twice.

Is there any advantage over chain vaping at low nic and 40W to 50W versus periodic vaping at high nic at 11W? For my sub-ohm tanks, would a higher nic level, say 12mg to 18mg, act to reduce my desire to chain vape?

Reactions: HigherStateD

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    For my sub-ohm tanks, would a higher nic level, say 12mg to 18mg, act to reduce my desire to chain vape?
    In the mornings I drip 18mg freebase purely for the nic buzz I got from a cig. Like you 10-12 hits and I'm good. That works well for me. The rest of the day I'm at 3mg and/or 6mg.

Maybe try a higher nic level with your tanks and see how that works for you.

Alternatively you could try your nic salts in your atty and see how that goes. From my understanding nic salts can be used in any atty.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2019
    In the mornings I drip 18mg freebase purely for the nic buzz I got from a cig. Like you 10-12 hits and I'm good. That works well for me. The rest of the day I'm at 3mg and/or 6mg.

Maybe try a higher nic level with your tanks and see how that works for you.

Alternatively you could try your nic salts in your atty and see how that goes. From my understanding nic salts can be used in any atty.
    Salt nic can be used in any atty, but I would NOT vape 35mg salt at 40-50w. I personally vape 3mg salt at about 60w. 1mg at about 120w.

• Optimistic
    Reactions: ShowMeTwice
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread