Research du jour

Status
Not open for further replies.

genmunden

Jun 22, 2009
Indiana
I thought I would share my "research du jour" since I like to analyze things.

Today's test: Compare the number of puffs from analog to vapor cigarette

Description: I smoked a regular cig and counted puffs and time it took then vaped for the same amount of time to count the puffs I took.

Results:
Took me 5 minutes to smoke a regular cigarette so I vaped for 5 minutes.
Regular cig: 20 puffs
eCig: 40 puffs
puffs/minute from regular cigarette: 4
Puffs/minute from ecig: 8

Conclusion 1: I vape twice as much as I smoke.

Conclusion 2: When an ad touts that an ecig cartridge is = X number of cigarettes you might as well cut that in half! You do not vape the same way you used to smoke! It took me 5 minutes to be satisfied with a regular cigarette but it took 10 minutes of vaping to get over the urge. So when you get the urge to smoke a cigarette make sure you are vaping twice as long in order to get over that urge. I have found this to be the case as I leave the smelly old habit behind. I cut out 155 cigs the first week and I am not afraid of leaving them behind anymore because I still can enjoy the ceremonial habit and all that goes with it. Truely amazing!

Conclusion 3: When trying to determine how many carts, eLiquid you need do this test for yourself and see if you are vaping twice as much.

Conclusion 4: The conclusion is not againt ecigs but is to let you know how to adapt to them so you won't go back to smoking.

Conclusion 5: Keep vaping and don't be alarmed if you happen to be vaping, what seems to be, twice as much as your regular smoking habits.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
My experience is almost exactly the opposite. I find that I satisfy the urge with about 1/2 the time with the ecigarette than I would smoking a whole analog.

I began to notice this with the cigarette ban in our state at restaurants where I'd walk out for a cig break and ended up smoking a half of a cigarette and I was 'good'. But elsewhere - outside, home, car, etc., I'd smoke the whole cigarette.

genmunden

Jun 22, 2009
Indiana
I decided to do the test after a week of vaping because I felt I was vaping more than I was smoking. I agree that sampling would tend to cause you to vape more so maybe I am just so new to it that I can't do a direct replacement, puff for puff right now. I believe there are other addictive 'agents' in regular cigs and wonder if this is what I am missing. It's not the ceremony. It's not the nicotine (unless I am trying to get more nicotine as I did in a regular cig). So what do you think would drive a person back to a regular cigarette?...the other addictive agents that are not in the eLiquid.???

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I decided to do the test after a week of vaping because I felt I was vaping more than I was smoking. I agree that sampling would tend to cause you to vape more so maybe I am just so new to it that I can't do a direct replacement, puff for puff right now. I believe there are other addictive 'agents' in regular cigs and wonder if this is what I am missing. It's not the ceremony. It's not the nicotine (unless I am trying to get more nicotine as I did in a regular cig). So what do you think would drive a person back to a regular cigarette?...the other addictive agents that are not in the eLiquid.???

Hard telling. I'm not so sure there are other addictive substances but there are nicotine catalysts or as you say 'agents' - acid and ammonia - that are used for faster nicotine absorbtion/assimilation and that very well could be what you're missing, but others here certainly have had the same addiction and have overcome it eventually with ecigs. If you have to inhale more, then that's the case. In almost all things YMMV depending on a whole host of factors, objective and subjective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread