Resistance increasing over time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhals

Jun 9, 2012
Denver (5,675 ft)
I'm fairly new to RBAs, and I've got a situation I'm hoping someone can help me understand better:

I use a LavaGen rba on my ProVari (the LG Reactor from Vaperfexion), with 500 mesh wick and [FONT=arial, sans-serif]Kanthal A-1 32 coil, and I can get it to work fine - sort of. My ohms read something like 2.7, [/FONT][FONT=arial, sans-serif]initially,[/FONT][FONT=arial, sans-serif] but after a few days of use it goes up to 2.9 and continuously increases by .1 or .2 ohms over time. Currently, it is at 4.7 after two-three weeks of use. Is this normal? Is it a result of the buildup on the coil, and-or how I'm cleaning it? For cleaning, I simply rinse everything under hot water, then I use a syringe to drip 180 proof Everclear over and through the wick and coil (about 1 ml worth), and then let it air dry. I've wondered if the Everclear was causing this effect, it might be somehow, but I clean my standard atomizers with it too and I don't experience similar issues.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can set me straight here.

Rhals
[/FONT]

Rhals

Jun 9, 2012
Denver (5,675 ft)
I've never seen a jump that high - is the coil actually clean after your rinse? Do you dry burn it to get the gunk off?

I don't dry burn it after I get it setup. I dry burn right after I wrap the coil, then burn off some unflavored juice to break it in, but then I leave it alone. I never physically touch the coils, and I rely on the hot water from my sink to rinse off any lose debris...

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
Also, you might want to make sure your connection to your pos post is tight. Over time, the screw (or whatever you use) can loosen and this can cause resistance fluctuations. I learned this by asking on the DID thread in the Euro suppliers forum. The resistance on my DID was up and down and someone suggested this and it helped.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
The molecular structure of the coil wire changes over time with continued heating, thus bringing the resistance up. Nichrome expands and gets softer. Kanthal gets harder.

yea but its not enough by itself to justify 2+ ohms in less then 3 weeks so there is more in play here. i have coils in the one month range only jump a few .1's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread