Resistance problems new builder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler Moore

Apr 30, 2018
Hi I have been building for about 3 months and vaping for about 3 years. I haven't had any problems until recently. I'm using the drop rda and trying to build for unregulated series mod. I currently don't have any Kanthal wire so I decided to just do a simple build with 24 awg nichrome 80. I'm shooting for .4 build for dual coils so I wrapped them 14 wraps each. I installed them and checked them on my ohm meter and they are coming in at .12 to .15. I checked on steam engine and it says that each coil should clock in around .9. Ive built these coils twice with the same result both times. Anyone know what the problem could be or what I'm doing wrong? Thanks

Reactions: stols001

Tyler Moore

Apr 30, 2018
Whats confusing me is I never pulsed them before checking my resistance. It seems that 14 wrap 24 awg ni chrome 80 should be way above .15. According to steam engine it should be .9 per coil. I've built these coils twice with the same result also. Would not pulsing them before checking my resistance cause that or maybe a tiny piece of loose wire in the bottom of my rda? I can't figure out why there is such a drastic difference in what the coil calculator says and what I'm actually getting? Thanks for the much needed help!!!

Jeezus187

Oct 11, 2017
Los angeles california
Could be the mod I have the same reading problem and the smok alien try another device as a ohm reader and when I built that set up on the bonza it was horriible.bad set up imo to many watts the coils wouldn't heat upthe hole surface area i would suggest dual parralell 5 wrap its just a more efficient set up and is about the same vapor production as your set up.......ps the drop rda is with the business took my bonza out of rotation

Tyler Moore

Apr 30, 2018
Could be the mod I have the same reading problem and the smok alien try another device as a ohm reader and when I built that set up on the bonza it was horriible.bad set up imo to many watts the coils wouldn't heat upthe hole surface area i would suggest dual parralell 5 wrap its just a more efficient set up and is about the same vapor production as your set up.......ps the drop rda is with the business took my bonza out of rotation
Right on, I'll try that. Appreciate the help!

Tyler Moore

Apr 30, 2018
Is it possible you have a short somewhere in your build? have a good long look at the RDA esp positive and negative connection area. Not unheard of for a very tiny sliver of metal to get stuck.
I will do that. I have a feeling thats what it is going to be. Thanks so much. Really do appreciate it!

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Glad you isolated the problem. I think that much of a resistance change would be concerning whether test fired or not. Especially important on a mech, and having an ohm's reader and then the mod to check your build can be useful at times. I just view it as one more step toward safety, I actually build wick fill and test fire on my Ohm's reader first, to get a sense of what the exact resistance "may" be, (but also because if I'm going to get a catastrophic leak, I'd rather do so all over my $7 ohms reader than my more expensive mods.

Yeah, generally if I see that much of a resistance shift compared to my calculations and etc., I do assume something is wrong and it doesn't happen that often, but when it does, I'm glad to know I've ticked each safety box and etc. prior to use.

Hope it's vaping a bit more like expected and I'm glad you asked the question. It's really hard sometimes to trouble shoot problems when doing new things. The way I "discovered" how easy it is to leave a tiny snip of wire in my build deck someplace... Was by actually doing that. LOL.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the vape!

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread