Status
Not open for further replies.

TomCatt

Da Catt
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Upland, PA
If you have juice on the wick, none of the coils should be glowing. To check for shorts, power the coil without any juice. Then all coils should glow evenly. If some of the coils are glowing with juice, especially the top coils, then chances are the wick isn't wicking fast enough to keep up.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

markimar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Orlando
If you have juice on the wick, none of the coils should be glowing. To check for shorts, power the coil without any juice. Then all coils should glow evenly. If some of the coils are glowing with juice, especially the top coils, then chances are the wick isn't wicking fast enough to keep up.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

That's a great help thanks so much. I tried a 36 nichrome and it burnt right through it and I use a Darwin

I found this quote
Most heating elements use Nichrome 80/20 (80% nickel, 20% chromium) wire, ribbon, or strip. Nichrome 80/20 is an ideal material, because it has relatively high resistance and forms an adherent layer of chromium oxide when it is heated for the first time. Material beneath this layer will not oxidize, preventing the wire from breaking or burning out.
source:Heating element - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[I assume this applies to Kanthal as well, due oxide on chromium blend wires.]

Lighter burn wire before winding?, not me ;)

I experiment very much with wire & I have noticed that I prefer to not oxidize with fire before winding because I like the way unburned/oxidized wire feels & bends. I rarely bic lighter wire before winding & prefer a dry burn after my coil is set in place & secure.

Preburned & then wound wire seems brittle for a split second(like it has a shell) & then soft/weak to me(cut 2 small samples & test).

8N9cC.gif

SloHand

Eh?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 8, 2011
Kingston, Ontario
I found this quote source:Heating element - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[I assume this applies to Kanthal as well, due oxide on chromium blend wires.]

Lighter burn wire before winding?, not me ;)

I experiment very much with wire & I have noticed that I prefer to not oxidize with fire before winding because I like the way unburned/oxidized wire feels & bends. I rarely bic lighter wire before winding & prefer a dry burn after my coil is set in place & secure.

Preburned & then wound wire seems brittle for a split second(like it has a shell) & then soft/weak to me(cut 2 small samples & test).

8N9cC.gif

Mistere, I agree with you on everything other than the use of nichrome. Kanthal is the best choice :)

Crack3dOne

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Northern VA
I find the 36 hard to work with, glowing, not wicking fast enough that gauge. Try 32awg NiCh. Big difference!

I would also like to point out the my use of Nichrome was short lived after I got my hands on Kanthal A-1 28awg.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 running on SS mesh & Kanthal.

Crack3dOne

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Northern VA
got the kanthal and wasn't really impressed. i went to the vapors ball and asked them about the quality of their kanthal if it was A1 or not and they didn't know what A1 kanthal was, so i guess it wasn't lol.

it was oxidized wire and had a bad taste even after pre-burning.

Run a ml or so through it. The coil will get a slick black coating on it and by then it should taste great.

Sent from my Inspire 4G running on SS mesh and Kanthal.

Swarley

Mod Addict
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
Nor Cal
I'm pretty used to anywhere from 2-3ohms. I haven't used anything under 2 ohms at this point.

Then depending on how much area you have to make coil wraps then I think you should use a 32awg wire or 34awg. Anything below that and you need to make a lot of coil wraps to get the ohm's that high. But if you have the space then you would be ok:)

VaporHead512

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 16, 2012
TX
Buddy of mine gave me little samples of 36awg Kanthal and 36awg Kanthal A1. Said to try em both out and see if I can tell a difference. That's great in theory, testing for myself, but now I have to figure out how to best use 36 on #500 mesh.

Looking for anywhere from 2.4 - 3.5 ohms

If I don't like 36, I'll try something else. What else is a guy to do?

DigiManTX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2012
TX
been paying attention to this thread and think i'm ready to bite the bullet on an aga-t and start this whole journey of coils and mesh... so if i'm using a kicked SB and want my coil to be between 2-3ohm, i want 34awg a-1, and what size mesh? what is the theory behind this? more holes per inch the better or what? was going to attempt the whole dual wick idea as that seems to make the most sense to me...

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
In my experience I find Nichrome to be fragile compared to Kanthal. Even with all the normal precautions (lowest voltage setting for testing and measuring ohms on a new setup). I would pop the nichrome 3 out of 5 times. Kanthal stands up to much more abuse.

Agreed, especially on SS mesh wick. In my experience, the slightest 'short' or 'hot spot' will pop nichrome, while kanthal can take a lot more abuse, so you can make adjustments to get rid of the hot spot. On silica wicks, nichrome does the job just fine though. One advantage is I find it's a bit easier to wind into a neat coil than kanthal as it's more pliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread