Status
Not open for further replies.

Huffelpuff

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2011
Philadelphia Burbs
Definately not a pro yet but I've been really enjoying using genny attys for a while and have some on order. Here's the question:

I have three spools of resistance wire. Of the two spools of wire that I'm currently using, one of them is labeled "N-6 32 AWG and the other is unlabeled - but is 32 gage. They both seem to work fine.

I recently placed an order for 30 gage to try it, and it is labeled "K-A 30 AWG"

Can anyone tell me what the letters refer to? Is there any reason to order one type over another?

Sorry for the noob question but want to know what I'm working with.

Thanks for any advice! :)

Ictinike

A Minion of Cthulhu
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2012
NE Ohio, USA
It comes down to preference and usability.

Some swear by Kanthal and others by Nichrome. I've read the Nicrhome is easier to work with while wrapping a coil un-tempered and is less "springy" than Kanthal. I've also read Kanthal burns a bit cleaner tasting but that is subjective.

One thing I'm fairly sure is that the products from China and Asia typically come installed with coils done in Nichrome as I believe it's a bit stronger in tensile strength and can survive shipment better. If you've ever vaped a Chinese clone atomizer it more than likely came with Nichrome over Kanthal; again from what I've learned/read.

I have both and haven't used my spool of Nichrome but may make some coils up today and test differences so I have more info to work from (lol) :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread