Resistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

offashead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2012
UK
Hi folks. Having been vaping for a month or two on ciggalikes I decided to up the anty. I bought some C4 Clearomisers and some EGO-C 650 batts and I like it. Now I want to get some more stuff, But on the HC website they have different ohms/ resistance for the vision clearo's. I am also going to buy two 950 twists. This all leaves me confused as to which resistance I need for the Vison clearo's, considering the different voltage settings on the Twists. If anyone can explain this in very simple terms that would be cool and what would be the best option in the clearomiser dept for this lot to work.

The C-4's which were bought from Vapourworld has CE4 Vision eGo 1.6ml - Detailed item view - www.vapourworld.co.uk these figures which has confused me even more. Thanks.......

Aced

Verified Member
Jun 9, 2012
Finland
To put it bluntly, you should have ohms half of the voltage you are using, so if you are using something at 4 volts, ohms should be around 2. You get warmer vapour if you use lower ohms, like LR clearos that are rated around 1.5 ohms and you run them at 3.7 volts, you get warm vapour, I suggest you get 1.5 and 2 ohm clearos for your twist.

If you use a low resistance one at 3.7 you will find you get great vapor production and nice flavour but if you like vaping at higher than 4volts then you must go for at least a standard resistance to get the benefits. Personally, I would go for one of each and try it yourself but my favourite has to be the low res. Good luck!!

lostg12

Verified Member
Jun 3, 2012
Hawaii
Since the twist is variable voltage you may want to go a little higher and play around with it. Maybe 2.5 but ideally i'd say to order a few within the 3-2 ohm range and find what works best for you in terms of making the most out of the range of voltage. Off the top of my head I don't recall if the twist has the function that will auto set the voltage if the resistance is too low but my lava tube has it and running a low res atty is a waste on it.

the_vape_nerd

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
New Orleans, LA
If you have a variable voltage device, you needn't worry about ohms at all. The whole concept is that you can adjust one part of the equation, namely the voltage.

Ohms and resistance are manipulated by users of fixed voltage devices to a get a higher voltage feel by using less resistance.

Flyer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2012
Illinois
If you have a variable voltage device, you needn't worry about ohms at all. The whole concept is that you can adjust one part of the equation, namely the voltage.

Ohms and resistance are manipulated by users of fixed voltage devices to a get a higher voltage feel by using less resistance.

Generally not true. Since all PVs have some level of current limit, using a LR can quite severely limit the amount of real voltage adjustment available and somewhat negate the value of variable voltage. Best to stick with SR.

Rimau

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2011
I have no idea where I'm at
Try both and see which one you like best. Playing around with different combinations is what we have all had to do. With a vv you can play with the voltage and find your own personal sweet spot. I am not a really big fan of the LR nor the dual coil, but that is just me. I use a vv, but not with everything, it all depends on what you like.

LucentShadow

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
Michigan, USA
These days, 'standard resistance' is losing it's meaning a bit, as everyone seems to like lower resistances.

For a 3.7v device, around 3 ohms is 'standard' for the mass-marketed ecigs. Those small batteries can't handle LR, and 3 ohms gives a good charge life vs. vapor ratio. Closer to 2.2 ohms seems to be the fave among the bigger battery users. You don't really want to go much lower than that without using a dual-coil carto, generally.

Anyway, for a Twist, I'd recommend 2.4-2.8 ohms. That should let you use the full range of voltage available.

For a CE4, I would NOT recommend anything less than 1.8 ohms, unless you're planning on dialing the voltage down, as you'll probably get dry hits a lot if not.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Well let me see now, last nite I got a quick explanation of what the basic parts of a PV, battery long part that powers the next part which is the atomizer, that holds the cartridge/tank, than if wanted you can use a drip tip. Whoooo, okay now, Ohms? I thought this was a term used to describe the sensitivity of speakers? I will have to check out the library for an explanation of Ohms , low resistance, vs voltage and high resistance which are of course depend on wheather you want strong taste, throat hit vs large amount of vapor etc etc etc. No wonder some start to get a headache and wonder if it can get as simple as opening your carton of cigs, lighting and inhale. Dont get me wrong, in a way I am a techie and love the total customization that vaping gives you. I just dont want to damage the device. I know once I get my KGO and actually have it in my hand it will all become "clearo"

Krystm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Arlington, TX
Having a vv from everything I have read can be real nice, once you get it dialed in you be really happy with it. That said though if you find something you like at 4v and 2 ohm etc you can do the math to find out what wattage you are vaping at and then match that on a standard system incase your vv ever goes out. Everything I have researched is volt x volt \ ohm of cart then \ by coils to get your wattage. All the stuff I have read a good vape is around 6-8 watts. I am new though so this is what I have researched and it has worked well for me.

Iusedtoanalog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2011
Pennsylvania
Hi Offashead, Welcome to the ECF, and welcome to your search for that "just right" vape. Generally the ce type cartos give a mechanical benefit of having a high positioned coil so that you get a little more heat than if it where farther away from your lips. In my experience the same reistance ce unit will be noticably warmer than a standart carto and therefore require less voltage to accomplish the same overall amount of flavor and warmpth with good overall volume of vapor.

In general I like to be around 9.8watts of overall output from my device.Which means that when I have a 3 ohm carto i will set my device for 5.43 volts. When I am using a 2ohm carto my voltage would be set for 4.44. The thing you want to find out is what is your specific sweet spot and at what voltage-ohm-wattage helps to create that for you and on which liquids. This calculator should help you at least a little. http://www.the12volt.com/ohm/ohmslawcalculators.asp

I can tell you that the twist is in my vape arsenal and it will reliably run a 2 ohm carto at 4.8 volts without so much as a whimper. I dont vape it all day every day but I have and I occasionaly do, even though its only the 650mAh size it does very well.

I only see one resistance range available at the link you provided , if that the ones you have on their way to you then it will be a good vape on the twist at almost the whole of the voltage range available to you. If you find the experience with this unit lacking in performance for your own personal tastes even at the top of the voltage range on the twist then look into finding a lower ohm load unit. The ohm load spread on these varies greatly so the majority of suppliers will give you a generalized view of the variances with a spread like"2.7-3.1" just so you know what to expect from that specific product. Good Luck. Happy Vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread