Restart ECF Live Chat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaveFurby

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
A new member came in to announce that he had created a server on Discord, as a way to help new vapers. Being of a younger generation, he probably wasn't aware of ECFs long lived and vast legacy. That ECF was, and still is, an amazing resource, and practically the only resource for new vapers for quite awhile.

Another member brought up the fact that ECF once had a live chat. This was before my time here, so I'm not aware of how it went or why it ended, whether there were too many problems or it died a lingering death. I am hoping someone will chime in and talk about the ecf live chat.

Which brings me to the question...why couldn't a live chat be restarted on ecf now? Would it be that technically difficult? Would it consume too much bandwidth? Wouldn't it be interesting to sit in live chat and watch the flow of conversation from people you know and those you don't on busier evenings? Wouldn't there be enough technically qualified volunteer moderators available in case things got a little rowdy? Could it possibly attract some of the newer generation, to whom the typewritten forum model might seem a little dated. I see daily where the number of members online is 30 or so, 50 at busier times....which is sad. Are we that set in our ways that we couldn't try something new? The cannabis forum attracted an outcry, but in the end the forum didn't fall apart. I think a discussion of this question would be in order. And well, why not? Why not give it a go again??

And another point. I think it would be a great spirit-lifter/diversion to a very large group of vapers who have just had the rug pulled out from under them.

Last edited:

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
A new member came in to announce that he had created a server on Discord, as a way to help new vapers. Being of a younger generation, he probably wasn't aware of ECFs long lived and vast legacy. That ECF was, and still is, an amazing resource, and practically the only resource for new vapers for quite awhile.

Another member brought up the fact that ECF once had a live chat. This was before my time here, so I'm not aware of how it went or why it ended, whether there were too many problems or it died a lingering death. I am hoping someone will chime in and talk about the ecf live chat.

Which brings me to the question...why couldn't a live chat be restarted on ecf now? Would it be that technically difficult? Would it consume too much bandwidth? Wouldn't it be interesting to sit in live chat and watch the flow of conversation on busier evenings? Wouldn't there be enough technically qualified volunteer moderators available in case things got a little rowdy? Could it possible attract some of the newer generation, to whom the typewritten forum model might seem a little dated. I see daily where the number of members online is 30 or so, 50 at busier times....which is sad. Are we that set in our ways that we couldn't try something new? The cannabis forum attracted an outcry, but in the end the forum didn't fall apart. I think a discussion of this question would be in order. And well, why not? Why not give it a go again??

And another point. I think it would be a great spirit-lifter/diversion to a very large group of vapers who have just had the rug pulled out from under them.

There are 10 times as many guests, browsing, as members at any one time. (not to mention the crawlers)
We are a repository of information. A library of sorts. Free and accessible. No hoops, loops or hurdles involved.

IMO,
As "entertaining" as an un-moderated chat has the potential to be, it should not be visible to guests and I fear would devolve into a less civilized version of "The Outside".
Think Whatsapp parents group---:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: only less structured.
Cheers
I

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
For myself personally, I've opened live chat on YouTube and I'm unclear how anyone can keep up with who is saying what, what is being said and more importantly, why it is being said.

It moves far too fast and in a field like vaping, where we are advising people on safe vaping practices and other important teaching/learning topics on vaping where those teaching need to know the information given is actually being understood clearly and processed accurately for safety and health purposes, I see no vaping chat room experience at all beneficial for the new vaper who actually wants to learn.

We've even taken that so far on ECF that we experimented with a more one on one approach to new vapers that allows them more one on one learning time, and a little less bombardment of too many opinions and found that a one on one approach is indeed beneficial for some people, even on a discussion forum like this. It allows for open forum questions that the new vaper can use to get confirmation of information being given as well as varying opinions from others, plus a little more time sitting one on one with a more experienced vaper.

So for actually teaching people? No to live chat. That leaves a chat room that's just for chit chatting about the weather, life, and whatever other general interest topics for those who can keep up in a live chat environment - and yes I agree that it would make it a place heavily, heavily in need of moderation, and a potential for some major issues.

So my opinion is that I'm not opposed, I'm sure some people enjoy that sort of thing, but it's the administration that would have to deal with it (extra staff, member quarreling etc) and this forum is such a peaceful one (inside) if I was administration (which I'm not) I wouldn't want to deal with it.

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
So for actually teaching people? No to live chat.

Agreed.
That leaves a chat room that's just for chit chatting about the weather, life, and whatever other general interest topics for those who can keep up in a live chat environment - and yes I agree that it would make it a place heavily, heavily in need of moderation, and a potential for some major issues.

Agreed again. Besides, we have the Lounge for weather, life, children and pets. :)

• Agree
Reactions: Opinionated

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
As one of the Admins from the old live chat server, it pretty much died out from non-use. It was being paid for out of pocket by one of the other Admins. Most users don't use the software used (like xChat and mIRC) any more. It's unlikely we'd stand it back up again.

• Informative
Reactions: Katya
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread