Reuleaux RX200 Velocity RDA. Im BURNING WAY TOO MUCH LIQUID!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DilFisher

Jan 27, 2016
Mobile, AL
ladies and gents, please do your best to help out. I've asked any and every shop I go to and NEVER get a straight answer.
Title includes set up. I currently have dual claptons (I believe 26/32g Kanthal) .22 ohms @75-100w (depending on preference that day) but this problem is consistent throughout all my builds. I've tried the Scottish roll, bacon cotton, Japanese cotton, using less, using more and I know I have got to be doing something wrong. I've only been doing this for 3 months or so, but I'm extensive in my research so I'm not wiz but not uneducated. I can not, for the life of me figure this out. I'm looking for flavor and juice reduction. If I need to look into RAT's, cool, but once you build, you don't go back.
Thank you all in advance for your time.

DilFisher

Jan 27, 2016
Mobile, AL
I completely forgot to add:
My perception of coil builds is that the more 'resistance' in a build, the slower it cooks off vapor, producing more flavor. As in, slow cooking a Boston ...., for example. The less resistance, the quicker the current flows, producing more vapor. If this is incorrect, I would love a detailed explanation - or thread/website reference - to better understand WHY I aim for a desired ohm, to be more consistent in My builds. That being said, I always aim for a .2-.3 build.

haleysdadda

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2015
Santee,San Diego
ladies and gents, please do your best to help out. I've asked any and every shop I go to and NEVER get a straight answer.
Title includes set up. I currently have dual claptons (I believe 26/32g Kanthal) .22 ohms @75-100w (depending on preference that day) but this problem is consistent throughout all my builds. I've tried the Scottish roll, bacon cotton, Japanese cotton, using less, using more and I know I have got to be doing something wrong. I've only been doing this for 3 months or so, but I'm extensive in my research so I'm not wiz but not uneducated. I can not, for the life of me figure this out. I'm looking for flavor and juice reduction. If I need to look into RAT's, cool, but once you build, you don't go back.
IMHO you can't have both with that build at those watts! That build is going to be a juice hog because Claptons have more surface area! You might look into an RTA like the Mutation MT or the Mutank! For me flavor chasing has caused me to go thru 20-25 ml juice a day! Going thru lots of juice is kinda unavoidable so if you go with an RTA at least you don't have to drip all the time!

DilFisher

Jan 27, 2016
Mobile, AL
IMHO you can't have both with that build at those watts! That build is going to be a juice hog because Claptons have more surface area! You might look into an RTA like the Mutation MT or the Mutank! For me flavor chasing has caused me to go thru 20-25 ml juice a day! Going thru lots of juice is kinda unavoidable so if you go with an RTA at least you don't have to drip all the time!
I knew I was either going to get a quick fix or a "you can't have the cake and eat it too.." kinda reply. I worried the two didn't go hand in hand.

Reactions: haleysdadda

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
I knew I was either going to get a quick fix or a "you can't have the cake and eat it too.." kinda reply. I worried the two didn't go hand in hand.

Have you ever tried a normal "single" micro coil ? dual claptons get like 2 miles to the gallon
@ 100 watts ................. the people that work at the shops around you want you to come by every week to "buy more juice" and more clapton' coils, of coarse there not going to tell you to change anything ..............

Last edited:

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
I use the EXACT same setup (except a Velocity Mini) generally on weekend nights.... dual Claptons at around 0.2ohms, RX200 at 70-100w (generally 80w), etc.

If I used this setup all day, I could EASILY blow thru a 30ml of juice a day (I generally use 4-8ml). Hence why I vape at 12 or 20w for most of the day.

That setup is amazing and I love it, but it is an absolute pig on juice. Either turn down the watts, go with something closer to 0.5ohms, or use a different setup.

jjatl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2015
Georgia
So you're saying, it's that easy? Tune down the wattage - even on .2 dual Clapton, and vwala! ( BTW First time using them today) I'm more, the simpler, the better, kind of person, but was curious like all starting out. I just had the impression they need more wattage to push.

You may need a different RDA to maintain a high level of flavor at lower wattage, but I would try 28ga coils wrapped around a blue screw driver 7-8times. This should put you somewhere around .8ohm with 2 of them. If your RDA has adjustable airflow, close it to a small setting. Try that around 20-25w. You will burn through much less juice!!!

But I don't know if that RDA will still give you good flavor in that range. If it doesn't, there are many RTA's and RDA's that work well at that wattage and give great flavor.

Give that build a try and let us know if you like it. If you don't, let us know, and we can make recommendations on new RTA's or RDA's.

Good luck!

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada

Ultimately the only way you're going to get much of a reduction in juice consumption is to lower the watts. It will be a different vape, but done right I bet you can get a satisfying vape using much less juice.

What you want to do is lower the amount of wire (the mass) and keep the surface area correct for the watts you want to use. In other words you want the right heat flux and heat capacity for the watts.

You have 26 gauge Kanthal. I modeled a build with that in Steam Engine which would run well for me at around 40-45 watts, but it will vape between 30-60 watts and might even get to 65 watts without burning juice. The aim though is to reduce the watts to save juice.

Stats are dual 26 gauge coils at 0.36 ohms, 5/6 wraps on a 2.5 mm pin. I would start with the air flow from the lower slots not quite fully open, the upper holes closed and adjust from there. Higher watts will want more air flow, but this build will probably not do well with the top holes wide open.

The mod is irrelevant for this, a watt is a watt from any device :)

If you try it let us know how it goes.

curiousJan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
Central IL
So you're saying, it's that easy? Tune down the wattage - even on .2 dual Clapton, and vwala! ( BTW First time using them today) I'm more, the simpler, the better, kind of person, but was curious like all starting out. I just had the impression they need more wattage to push.

I use .21 ohm dual triple-twisted 28g with KGD wicks at 28W on my iStick 100W and get loads of flavor. I use 10-15ml per day through my Bellus.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
I completely forgot to add:
My perception of coil builds is that the more 'resistance' in a build, the slower it cooks off vapor, producing more flavor. As in, slow cooking a Boston ...., for example. The less resistance, the quicker the current flows, producing more vapor. If this is incorrect, I would love a detailed explanation - or thread/website reference - to better understand WHY I aim for a desired ohm, to be more consistent in My builds. That being said, I always aim for a .2-.3 build.

I'm assuming you are using a regulated device, and not a mechanical.
A regulated mod delivers the requested power to the coil by multiplying the volts by the amps to produce watts, the resistance of the coil is irrelevant. I'll say that again, irrelevant.
The amount of vapor produced is a product of the surface area of the coil, the amount of power applied to this surface area, the airflow to cool the coil and carry away the vapor, and the ability of the wicking to deliver juice to keep up with this process.
Some people use large high resistance coils using lots of wraps of thinner higher resistance wire like 28 guage up around 1 ohm.
Some people use multi-core claptons that have a lot of surface area. As a result these coils will often have a relatively low resistance because the large amount of wire used in their construction.

It is possible balance the factors of airflow and coil size etc. cleverly in such a way that you produce a good amount of vapor without the need for huge amounts of power.

Vapor is vaporized juice, ergo if you produce a lot of vapor you will consume a lot of juice. There's no getting around that.

DilFisher

Jan 27, 2016
Mobile, AL
Ultimately the only way you're going to get much of a reduction in juice consumption is to lower the watts. It will be a different vape, but done right I bet you can get a satisfying vape using much less juice.

What you want to do is lower the amount of wire (the mass) and keep the surface area correct for the watts you want to use. In other words you want the right heat flux and heat capacity for the watts.

You have 26 gauge Kanthal. I modeled a build with that in Steam Engine which would run well for me at around 40-45 watts, but it will vape between 30-60 watts and might even get to 65 watts without burning juice. The aim though is to reduce the watts to save juice.

Stats are dual 26 gauge coils at 0.36 ohms, 5/6 wraps on a 2.5 mm pin. I would start with the air flow from the lower slots not quite fully open, the upper holes closed and adjust from there. Higher watts will want more air flow, but this build will probably not do well with the top holes wide open.

I just want to say that this is exactly what I was looking for. I understood fully, and appreciate the time for the extensive reply. This morning I went and got a Rebuildable sub ohm tank and am using that at the moment while at work, tuned down the wattage, great flavor, not expending a large amount of juice. I do have everything you've listed in my set up at home, and am gonna get it going later this evening. Again, thank all you guys for helpin me out.

DilFisher

Jan 27, 2016
Mobile, AL
And all this being noted, it's not like I'm TRYING to push a lot of power. Right now, I'm still pretty New to this (3 months BUT absolutely NO cigarettes) so I'm experimenting. The unfortunate part is, my experimenting is aimless lol.

All I'm looking for is a great, consistent, flavor build, not even a lot of vapor, and to know why in order to be consistent in the future.

The only reason I got the Clapton is because I haven't tried them yet. Usually I keep 24 or 26g Kanthal ... or bacon cotton and real simple builds.

Reactions: Ryedan

DilFisher

Jan 27, 2016
Mobile, AL

So much better!
Dual 26G Kanthal, 6 wraps, came out .3 Ω she's at 42 watts right now just a good, smooth, cool, and flavorful vape. The cloud production is pretty intense, and that's not really what I'm going for. My job calls for the professional appearance, so I'll have to have a back up when there, but most of all, I love not going dry after 3 hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread