Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
First the setup I'm running, then the question:
- Fuchai Duo-3 (use both double and triple batteries as battery states allow)
- Goon 1.5 RDA (love this thing) airflow full open
- 0.13 double coil fused clapton build, ~2.8mm ID (Kanthal A1)
- Cotton is either Cotton Bacon or CVS organic cotton balls
- Usually run around 80 Watts
Of course I make new wicks when I change flavors. I like Cotton Bacon more than CVS organic cotton balls because it has less initial cotton flavor. Also, Cotton Bacon's density just makes better wicks. But it is expensive, so sometimes I have no choice but to use CVS organic cotton balls.
The question: I find that I have to rewick daily. I pull the wicks, swab out the juice well, dry burn the coils clean, and rewick. By the end of every day though, no matter what juice I'm vaping just tastes nasty. The cotton isn't scorched and I'm not getting dry hits. It just tastes nasty - and that nasty goes away as soon as I rewick.
Does my daily rewicking indicate that I'm doing something wrong? Or is it just a personal preference issue? (I know I have very sensitive taste, so that's a possibility?)
1. Might try to get a sample of Rayon wicking material.
re: https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...er-flow-flavor-saturation-and-nic-hit.561226/
2. A fresh wick every vape session is fine, would not worry about it. I re wick mine every morning, need or not because I know nothing beats a new wick in a RDA.
Takes about a half a minute (full minute if I thermal shock the coil in water a couple of times).

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    I had an interesting experience with Toasted Marshmallow flavoring. At maybe 7% flavor I couldn't even go a full day. Gray wicks, thick gunk and nasty. At 3% there is no unusual gunking at all. My guess is past a certain level of flavor it has trouble vaporizing it all. Flavoring starts building up on the coil and then it starts cooking. At lower levels the coil is more "self-cleaning" which sounds a little scary until you realize if it doesn't build up then it doesn't get all cooked out either.

So, if you cut the flavor level by half, you probably get far less than half the gunk.

3vilpsychos

Oct 19, 2017
    I had an interesting experience with Toasted Marshmallow flavoring. At maybe 7% flavor I couldn't even go a full day. Gray wicks, thick gunk and nasty. At 3% there is no unusual gunking at all. My guess is past a certain level of flavor it has trouble vaporizing it all. Flavoring starts building up on the coil and then it starts cooking. At lower levels the coil is more "self-cleaning" which sounds a little scary until you realize if it doesn't build up then it doesn't get all cooked out either.

So, if you cut the flavor level by half, you probably get far less than half the gunk.
    I know what you mean. I don't change everyday but probably every 3 days. I've got this Juice that turns my coils Orange Red and it's kind of creepy. I just stopped using it as it would Kill my build.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 12, 2014
    If you have to have a lot of flavor and a lot of vapor there's going to be more equipment to carry and more work to maintain that.

I remember my early days of vaping being content with 8 watts on a Nautilus mini and wishing things would stay that way but I "progressed" to 30 max watts and 420F max temp on an rda then figured out how to get back down to 16 max watts and 380F max temp by switching from 28 guage to 30. Recently I increased nic from 10 mg to 12 mg to reduce daily ml's from 7 to 6. That appears to be working. I use 1% flavoring so there is little gunking. All that adds up to a full day of vaping on one 18650 so I don't have to lug around a heavy rig or worry about charging during the day.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread