Profile RDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Superczynski

Nov 2, 2019
Naples
So I've seen so many raves about this profile mesh rda, but I'm just not seeing it. I cannot get enough cotton I'm there to stop from getting a hotspot unless I squonk after every single hit. I tried the shoestring provided with the rda and I used a whole piece of cotton bacon.. I fire, two fire, three hot spot. I mean there is a massive amount of cotton in here. What am I doing wrong?

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
The Wotofo shoe string that came with the RDA is the correct size. Can’t remember if I’ve tried Cotton Bacon but suspect a full wad would also be enough. Is the mesh strip deformed? It is critical there are no voids between the mesh and the wick - to achieve that, you require ample enough cotton and a perfectly formed mesh strip.

Eric Superczynski

Nov 2, 2019
Naples
I've just been having a real hard time with this. The full strip of cotton bacon seems just slightly larger than the shoestring provided. I even tried taking tiny pieces of cotton and stuffing it into the hot spots around the edges. I guess this is just a novice issue. I've never used a mesh RDA. Also the squonking action seems to prefer one side over the there. I even tried it without any wick and the majority of the juice goes to one side.
The Wotofo shoe string that came with the RDA is the correct size. Can’t remember if I’ve tried Cotton Bacon but suspect a full wad would also be enough. Is the mesh strip deformed? It is critical there are no voids between the mesh and the wick - to achieve that, you require ample enough cotton and a perfectly formed mesh strip.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
I use both the Profile and cotton bacon strips for it. I always remove a bit of it before inserting otherwise it's too tight imo, also whenever i cut my leads i keep them just long enough to touch the bottom.
I also comb the cotton quite a bit to thin it out because otherwise i'd get what you have (dry hits/hotspot),
finally when i squonk with it,i keep an even pressure for a couple seconds because it takes more than just a squonk to fully saturate the cotton.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I've just been having a real hard time with this. The full strip of cotton bacon seems just slightly larger than the shoestring provided. I even tried taking tiny pieces of cotton and stuffing it into the hot spots around the edges. I guess this is just a novice issue. I've never used a mesh RDA. Also the squonking action seems to prefer one side over the there. I even tried it without any wick and the majority of the juice goes to one side.

Squonking should flow freely from the center pin onto the ceramic plate. When full with cotton, it will saturate from the bottom and if the cotton is not too thick, you should see this seep through the mesh. If not, the cotton still gets saturated but the juice may pool to the side. Keep in mind there is A LOT of cotton there so it takes a little more effort when squonking.

If there are no voids between the cotton and the mesh, and it is fully saturated you should not experience dry hits. I can get ~20+ hits out of a fully saturated wick.

What power are you running at? And is your mesh perfectly formed? Any dents, dings or creases will result in a dry hit.

I would look to see if your mesh is being clamped evenly. Any dirt or machining defects with the clamps could result in part of the mesh heating up quicker than the rest.

I use 1/3 of a Muji pad to wick. Remove the harder outer layer, lightly rolled and threaded through the wick. Just cut the edges in line with the deck and tucked into the juice well. No thinning!

Seiggy

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2012
Irwin, Pennsylvania
I've tried this because I also was having problems with cotton and rayon. Saw this on another thread and/or video somewhere and it seems to work for me. Using Profile 1.5 and I mount my mesh using the provided tool. I pulse the mesh at about 10 watts to make sure I get an even dull red glow and no hot spots. I then release one side of the clamp and gently move the mesh up high enough to slide my cotton/rayon under in a slight twisting/spinning motion so the cotton/rayon does not catch any stray edges of the mesh. Now in my case I use a single strand of Sally's rayon doubled over itself. Then I re-attach the loose mesh end and clamp. You'll notice how close you are to it's original placement in the clamp due to the coloring of the mesh. Again you need to be gentle as to not deform the mesh, but its works better for me than trying to slide cotton/rayon under the mesh. Trim your wick ends as you see fit, soak well and then squonk to get the underside as well.

Eric Superczynski

Nov 2, 2019
Naples
I finally got it properly wicked. I used four pieces of firebolt cotton. I trimmed the top two pieces slightly shorter than the bottom. Combed the top slightly and the bottom a bit more. The top two pieces just barely slip into the deck, but it's puffed at the top edge of the mesh where I was having the issue. Thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread