Reynolds bill in South Carolina (H 4074) would tax, require license to sell “vapor products”

Status
Not open for further replies.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Bury him with good old fashioned snail mail?
I'm thinking the best thing to do would be to gather peacefully in a public area as close to the Governor's house as possible.
Like maybe on the sidewalk outside his house, if that's legal.

And then bring signs that say non-threatening things like "Help Us Help Ourselves" or "We Love Small Businesses" or whatever.
Hopefully you'll get the attention of the media, and be interviewed.
But you'll definitely get the attention of the Governor.
:)

I'm sure this won't happen, but it would be the best possible thing to do in my opinion.
I'm not sure how valid my opinion is though.

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
I don't suppose there's any chance the Governor will veto the bill? :mad:

Not a chance.

It's a her and here they don't care. They'll do what's wrong just because they can in full view of everyone.

They care so much that last year the state's tax system was hacked exposing taxpayer's personal information including any cc numbers if anyone paid their tax bill that way. This was on the news daily for months. The bill to increase the state's online security systems was tabled this week with no action. Why would the governor give any thought to this?

Sm0kyBlue

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2013
Except that yesterday the South Carolina Senate approved (with a 42-2 vote) another bill (H 3548) that would ban the sale of “alternative nicotine products” to minors, and require online retailers in South Carolina to use costly and consumer unfriendly third party age verification services for each purchase (which, along with State enforcement, will drive online e-cigarette vendors in SC out of business, and give their business to out-of-state online competitors).
South Carolina Legislature Mobile
2013-2014 Bill 3538: Tobacco products - South Carolina Legislature Online

Since H 3548 was already passed by the House (with a 99-0 vote), it now goes to the Governor for his signature or veto.

While Reynolds and CASAA were fighting over H 4074, Lorillard lobbyists quickly and quietly got H 3548 through the SC legislature.

Mr. Godshall, this is sad and I am not happy.. I sure hope Hailey will veto, but I don't think we have a chance for that to happen :facepalm:

Sm0kyBlue

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2013
Not a chance.

It's a her and here they don't care. They'll do what's wrong just because they can in full view of everyone.

They care so much that last year the state's tax system was hacked exposing taxpayer's personal information including any cc numbers if anyone paid their tax bill that way. This was on the news daily for months. The bill to increase the state's online security systems was tabled this week with no action. Why would the governor give any thought to this?

Very Very true, Blue Snake.. :/

Ok so much for this.. Now what can we do??

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
I don't suppose there's any chance the Governor will veto the bill? :mad:

Very Very true, Blue Snake.. :/

Ok so much for this.. Now what can we do??

The other bill will come up again, probably next year. We can join CAASA, keep writing our representatives, including getting friends and family to write as well. On the beginning of this thread are the links for what we can continue to do. They will let this cool off for quite awhile before it's brought up again.

2coils

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
New Jersey
These states don't realize what BT is trying to accomplish? Or they are in favor of it for obvious reasons? Allowing these bills is a big betrayal of the people they represent. I cant understand wanting to drive small business away. Guess its the way of the world....no more mom and pop shops in any sector. Its all about big business getting bigger and richer while the small entrepreneur get buried!

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
These states don't realize what BT is trying to accomplish? Or they are in favor of it for obvious reasons? Allowing these bills is a big betrayal of the people they represent. I cant understand wanting to drive small business away. Guess its the way of the world....no more mom and pop shops in any sector. Its all about big business getting bigger and richer while the small entrepreneur get buried!

Big companies pay, through lobbyists, political contributions, and kickbacks to have the laws written in their favor. It is the way of the world. Very sad and pathetic.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
The same (or nearly identical) language (requiring independent third party age verification for each online purchaser) in the "alternative nicotine products" bill that was enacted in SC is in several bills in other states as well as several recently enacted laws in other states.

We need to point out to state legislators that requiring the third party age verification service will (if it is aggressively enforced by the state) destroy online vendors located in that state and will benefit out-of-state (and out-of-country) online vendors (as the State has no legal authority to enforce the requirement on out-of-state vendors, but can do so to in-state vendors).

I still think a lawsuit challenging one of these state laws (by an aggrieved vendor) is very likely to win in federal court (as only Congress has the legal authority to regulate the Internet). But suing a state in federal court costs lots of money.

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
I still think a lawsuit challenging one of these state laws (by an aggrieved vendor) is very likely to win in federal court (as only Congress has the legal authority to regulate the Internet). But suing a state in federal court costs lots of money.

Can you give us a ballpark-figure cost for such a lawsuit? Would this have to be individually for each state, or could it be done collectively, or would one such successful suit knock the rest of the states' laws down?

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Can you give us a ballpark-figure cost for such a lawsuit? Would this have to be individually for each state, or could it be done collectively, or would one such successful suit knock the rest of the states' laws down?
I'm pretty sure one such successful lawsuit would knock down all such bills wherever they may pop up.
I think once a precedent is established, any bill with such requirements would be obviously subject to being overturned.

I'm guessing with a successful lawsuit, the writers of such bills would want to stop including such requirements.
But I will always defer to Mr. Godshall, so I await his response along with the rest of you.

Sm0kyBlue

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2013
I just hate it's happened, and wonder what's going to happen next.
I just stopped smoking and well.. I refuse to feed into BT anymore.. If they tax this, well.. I am afraid we all won't be able to afford our shiny toys and the juice in them.. It's sad, because I just got the hang of it, and well, even when I do get off the nic, I still want to vape.. :facepalm:

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
south Bay Area, California
www.facebook.com
I just hate it's happened, and wonder what's going to happen next.
I just stopped smoking and well.. I refuse to feed into BT anymore.. If they tax this, well.. I am afraid we all won't be able to afford our shiny toys and the juice in them.. It's sad, because I just got the hang of it, and well, even when I do get off the nic, I still want to vape.. :facepalm:

I don't think they can prevent 0-nic juice or devices. Certainly not devices, given that we can build our own, even vv ones. Google for "the Puck e-cig"

And for 0 nic you can DIY your own flavors with over-the-counter ingredients, assuming you are significantly less likely than I am to have people you try to cook dinner for run screaming from the house.

Sm0kyBlue

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2013
I don't think they can prevent 0-nic juice or devices. Certainly not devices, given that we can build our own, even vv ones. Google for "the Puck e-cig"

And for 0 nic you can DIY your own flavors with over-the-counter ingredients, assuming you are significantly less likely than I am to have people you try to cook dinner for run screaming from the house.

Looking into both.. but still new to all of this, even tho I had first tried ecigs back in 2006, I didn't stick with it for as long as I have now. Thanks for the google tip, got any more, send them my way?? Thanks!! :blush:

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
I can tell you this is not going to make any real changes. This only applies to residents of SC. The age verification will be added by SC vendors for residents of SC.

The bigger challenge will come when they try to bring the other bill back up later this year or next year. It probably won't happen until next year but you never know absolutely.

Sm0kyBlue

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 8, 2013
BlueSnake.. it will effect the vendors in state, tho. They will have to upgrade their sites for age verification, if they haven't already..
Anyone selling any supplies for it, will be stressed. To me, I can image the impact on businesses that are only trying to help people like me stop smoking.

And you are right on what's to come. Hopefully it will be a good fight, in the end.

house mouse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2010
BFE
BlueSnake.. it will effect the vendors in state, tho. They will have to upgrade their sites for age verification, if they haven't already..
Anyone selling any supplies for it, will be stressed. To me, I can image the impact on businesses that are only trying to help people like me stop smoking.

And you are right on what's to come. Hopefully it will be a good fight, in the end.

Here's a thought. Have SC vendors start marketing aggressively to out of state customers and refuse to sell to anyone with a shipping address within the state of SC. If they don't sell to anyone in SC they haven't broken any age requirement soft ware rules for that state have they? Stay in business and flip the good ole Gubmint the bird at the same time? Possible?

Last edited:

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
Here's a thought. Have SC vendors start marketing aggressively to out of state customers and refuse to sell to anyone with a shipping address within the state of SC. If they don't sell to anyone in SC they haven't broken any age requirement soft ware rules for that state have they? Stay in business and flip the good ole Gubmint the bird at the same time? Possible?

I really don't think anyone wants to do that. The larger vendors won't have a big problem, but for smaller vendors it could be tough for their in state Internet sales.

randyith

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2011
North Carolina, USA
I really don't think anyone wants to do that. The larger vendors won't have a big problem, but for smaller vendors it could be tough for their in state Internet sales.

Not sure about that. We are an NC vendor and charge NC sales tax. Hardly anyone buys from us from our home state because we charge them the 7% PLUS SALES TAX.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread