Rinsing cartos as opposed to topping off

Status
Not open for further replies.

callofthevapor

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2009
st Petersburg FL
Ever clear or vodka would be the way to go to disinfect them. I'm a little unclear on this post from jebey29

Just dont soak or rinse them to long. I left about 5 in a everclear bath for several hours and after rinsing with water and filling them up again 3 of them didnt work. I think the everclear "helped" unattach the atomizer or something. Not really sure because i didnt perform surgery but now i just dunk and rinse dunk and rinse and it does just fine.

Are you dunking them in everclear or water? From that experience I'm not sure it would be good to use everclear

LastOutlaw

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2009
Texas
www.quantumtour.com
I started out rinsing all my carts from the beginning when they were empty. At one point during a move I left some empties uncapped without the rubber caps and they dried out and were ruined. Now I cap everything when not in use. I did a little research and to kill food type bacteria the temp of the wash has to be at 140 to 160 degrees depending on the bacteria. I doubt many of us have our tap water set that hot, not to mention temp drop as it comes down the pipes. Ive also noticed no difference in quality of the production in washing each and every time or just topping off except that after a number of uses the cart is harder to draw through. This also happened when I was washing them out after each use. In fact it seemed to me to happen quicker when i washed them out with water and let them dry. Another thing I noticed is even if i rinsed with tap water then blew them out well there was still water in them 24 hours later. You can still blow water out the next day, especially after sitting as the remaining water must pool in a corner. Probably the best thing to do if you want to kill bacteria or germs is to rinse with water then re-rinse with alcohol then dry more than 24 hours. The alcohol will help evaporate any water remaining in the cart.

Last edited:

impostor71

ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2009
Naperville, IL
For those of you who are doing the Taryn Spin technique, try this...

after you rinse with water/PGA put a condom on the open mouth end, but don't put it all the way on. Just enough to hold it there, put the cartomizer mouth/condom end down and then spin that thing. It'll push all the water/PGA into the condom where you can remove and dump out.

DaShiVa

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2009
Texas
My mum's a nurse, she bought us up with the belief that the body learns to fight germs by being exposed to them (within reason) - I mean we always had clean dishes, but she didn't disinfect every last thing (unless it was raw meat juice or whatever) and when we got our bumps and scrapes, we'd wash it with water, mebbe a little soap, and that was it. no cream/spray/bandaid (unless it was serious).
To this day (in my 30's now) I'm the one who never gets a cold or the flu, or infections, or anything, while those around me are always catching stuff like that. Even kissing girlfriends who later got/had the flu or whatever never affected me.

I know it's not any sort of a clinical study, but it works for me. I only wash my coffee cup about twice a year :p

katkin

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2009
Cape Coral, Florida, USA
My mum's a nurse, she bought us up with the belief that the body learns to fight germs by being exposed to them (within reason) - I mean we always had clean dishes, but she didn't disinfect every last thing (unless it was raw meat juice or whatever) and when we got our bumps and scrapes, we'd wash it with water, mebbe a little soap, and that was it. no cream/spray/bandaid (unless it was serious).
To this day (in my 30's now) I'm the one who never gets a cold or the flu, or infections, or anything, while those around me are always catching stuff like that. Even kissing girlfriends who later got/had the flu or whatever never affected me.

I know it's not any sort of a clinical study, but it works for me. I only wash my coffee cup about twice a year :p

Yeah - if you coddle and protect your immune system, it turns into a delicate little thing - or goes off to fight things it doesn't need to fight. It needs some exercise to stay strong and healthy!
You can be too clean.

Last edited:

LastOutlaw

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2009
Texas
www.quantumtour.com
and when we got our bumps and scrapes, we'd wash it with water, mebbe a little soap, and that was it. no cream/spray/bandaid (unless it was serious).
My dad would just smack us upside the head and say " Walk it off u pansy". Sometimes my older brothers would spit on it for me.

Last edited:

Viv Savage

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
So, bacteria aside, it sounds like most of you would recommend rinsing a carto if it's going to be unfilled and unused for quite awhile, yes?

For example, I'm enjoying this Parliament carto I got with my Tobacco Shop Sampler, but once it's empty, I will probably not be buying Parliament juice to refill it with for quite awhile. So, even though I intend to refill with it with this same flavor at some point in the future, I gather it would be better to rinse it out anyway, so that it doesn't get all dried out? Does that seem to be the consensus?

Pugzley

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2009
USA
I don't know because I've not let any of mine sit around for any length of time after they were empty, only a couple of weeks at most.

Maybe the residual juice drying up in the cartos does something to the batting? All of this stuff is water soluable, though, but maybe if it dries up in there while sitting around it changes the fibers in the carto somehow?

If I have some cartos that are empty and going to sit for a long time, I will rinse mine out and let them dry out before storing them.

Last edited:

LastOutlaw

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2009
Texas
www.quantumtour.com
Just make sure you cap it. It is possible it could dry out otherwise.

So, bacteria aside, it sounds like most of you would recommend rinsing a carto if it's going to be unfilled and unused for quite awhile, yes?

For example, I'm enjoying this Parliament carto I got with my Tobacco Shop Sampler, but once it's empty, I will probably not be buying Parliament juice to refill it with for quite awhile. So, even though I intend to refill with it with this same flavor at some point in the future, I gather it would be better to rinse it out anyway, so that it doesn't get all dried out? Does that seem to be the consensus?

keyzygirl

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
Key West,Fl.
I did washing out and refilling today,I mixed in a little vg,it got thick,so I added vodka ooops too much,I made a mess and when I was done,I didnt like them.I think Im just gonna top off and save them.I think it was the juice,vg,vodka combo,but for now,They are going in a can!!I can use a carto for 2days just topping off.Good enough!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread