Rip Trippers Drama - Your opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also after skimming through some of the posts on reddit, there are vendors on there vouching for him. Saying that rip went out of his way to vet their customer service before he recommends them...

He's actually pretty good about that. He's always talking about whether or not the customer service he encountered was good or bad.

I've watched probably every video he has ever uploaded. His style has changed a lot since the beginning, and he's developed a few idiosyncrasies that I don't particularly care for, but there is worth in his reviews. A lot of people say that he never points out negatives about a specific product... I don't agree with that at all. I think one thing that makes it appear that way is that since he doesn't review clones, the quality is usually pretty good, unless there is some major design flaw, which he does point out. As far as the "final verdict" regarding whatever piece of gear he happens to be reviewing, he's not doing anything differently than most other reviewers. An example would be all the new clearo tanks that are being released, with every one being just a little better than the last. That's more of a commentary on how the industry as a whole is learning. One thing I always find ironic is when I hear people say that reviewers "get the mod for free" and use that as a basis to show some impropriety on the reviewers part. If I was a a mod-maker, the most cost effective way for me to advertise my product would be to put it in the hands of a reviewer who is watched by thousands of vapers. It would be a gamble on my part, because they might tear it to pieces. But it would be of mutual benefit... it would give the reviewer some new piece of equipment to review, which, believe it or not, is their biggest motivation, and it would give me "almost" free advertising, as I would surely just tell them to keep whatever I had sent for review. Why would I want a used, potentially scratched atomizer back?

Society these days seem to watch everything with a conspiratorial eye and the level of judgement we pass on others is incredible. These reviewers are providing us with a service. They have saved me probably hundreds of dollars (I'm a notorious early-adopter) and I pay nothing for it.

JamieZ4M

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2014
Sheffield UK
He's actually pretty good about that. He's always talking about whether or not the customer service he encountered was good or bad.

I've watched probably every video he has ever uploaded. His style has changed a lot since the beginning, and he's developed a few idiosyncrasies that I don't particularly care for, but there is worth in his reviews. A lot of people say that he never points out negatives about a specific product... I don't agree with that at all. I think one thing that makes it appear that way is that since he doesn't review clones, the quality is usually pretty good, unless there is some major design flaw, which he does point out. As far as the "final verdict" regarding whatever piece of gear he happens to be reviewing, he's not doing anything differently than most other reviewers. An example would be all the new clearo tanks that are being released, with every one being just a little better than the last. That's more of a commentary on how the industry as a whole is learning. One thing I always find ironic is when I hear people say that reviewers "get the mod for free" and use that as a basis to show some impropriety on the reviewers part. If I was a a mod-maker, the most cost effective way for me to advertise my product would be to put it in the hands of a reviewer who is watched by thousands of vapers. It would be a gamble on my part, because they might tear it to pieces. But it would be of mutual benefit... it would give the reviewer some new piece of equipment to review, which, believe it or not, is their biggest motivation, and it would give me "almost" free advertising, as I would surely just tell them to keep whatever I had sent for review. Why would I want a used, potentially scratched atomizer back?

Society these days seem to watch everything with a conspiratorial eye and the level of judgement we pass on others is incredible. These reviewers are providing us with a service. They have saved me probably hundreds of dollars (I'm a notorious early-adopter) and I pay nothing for it.

I completely agree apart from his online persona, I do find him entertaining but can see how he might grind on people!

Yeah I don't understand what people mean by not pointing out flaws, he always does. I've always thought he was very honest.
He's straight to the point and doesn't drag things on. I like pbusard but dont watch him very often due to the length of his videos.

BraveNewWorld

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2014
Pennsylvania
If you haven't seen the old rip tripper videos....don't worry, nobody else has either (when checking out the number of views) they got.
OMG.

In his old videos he's nothing like the maniac you see today.
He has the deer in headlight look thru alot of his video...alot of um's intertwined.....it's really understandable when some people say he's not real.

This is when he was his realest. (worstest)

I do like the new Fake Rip tho.....just my 2cents.

LOOK AT THAT VAPOR!
Ha how cool it is to look back. I remember changing silica out for cotton in my first protank. That was mind blowing.
.4ohms at 40 watts now .....I appreciate every bit of progression! Thanks to everyone who had a hand in that! From YouTube to ECF. I'm humbled :)

"Let's dive down for some up-close and personal time and see what this bad boy is all about, but let me take a quick vape first. Damn, this thing won't focus. Vape big or go home!"

Clearly I'm qualified to have an opinion. Look out for the launch of the OGNDY vape channel, the one-stop vaping source to end the vaping wars.

Money makes the world go 'round.

RIP is a hoot!

JMHO og course.

:p

Noflers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2014
I find RIP extremely annoying and can't stand the animation he forces on himself. I mute his videos when I do watch them, and even then it's just to get a better look at a new product, or to find out a decent coil build on a specific RDA. As for him asking for money to do his reviews, that's always going to throw a bias on the review. Has anyone ever said how much he hates a product? Or how terrible something is?

JamieZ4M

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2014
Sheffield UK
I find RIP extremely annoying and can't stand the animation he forces on himself. I mute his videos when I do watch them, and even then it's just to get a better look at a new product, or to find out a decent coil build on a specific RDA. As for him asking for money to do his reviews, that's always going to throw a bias on the review. Has anyone ever said how much he hates a product? Or how terrible something is?
He often states his disappointment, cons and lack of flavour or vapour, bits he didn't like and what they should do to improve their products. What more do you want?

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
I've come to the conclusion that cigarette smoking had a hidden benefit. Smoking kept us from giving a crap about what everybody else was doing. Now that we quit, we're all up in everybody's grill about everything they do. So what if RIP is making money and so what if he's not. It's as baffling as trying to figure out why a complete stranger cares what I vape on or how many ohms I prefer my builds. If RIP or anybody else figured out a way to get free stuff and money by sitting in front of a camera talking about vape gear, well, good for them. If anything, I'm jealous.

NCCTC

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2015
Hills-Vegas, NC
All of these reviewers have helped me in their own ways. What goes on behind the scenes is of no concern to me.
Product companies are getting free traffic driven to them by these guys, and that's how business is done these days.
As long as the reviews seem to be honest, I'm on board, and will subscribe. I agree with Todd (Todds Ecigreviews)
in his latest VLog; where he said if reviewers are going to talk about what goes on behind the scenes, just be honest.
The internet is a valuable tool, but it also ruins a lot of things; due to how negative information seems to travel farther
than the positive. In the end, it's all about NOT smoking cigs, whether you chase clouds or not. To Rip I say keep up
the great work, and let the water keep rolling under those bridges. Opinion only, add salt to taste as you see fit.

Carnage9270

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2015
Washington
I don't mind if reviewers get paid to do their thing as long as it doesn't affect the outcome of the review. If people don't trust a reviewer based on whether they are getting paid or not, you probably shouldn't be watching that reviewer anyways. Trust issues. But saying you don't get paid and you are, well, that's just flat out lying. I have no idea if that is the case with Rip, just my personal stance on lying in general. I like Rips videos, he's fun to watch and his build tips are awesome.

ImaStarreVap3r

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2015
SoCal
I'm not sure if someone has already said this because I haven't read all the comments for this post but I think there is a very big difference between accepting money and asking or money for a review. I don't see a reason not to accept money if they come to you and offer it up front but when you go to the company and ask them for money for a review that shows that the reviewer is in it for the money and not just for giving an honest opinion about the product. I just watched a great video by TVC in which he explains the whole deal with getting paid for his reviews and in the video Brian clearly states that he is not in it for the money and that he does the reviews to help people out and give honest information, which I defiantly believe.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I agree with Todd (Todds Ecigreviews)
in his latest VLog; where he said if reviewers are going to talk about what goes on behind the scenes, just be honest.
The internet is a valuable tool, but it also ruins a lot of things; due to how negative information seems to travel farther
than the positive. In the end, it's all about NOT smoking cigs, whether you chase clouds or not. To Rip I say keep up
the great work, and let the water keep rolling under those bridges. Opinion only, add salt to taste as you see fit.

I watched the vlog and was impressed. I also never had a problem with most of the "big traffic" reviewers.

When somebody reviews clearly average or bad products at a bogus price, then I speak up with whatever knowledge I have. The internet is a powerful tool for good and for less good (clearly, the word "evil" barely makes sense in this context).

My personal crusade is that forums should be the safe havens for people looking to get into a hobby or buy certain products. Outrageous shilling should be questioned without fear.

Last edited:

spartanstew

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
Wylie, Texas
Personally I don't watch Rip or 420, and have probably seen about 10 minutes total of either of their reviews - they're both annoying. I'll stick with Todd mainly.

But, it wouldn't shock me if this was all orchestrated by VJ himself. He can't go a week without drama or controversy and there was probably nothing going on over the last couple of weeks and he needed something to get excited about.

Spamby

Jan 16, 2015
Oregon
Personally I don't watch Rip or 420, and have probably seen about 10 minutes total of either of their reviews - they're both annoying. I'll stick with Todd mainly.

But, it wouldn't shock me if this was all orchestrated by VJ himself. He can't go a week without drama or controversy and there was probably nothing going on over the last couple of weeks and he needed something to get excited about.
^^end of thread^^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread