Riva 510/901 with adapter for cartomizer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Atlanta
Hello all. After doing some research and reading around, I feel a little more informed in my decision as to which e-cig to get. I have decided to get a Riva, but I am not really sure if I should get the 510 or 901, and I can't seem to find anywhere what the difference is. I know it has something to do with the threading but from what I've read a lot of people seem to prefer the 901 because of the 901 atomizers? I don't understand everything completely yet... but it seems that 901 produce better flavor and 510 gets more vapor but it is more harsh? I think I stopped using my last e-cig (forgot what it was) because it kept hurting my throat and I didn't know enough about tinkering to fix it.

Are the 510 and 901 batteries completely different? I think I want to try using both the cartomizers and the atomizer + cart to see which one I like better, but I want to know if I should just get a 901 starter kit and buy a pack of cartomizers or should I get a 510 kit and get an adapter so I can use 901 atomizers/carts? Is that how it works (I feel like I am making this too complicated for myself lol)?

Is there a difference between these two set ups? Thanks all. I would like to start vaping soon! This weekend I smoked a ton of cigs and I am coughing all day today.. it sucks!

LucentShadow

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
Michigan, USA
Hi. The batteries would be the same, except for the threading and connection type. 510 and 901 are completely different connections.

Since it's far easier to find 510 cartomizers and atomizers, I got a 510 style, and ordered two 510-to-901 adapters (I always keep a backup of everything...) I have two 901 atomizers, but have not tried them yet. Some people do prefer them over 510 styles for the reasons that you described. They have a different airflow design than the 510.

I also had terrible sore throats in my first forays into vaping, and I found that I'm quite sensitive to propylene glycol. I use juices that are all or mostly VG (vegetable glycerin) now. Drinking plenty of water, using standard resistance attys/cartos instead of low-resistance, lower nicotine, and avoiding flavorings that irritate are other things that can alleviate that.

Charlz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2011
upstate NY
Have a friend on here that uses both and I'll see if I can poke him for you. I use both the 510 and 901/808 but don't own either of the Riva models. I prefer the 808 cartomizers (which fit a 901 thread with no adapter neeed) but there is plenty more playing around offered by the 510 model. If you can only choose one, get the 510 model. Madvapes makes a shorty 510 to 901/808 thread adapter that is low profile, doesn't change the resistance as larger thread adapters can, and adds only 1mm of length to the post. So I find it easier to adapt a 510 model to 901 atomizers and the horizontal coil 808 cartomizers I like so much. Here's the link to the adapter 510 to 901/808-D Shorty Adapter
Buy two.....they are easy to lose.
Good luck to you.

Kyi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Atlanta
Actually, after some consideration and more reading, I think I will go with the Riva 510 kit and get the adapter and some 901 carts, since I can upgrade easier with the 510 right? I mean, I hear of people using the 901 atomizers but I can use the cartos as well, right? This resistance stuff is a little confusing to me.

Charlz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2011
upstate NY
The resistance determines the heat of the vapor. The lower the resistance, the warmer the vapor. Heat also kills flavor. Some like warm vapor, some like cooler an more flavorful. It's not a universal law though as far as heat vs. flavor. Some flavors still do well with high heat. Generally you can try anything from 1.7ohms to 3.0 an have good results. Noone can tell you what you will like more, only what they prefer. They do make 1.5 ohms that can be used on that battery but some would not encourage it as it's pushing the batteries limits.

The reason, of course a lower ohm carto will produce more and warmer vapor is because it is using more power from your battery. Not really an issue when you have 2 batteries that will last about 6-7 hours, but you trade battery run time for the warmer vape.

That's a basic explanation of it.

spaceballsrules

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2011
North Carolina, USA
Hey Kyi. I have both the Riva 510 and 901.

The reason I bought the 901 is because I have a lot of KR808D-1 (interchangeable with 901 threading) cartomizers that I bought with my V2Cigs kit when I started. Those cartos are rated at ~2.8 ohms, and I am very happy with that with all of my juices. These Kanger KR808D-1 cartos also work great.

I bought the 510 kit to have a greater choice of attys and cartos that I could use. There are so many variations of what a 510 thread will accept. It seems to be the industry standard for higher end models. I like to use Boge 510 cartos rated at 2.7 ohm on that one, but I also have a GV Vision Extreme Mini that I use for one of my juices.

If you don't have anything yet (ecig or cartos) just get the 510, so that way you have several upgrade paths that you can take in the future. Then again, it might suit your needs perfectly, and you will not need an upgrade. Either way, there is no price difference between the 510 and 901, so just get the 510.

Avoid using an adapter. I have found that adapters make the draw harder. I have also read that they may add resistance, thus making for a cooler vape. Whatever it is, I know I don't like adapters. If you do use an adapter, the shorty that Charlz already linked to is your best bet.

I can tell you right now that you will not like the atty/cart combination. The carts need to be refilled constantly and the flavor is inconsistent. Just dripping into an atty is a differnet story. The attys that come in the Riva kits are not that great, but they work well enough for dripping and trying different flavors before committing the juice to a carto.

Last edited:

Kyi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Atlanta
Thank you for your input! =)

Actually, from what I was reading, some people think the 510 with LR attys are too harsh and said the 901 attys are better for a smoother hit with more flavor. I have not tried them so I do not know. All I know is, I am worried about the 510's being too harsh, which is why I have an interest in trying to use 901 cartomizers with the 510 battery. Do the same rules apply with the resistance and stuff when using cartomizers instead of the cart/atty combo? I don't think I will like the cart/atty combo that much either, as I find the cartomizers to be much more simple and cost effective. The setup I was conjuring up in my head would be the Riva 510 battery with an adapter so I can use 901 cartomizers. Is this not good? I do want flavor and I want a smooth hit, not one that will hurt my throat.

I base this off these threads:

Riva 510 or Riva 901 - Which to buy?
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...5-noob-question-510-atty-vrs-dse901-atty.html
Does anyone prefer the 901 atty ?
901 vs 510 atty...Am I the only one? - Vapers Forum

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
I only use Riva 510 because I know the Riva 510 kits at Liberty-Flights.com are all 3.7v. I would not want to use a KR808D-1 carto on anything that isn't at least 3.7v because I vape those cartos at 3.7v on slim KR808D-1 (on my Riva 510 I use an adapter for the KR8 cartos). The Liberty-Flights.com Riva kits are all new stock from the manufacturer that now makes them 3.7v (Eastmall I think). And in UK the Liberty-Flights.co.uk Riva 510 SE's are 3.7v. The other manufacturer of Riva 510 I think makes them 3.4v like Ego and old-stock Eastmall ones are 3.4v. I have never heard if any Riva 901 is 3.7v - they are not as popular and could be old stock even if Eastmall.

Also 510 threading has the most stuff native by far.

Charlz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2011
upstate NY
Some do find a hotter vape to be a little harsher. The cartomizers aren't as bad. And isn't as much to worry about whether you will enjoy them or not. You can order some in different ohms to see what works best for you.
Your juice also will factor into it. PG and nicotine produce a harsher feel. What is known as throat hit. You want to get juice that has enough nic to satisfy you but not so much you won't enjoy it, or worse, get too much of a nic buzz from it. 18 and 24mg is a good starting point. 18 should satisfy a moderate smoker.
VG is also a base in juice. This smooths out the harshness of juice and produces more vapor. But it does so at the cost of flavor. There I find my best results come in about 75/25 blends of pg/vg. Use these as guidelines and you can adjust as you see fit, down the line. Most juices unless otherwise specified, come around the ratio I have stated and there are some juices made by vendors that are specifically made to be high vg juice.

spaceballsrules

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2011
North Carolina, USA
I only use Riva 510 because I know the Riva 510 kits at Liberty-Flights.com are all 3.7v. I would not want to use a KR808D-1 carto on anything that isn't at least 3.7v because I vape those cartos at 3.7v on slim KR808D-1 (on my Riva 510 I use an adapter for the KR8 cartos). The Liberty-Flights.com Riva kits are all new stock from the manufacturer that now makes them 3.7v (Eastmall I think). And in UK the Liberty-Flights.co.uk Riva 510 SE's are 3.7v. The other manufacturer of Riva 510 I think makes them 3.4v like Ego and old-stock Eastmall ones are 3.4v. I have never heard if any Riva 901 is 3.7v - they are not as popular and could be old stock even if Eastmall.

Also 510 threading has the most stuff native by far.

All the Rivas sold by Liberty Flights are 3.7V regulated, including the 901. ImYourSalt from LF just posted yesterday that they are switching their Riva manufacturer from Eastmall to SmokTech. Still all 3.7V, but the new ones do NOT have the 3 click on/off feature. The Riva 901 kits and parts still have the 3 click on/off, though, as they are old stock at the moment. LF also offers the SmokTech eGo, which is also 3.7V regulated and 510 threading.

Kyi - Are you confused yet?

With the same juice loaded and the batts both fresh off the charger, I can tell no difference between a 2.7 ohm Boge carto on the 510 from a 2.8 ohm carto on the 901. FWIW :p

Charlz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2011
upstate NY
Get it. It will be the quickest path to enjoying it. I believe the cartos that come with the kit are low resistance. First priority is to buy a couple different juices because you need to enjoy your juice. Second would be a pack of boge 2.7ohm cartomizers or the LF cartomizers(horizontal coil). Throw in a 510 drip tip too. It pops onto the cartomizer in case the cartos are too hot.

Bottom line.....just go for it. It's a great kit and you'll be happy. The rest is just advice on enjoying it a little more.

spaceballsrules

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2011
North Carolina, USA
So I should just get the 501 cartomizer kit and call it a day and not get the adapter + 901 cartomizers? The 510 carto deluxe kit comes with 5 LR Boge cartos. Maybe I'll pick up some normal/higher resistance cartos as well?
That is EXACTLY what I would recommend. :2cool:

Kyi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Atlanta
Thank you all, I shall put in my order today. =) Can't wait to vape!

Edit: Actually... can anyone recommend a good site to pick up this kit? I was talking to someone from Liberty Flights and she was answering my questions but has not responded in 3 days, and I also PMed ImYourSalt and he also did not reply to me. They are out of stock and I am tired of waiting for a response.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread