RIva 510,VG, and smart cart=taste like burning!

Status
Not open for further replies.

interestingfellow

ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2010
Virginia US
OK, I use a Riva 510, mostly VG bases, and now, Smartcarts.

The smart carts seem to be a good idea and/or an improvement over the standard carts. the window is nice to be able to check your juice level, and they are overall better.

But i'm not getting enough juice on my atty. One of the first things I did was yank out that gigantic plug of polyfill, make a triwing spacer (about 3/16 tall and the shape of a Y if you are looking into the cart from the end) and replace the polyfill with about 1/4 of what was in there (I'll post picks in another thread to be started,as soon as my phone stops brainfarting).
I did this to reduce the recovery time of the polyfill (how long it takes to resaturate after a long drag) and increase juice flow overall. It worked better than the stock smartcart, but as before, I can still taste the polyfill getting toasted. The riva uses LR atties, with no time limit, so after one good long drag, I have to wait, or vape the filler.
I know many people have tried the blue fish foam (on my to do list for the day) but was curious if there was any other better material available. Something that won't toast when used in an ecig, like a ceramic or silicone.
I almost liked the stock carts better becuase I liked to top them off often keeping the juice fresh on the atty (which had to be done anyway becuase they run out after 3-5 drops, IMHO).

Ideas?

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
Hey Interesting,

I cant really answer your question as to the cart problem but try some New 510 dual coil cartomizers. They are fantastic on the riva.
You dont have to fill often and you will really enjoy the flavor and vapor from these. I got mine at cloudsofvapor. Other vendors have them also like madvapes and others. Cheap and really good.

cyberwolf

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2009
Coral Springs, FL
Cartridges generally have trouble feeding LR atties fast enough, but the SmartCarts are an improvement. The burnt taste you are getting is likely not the polyfill, but the wick under the bridge of the atomizer burning liquid on because it's too dry. Try not to overdo that - once it gets liquid burned on, sometimes that taste takes a long time to go away.

Cartomizers are an atomizing coil and filer all designed as one complete unit. They don't use a cartridge. Instead, you saturate the filler inside of the cartomizer itself. The downside is that they're not usually as hot as an LR atty. Some of the new dual coils are better about this and are probably worth a try.

care

Apr 4, 2011
Pennsylvania, US
I am using the Riva510 with the smart carts. I'm having no burning taste or other problems. To fill the smart carts, I use tweezers to pull the polyfil out, add a few drops of liquid, stuff the polyfil back in with tweezers, and then top off with one drop of liquid. For liquid, I have been using Liberty Flights VG Menthol Blend and Halo CoolMist Menthol. Its been working consistant all week. I am really happy with my setup. I hope that you find a solution to your problem.

swedishfish

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 28, 2010
NJ
Ahhhhh: dual coil as in atty, not filler/feeder system

And thanks about the taste thing, I had forgot about having read that.

Now, I'm on a quest to find the right filler..... I just got 5 new atties, so I'm gonna burn'm up before I try/stock up on cartomizers....

Filler, filler, filler, filler, filler........

Try the mod section under cartridges. Lots of interesting stuff there. There's one about a foil method/screen method.

interestingfellow

ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2010
Virginia US
@care:
You left that giant blob of fill in the end and it doesn't give you problems?
how much do ou vape/day? how many drags in a row?

I like to toke 3 or 4 good drags in a row on occsion, or at least a good single drag. The poly with VG just can't keep up with me.

I syringe the cart tll the fill is sopping, cap it, and set it in my box till needed.
I also drip 2-3 drops in the atty before I put the cart on. It does well till about 1/2 way through that way. If I don't top the atty before adding a fresh filled cart, I only get 1/4 way through before it scorches. jsyk
Not trying to be short, just pressed for time; I do appreciate it!

care

Apr 4, 2011
Pennsylvania, US
@care:
You left that giant blob of fill in the end and it doesn't give you problems?
how much do ou vape/day? how many drags in a row?

I haven't had any problems. It's alot easier than I thought it would be. Once I fill the cart with liquid, I stuff polyfil back in. The polyfil is on top of the cart opening. When I need to refill, I use my tweezers to take out the polyfil. I have one cart for my LF liquid and another cart for my Halo liquid. I have used only those two carts all week. I probably use about 2 ml of liquid a day. When vaping, usually one drag, sometimes two in a row. :)

melloyello

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2011
usa
Hey Interesting,

I cant really answer your question as to the cart problem but try some New 510 dual coil cartomizers. They are fantastic on the riva.
You dont have to fill often and you will really enjoy the flavor and vapor from these. I got mine at cloudsofvapor. Other vendors have them also like madvapes and others. Cheap and really good.

if you use the 510 dual coil cartomizer, you are running the risk of destroying your battery since it runs so hot. they dont recommend anything lower than 2.0ohm on a 650 or 750 batt and those suckers run at 1.6. people have used them and had success but...juss sayin'. the manufacturer of the dual coil cartos does not recommend using them on a 650/750 ego/riva. i would look into Vortex by gotvapes.

interestingfellow

ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2010
Virginia US
THANKS!
I looked on the cart mod section:
I ended up making my own PTB mod (not really mine, it's just what I did after reading the cart mod section of ECF).
Flatten it out, fold it in half 4 times, cut slits 3/4 of the way down, unfold it, roll it tight, cut the bottom (to even it up), insert the tight rolled end, cut the shredded bits sticking out the end.
Viola! much better flow. I had to pull it out, unroll it, and trim off some to increase reflow rate. Works fantastic now.
*EDIT*
Yeah, that's been done http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/cartridge-mods/34401-ptb-plug-full-510-cart.html

As far as the rest of the comments, thank you.
I'm checking out the clear carts, just for GP.
I'm not terribly interested in changing my setup, so I'll probably stick with my atty/smartcart or maybe try the Blooge Cartomizers from LibertFlights.

I can see a mod in my near future..... When my Riva starts dying, I'll probably build a better badder .....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread