RoughStack Switch Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

justboringsarah

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
IN
**Let me start off saying that I love madvapes,and my credit card company knows just how much.**

My husband has a roughstack,that is his go to PV,in fact he never uses anything else

Early this month the first switch went bad,no problem we ordered more switches and swapped out the bad one for a new one.
Now less then 3 weeks later all the switches have died. At first we thought maybe it was the batteries,so we scrapped the 1st set and replaced with with brand new batteries.Is there some secret to keep the switches working? I hate this,once again he is without "his"PV and has adopted my GLV until we get this worked out.
Oh and he doesn't drip,only only uses carts of clearomizers
This thing is just out of warranty,so sending it back isn't much of an option now

Have you tried cleaning the switch? I will typically rub the contacts, traces, and leads from the switch with a q-tip. Every now and again a bit of juice will get in there and the switch just doesnt want to work. Rapidly pressing the switch with little force seems to clean the innards of the switch out as well.

p.s. I coated all of the traces with a solution called "de-ox-it", its an electronic contact cleaning solution, and it seems to have added great length to the cleaning intervals.

bushmaster

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2010
Colville, WA
Have you tried cleaning the switch? I will typically rub the contacts, traces, and leads from the switch with a q-tip. Every now and again a bit of juice will get in there and the switch just doesnt want to work. Rapidly pressing the switch with little force seems to clean the innards of the switch out as well.

p.s. I coated all of the traces with a solution called "de-ox-it", its an electronic contact cleaning solution, and it seems to have added great length to the cleaning intervals.

Good tip on the de-ox-it, I've just been using isopropyl aalcohol. Where do you find de-ox-it?

hoogie76

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 1, 2009
Charlotte, NC
I use a roughstack and my switches will get screwy after a while, it's the nature of the switch beast unfortunately.. But when it stars not firing, I press it really fast 20 or 30 times.. Seems to clear it out a bit.. But if that's no help, please log a ticket at MadVapes :: Support Ticket System stating that your replacement switch lasted less than 3 weeks and hoog told you to log a ticket..

thanks.. hoog :)

justboringsarah

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
IN
...and this is exactly why I love madvapes!!
I am going to try to clean the switches myself first. I just need my little helpers to give me a few free minutes
I use a roughstack and my switches will get screwy after a while, it's the nature of the switch beast unfortunately.. But when it stars not firing, I press it really fast 20 or 30 times.. Seems to clear it out a bit.. But if that's no help, please log a ticket at MadVapes :: Support Ticket System stating that your replacement switch lasted less than 3 weeks and hoog told you to log a ticket..

I got my deoxit from a previous employer. That junk is expensive! Musicians Friend has a small bottle for 15$! They have aerosol sprays, wipes, and small bottles with a brush. I use the latter.

As far as just to clean, isopropyl is just fine. Deoxit just has the added benefits of being an anti-corrosive, which can help to protect the longevity of electronics. I use it because I got it, not because its real useful on PV's lol. Though it is quite useful on electronics that see a lot of humidity.

bushmaster

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2010
Colville, WA
do you guys think noalox would help anything? I cleaned both switches with ia,and tried the button pushing thing and still nada

No, Noalox will help your conductivity, but if you're getting nothing--its not likely to help. You did clean out the atty socket with the alcohol, right?

bushmaster

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2010
Colville, WA
yeah I did,it's too bad my husband loves that little thing

Hey, I like it too. I'm a logger and its the perfect pv for a working vape in a difficult environment. The switch has tormented me as well. I still use it as my work vape, but I've had some battles during the day. I hate that.

ipodjulator

ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2010
normal, IL

wow so im sitting in my bed about to order another switch, tried the "mash the switch" fix and all of a sudden...the beautiful jet like noise of 7.4v coming up into my carto thanks hoogie

bushmaster

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2010
Colville, WA
For what its worth, I had relegated the original switch from my Roughstack to the junk box several months ago because it had become troublesome and then simply wouldn't fire at all anymore. Yesterday, on a whim I soaked that switch(completely submerged) in isopropyl alcohol for several hours occasionally pushing the button down a few times while soaking. I let it dry overnight and this morning it's firing like new. Worth a try.

Edit: I've set my REO aside and vaped on my work pv ( the Roughstack) all day and it hasn't missed a beat. I'm curious to see if anyone else tries this and has similar success.

Last edited:

Bradyo

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
FLORI-DUHH
I am going too chime in on this one. I haven't owened one but it looks like great pocket friendly vaping machine. I need honesty here on this purchase is this machine worth the money or should i save my cash and purchase sumthing else...please chime in i just don't wanna invest the cash and it wind up sitting collecting dust...:)

bushmaster

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2010
Colville, WA
Bradyo, you are right. The Roughstack is very pocket friendly. It has no on/off switch and no need for one. It would take a very unusual circumstance to unintentionally fire the Roughstack. Other than the occasional switch-cleaning issue in this thread, it is pretty much indestructible. Its not the prettiest mod on the market, but it is certainly worth the money. I recommend getting the maxi unless you already have some 18350 batteries sitting around. The 18650's are a better investment.

Jason_in_nc

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2010
It's a secret!
I love my roughstack. Been using it daily for over 6 months (iirc).

Let's fact it. Unless you're looking at a variable voltage mod, the roughstack is going to do the same thing that all the other mods do, but for about half the price. There's less bells and whistles to break, and if the switch DOES break, it's easy to replace. You don't have to send it back for repairs.

Plus, it's one of the smallest mods out there. You could also try one of their pre-made tube mods. Those work well too and they're much lighter. The horn switch is on the side so less likely to get any juice in it. However it's not something you can replace yourself like the RS.

grandmato5

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2010
WNY
I am going too chime in on this one. I haven't owened one but it looks like great pocket friendly vaping machine. I need honesty here on this purchase is this machine worth the money or should i save my cash and purchase sumthing else...please chime in i just don't wanna invest the cash and it wind up sitting collecting dust...:)

IMO the Roughstack is very much worth the price. It's simple and it works great. I was surprised by how small the Roughstack was. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about a top switch but I really liked it once I got to try it. It couldn't be more pocket friendly. Once I got it in my hand I didn't even think it was ugly anymore. LOL A couple of months after I purchased it I decided to add the extension tube so I could use the 18650 batt if I wanted to. Ok, so that does make it a bit ugly, but that's ok, cause it works great and that's all that really matters ! I like having the option of the smaller version or the larger version.

breaktru

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
The Indulgence is notorious for button problems. I found that a drop of Mineral Oil or Baby oil got the switch to work as new. I recommended it to several others who found that it worked on theirs as well. Alcohol will dry out the switch and cause it to bind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread