RSST dual coil ~

Status
Not open for further replies.

bender817

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
Yeah I have done both horizontal and vertical single coils in my RSST. I feel like there is a noticeable difference in flavor and vapor even when the coils are wrapped the same number of times on the same object. The main difference is your wicking method. I prefer to go horizontal in mine because then I can put the tail of the wick back under the coil. I am currently out of kanthal but there is some in the mail headed my way. When I get it in I'm definitely gonna start experimenting with the dual coil RSST idea.

Last edited:

bender817

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
Ok I played mad scientist for a little while and came up with something cool. Check this out first.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=11785303

Using this technique to make nested coils, I made a dual coil dragon for the RSST (or any genny really). First, I careful wrapped the 2 pieces of 28 gauge kanthal on a 1/16 drill bit (yes, its a micro) 6-7 times for a .6 ohm coil. Then I trapped the negative legs under the ground screw, and with the drill bit still in the coil, lifted the opposite end up so the coil was 45 degrees upward. Connected the positive legs to the center post and give it a few squeezes to get those coils touching.

Lets start the harder part. You need to make a loose flat wick about 3.5-4 inches long and twist just the end to guide it. Start under the wick from the back (between the center post and the ground screw) and pull through almost all the way. Wrap around the bottom end of the coil to close it off by the ground screw and go around the coil once more. From there go all the way around center post TWICE (around the bottom first, then up under the washer). When you get back around to the positive leg at the top put your thumb on the wick to hold it under the washer of the center post and thread the twisted end of the wick OVER the top leg. Use tweezers to pull it down gently and use a small flathead tuck the tail outward (under the coil). Saturate, fill, and fire.

So its a dual coil, nested, micro dragon for a genesis style atty. Its also adding quite a bit of cotton and reducing the cap volume. Crazy vapor and great flavor. I have decided to call it an Autodragon.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1389062870316.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389062870316.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 619
  • uploadfromtaptalk1389062883642.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389062883642.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 787
  • uploadfromtaptalk1389062917209.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389062917209.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 1,009
Last edited:

ConradM

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2013
Boise ID
Ok I played mad scientist for a little while and came up with something cool. Check this out first.

coil build question

Using this technique to make nested coils, I made a dual coil dragon for the RSST (or any genny really). First, I careful wrapped the 2 pieces of 28 gauge kanthal on a 1/16 drill bit (yes, its a micro) 6-7 times for a .6 ohm coil. Then I trapped the negative legs under the ground screw, and with the drill bit still in the coil, lifted the opposite end up so the coil was 45 degrees upward. Connected the positive legs to the center post and give it a few squeezes to get those coils touching.

Lets start the harder part. You need to make a loose flat wick about 3.5-4 inches long and twist just the end to guide it. Start under the wick from the back (between the center post and the ground screw) and pull through almost all the way. Wrap around the bottom end of the coil to close it off by the ground screw and go around the coil once more. From there go all the way around center post TWICE (around the bottom first, then up under the washer). When you get back around to the positive leg at the top put your thumb on the wick to hold it under the washer of the center post and thread the twisted end of the wick OVER the top leg. Use tweezers to pull it down gently and use a small flathead tuck the tail outward (under the coil). Saturate, fill, and fire.

So its a dual coil, nested, micro dragon for a genesis style atty. Its also adding quite a bit of cotton and reducing the cap volume. Crazy vapor and great flavor. I have decided to call it an Autodragon.

I keep hearing the term, "dual dragon" and I'm trying to understand.... From your description it sounds like a twisted single coil. If the coils are wrapped together, how is it a dual coil? I thought the idea behind multiple coils was to cover more surface area...

bender817

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
And they aren't twisted. Dual strands in tandem. It halves the ohm load just like a dual coil and it makes a 12 wrap micro coil that preforms like 2 separate six wraps. I didn't believe it until I tried it. :)

Dragons are usually nano coils 12-14 wraps. This thing has the id of a micro. Its a really warm, thick, flavorful vape. Its so thick if you exhale slow the vapor falls. Its delicious. :vapor:

Last edited:

ConradM

ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2013
Boise ID
And they aren't twisted. Dual strands in tandem. It halves the ohm load just like a dual coil and it makes a 12 wrap micro coil that preforms like 2 separate six wraps. I didn't believe it until I tried it. :)

Dragons are usually nano coils 12-14 wraps. This thing has the id of a micro. Its a really warm, thick, flavorful vape. Its so thick if you exhale slow the vapor falls. Its delicious. :vapor:

It really sounds basically the same as a twisted coil. You're increasing the size of the wire to drop resistance.

Jawden

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2013
Hilo, HI
well, i personally leave the fill plug out when i use my rsst. so after setting up my kraken in dual coil mode i was wondering about a dual coil for the rsst...so i ended up using the fill hole as a wick hole. make sense? haha. i dont have any pics on me, but the two coils share the same negative and positive posts. just that coils are on opposite sides. as well as wicks. works fine for me. but i still prefer my kraken. ;)

bender817

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Fort Worth, Texas
The fill hole is just slightly further away from the ground so take that into consideration. I would try that but I would want a second setup so I can drill two holes the same size in the cap. I don't want to drill another hole in mine because its 1/8" already and that would be too airy for me. I might eventually use the fill hole for a u-wick though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread