RTA not sure ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffertwo

Nov 6, 2014
somerset uk
I will have to write that equation down thanks for the handy info.
Frenchfry i think we are in the minority , got myself a kanger subtank mini, got it at 2 ohms.
only using 6 watts .8 nic good enough for me.
It dose seem to be getting through the juice a lot quicker.
i might have to go back to my protank and making the fiddly coils.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I keep my eyes peeled for a a small coil chamber and thinner chimney. Tight air intake, or mostly closed. When I inhale, I want more flavor coming up the chimney than air. Generally means a slow draw into the mouth. Since little air is involved, little cloud is produced.

The STMini is open juice and open air. It is a middle of the road, trying to please everyone RTA. Also conducive to low resistance (Sub-ohm).

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
I keep my eyes peeled for a a small coil chamber and thinner chimney. Tight air intake, or mostly closed. When I inhale, I want more flavor coming up the chimney than air. Generally means a slow draw into the mouth. Since little air is involved, little cloud is produced.

The STMini is open juice and open air. It is a middle of the road, trying to please everyone RTA. Also conducive to low resistance (Sub-ohm).

Two words: Mini Buddha

Reactions: Belhade

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Hi guys ,i still toot along with my protank 3, i also wind and cotton wick the old kanger coils to about 2ohm, i use it on a eleaf 30w at about 6 w, (im not a cloud chaser)
I have been tempted to get a kanger mini sub, but still want to toot along at 6w 2ohm,
the reason for the change is it looks a lot less messing about to coil and wick on the deck, no grommets or other fiddly bits .
OK sorted, but i have some questions . at the moment i get through about 5ml of juice a day , i have been warned i would get through about double that if i went down the rta route ,not sure why this would be the case if i am keeping the wattage and ohm the same as before.
what do you guys think?
I wind my coils 33 gauge with 5 wraps in the old kanger coil, i guess i would have to go to a 30 or 32 gauge wire as the diameter looks bigger on the mini sub tank, and use a lot more cotton through it,
is that the reason it would drink the juice ?
thanks for any info.

There are several factors going into whether a tank guzzles juice.

1. The build. Sub ohming ibcreases juice consumption.

2. Wattage.

3. Double coil or single. I had a rather heated debate about single or dual coils.

4. The formulation of the juice I prefer thicker juices

5. Are you using a Mech mod or regulated device?

Since you are building on a Pro Tank. With limited airflow; I think a Kayfun or Taifun would be down your alley

Ordinarily I would recommend UD"s Goblin Mini but that has BIG airflow.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Thanks Frenchfry. do you think i would have to use thicker wire in the coil , if i use my usual 33 i could only wrap it about twice to get the same 2 ohm ,in a deck that size. if i wound it as i do for the protank 33 gauge 5 wraps i don't think i would get enough cotton through for sufficient wicking on a RDA.

I coil my Goblin Mini with 26 or 28 gauge Kanthal 6-7 wraps around a 2 mm shaft. My buika varies from .8-1 Ohm. I prefer it this high so I can. Use my tank on mt Istick 40 TC, and if my Istick needs a charge I can throw my tank in an X6 if I have to use that .

About your 33 gauge wire I would recommend you go to 28 gauge or twist your 33:gauge because you have to tighten the screws and thinner wire is much more likely to be cut by the screws than a thicker gauge wire.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona

Sounds like the Nano version of the Kayfun is right down your alley with normal airflow.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
They have 2.5ml and then 10ml. One is skinny (18.5mm width) and the other fat (30mm). Kinda like Laurel and Hardy.

Why not stay with what I have? I guess that is a question for many.

If you are satisfied with building the Pro Tank that is all that matters. If you are sick and tired if building the Pro Tank heads then consider a Kayfun or taifun.

With the disability of my left hand I found it IMPOSSIBLE to build the Pro Tank without short after short.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
I switched over a couple of years ago from the tanks that use factory made coils. My choice was the Kayfun 3 and 4. I got tired of paying $1.50 a pop for coils that lasted 1-3 days before popping or tasting nasty. I went through the popular tanks and all of them required too frequent coil replacements.

With the Kayfun 3 and 4 I can get a month, maybe two before recoiling. I just dry burn the coil when I do a wick change. It's a simple process that I can do in 5 minutes once every 5 days or so. I'm still on the same $7.00 roll of 28ga Kanthal I started with a couple of years ago. A small bag of Japanese or Egyptian cotton lasts for months, changing the wick every 3 to 5 days. The wick could last longer, but I have to remove it to dry burn the coil.

I've probably saved enough money to buy another Provari by recoiling and rewicking instead of buying heads. I was vaping 6ml to 8ml a day on my Nautilus and I'm vaping about the same on the Kayfun RTA at 8 or 9 watts. When the coil and wick are new, I drop the wattage a little lower.

I have had a coil last 3 months in my Kayfun Lite Plus. I just dry burn the coil and rewick when the cotton and coil tastes nasty.

Reactions: DaveP

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
I am in a similar boat with the lowering nic, flavor over cloud approach. It seems all the new RTAs are for sub-ohm with huge airflows and designs for high wattage. Getting tougher to find a good low-end RTA design for flavor.

Currently, my line-up is the Rose V2, KF V4 and the Agua V2.

Hope helps

I use a Kayfun light Nano w Bell cap. Holds 2.7 ml or so: and Goblin Mini clone. Both have very good flavor. I prefer the Mini for the better flavor and bigger airflow.

I build them in the. 8-1 Ohm. Both single coils.

On fasttech you can get a clone of the mini for $10 or a Kayfun base for about $6-7, and get a bellcap kit that has the plastic tank. And the housing for the coil and the Nano chimney for $5-6. I checked prices when I bought another Goblin Mini. If you want some replacement Bell caps those are $2 each.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
I'm a retired mathematician :). If you have math questions, look for me.

Not a problem there.

I was an algebra nightmare in school. In Algebra bees I could do the calculation in my head before my opponents could write the problem down.

My sister does Calculus and Numerical Analysis in her head and holds two masters degrees.

Both of us have IQs high enough to join Mensa. Mine has been gauged everywhere from 130-165. One of my college professors said he would not be surprised if my IQ wasn't close to 200.

You know Sudoku players have 50-70 strategies for Sudoku. I discovered a sudoku secret that you can solve ANY sudoku puzzle with only three strategies.

I will just say the possibility matrix IS NOT YOUR FRIEND.

If you only limit possibilities to two or three places the number can go you will spot linked pairs you never would have seen with the full matriz in place. Another technique I use I call FILL IT IN. If you see a row, column or box almost filled in focus on this area and see if you can solve that column box or row this will help you solve other parts of the sudoku. I can solve any of the puzzles in Sudoku magazines in 7-12 minutes. The level 5 and level 6 puzzles take me up to 25 minutes..

I knew how to convert metric. Your process wasvso simple and elegant.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
You know what an enabler I am ;)

The Mini. The 18mm guy.

I know. I am grateful for the Rose V2 though. I am very happy with it. The others that are in my line-up, I have to shut down the air flow, but sometimes, just the general design of new RTAs are not really helpful to flavor. Its all about clouds these days.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
I know. I am grateful for the Rose V2 though. I am very happy with it. The others that are in my line-up, I have to shut down the air flow, but sometimes, just the general design of new RTAs are not really helpful to flavor. Its all about clouds these days.

There's actually quite a few good flavor tanks. Just not many in the budget priced authentics. You would probably like the Mini Buddha and HCigar HC Plus. You can get the HC Plus at Froginfog, but I could not find a US vendor. Shipping from Canada was $20, and I wouldn't pay that for a budget RTA. However, the HC Plus has a plastic or SS tank, not glass, and I know you like glass.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
I decided on a Erlkonigin V2 clone for $12.34. It comes with glass and seems well reviewed. Are you happy now.

Doesn't matter whether we are happy to not. The question is will you be happy with it.

Take reviews with a grain of salt. They don't always know what they are talking about.

I was having massive leaking problems with my Freakshow Mini. It was leaking like crazy.

I wanted a top airflow and atty to stop the leaking. Every reviewer hatef the Rogue that I saw I looked at other top airflow attys; and those were out of my budget. I found the Rogue for $8.99. Since I did not have much to lose I took a chance and I was hooked. I went back and bought two more Rogue's.

Reactions: Foggy Road

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Doesn't matter whether we are happy to not. The question is will you be happy with it.

Take reviews with a grain of salt. They don't always know what they are talking about.

I was having massive leaking problems with my Freakshow Mini. It was leaking like crazy.

I wanted a top airflow and atty to stop the leaking. Every reviewer hatef the Rogue that I saw I looked at other top airflow attys; and those were out of my budget. I found the Rogue for $8.99. Since I did not have much to lose I took a chance and I was hooked. I went back and bought two more Rogue's.

He was talking to me ;). He and I talk a lot about RTAs, and being the little addict that I am, I'm often telling him to buy this or that :D We were just messing with each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread