RTA not sure ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffertwo

Nov 6, 2014
somerset uk
Hi guys ,i still toot along with my protank 3, i also wind and cotton wick the old kanger coils to about 2ohm, i use it on a eleaf 30w at about 6 w, (im not a cloud chaser)
I have been tempted to get a kanger mini sub, but still want to toot along at 6w 2ohm,
the reason for the change is it looks a lot less messing about to coil and wick on the deck, no grommets or other fiddly bits .
OK sorted, but i have some questions . at the moment i get through about 5ml of juice a day , i have been warned i would get through about double that if i went down the rta route ,not sure why this would be the case if i am keeping the wattage and ohm the same as before.
what do you guys think?
I wind my coils 33 gauge with 5 wraps in the old kanger coil, i guess i would have to go to a 30 or 32 gauge wire as the diameter looks bigger on the mini sub tank, and use a lot more cotton through it,
is that the reason it would drink the juice ?
thanks for any info.

Reactions: Foggy Road

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
If you intend to continue at low wattage/high ohm the the ST is not the tool for you! It really isnt set up for M2L vaping in my opinion (I have 2 minis and 2 nanos!). As a step up, you might check out the ehpro mini buddha. Single coil deck, well made, easy to set up. There is a thread somewhere on ECF in the RTA forum. Probably a few pages back. Check it out!!

ps I have two of the buddha minis! Run at ~1.2ohms kanthal at 11W so very much the kind of vape style you are after. I also started on a protank 3 and this is a night-and-day difference!

Reactions: Belhade

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I switched over a couple of years ago from the tanks that use factory made coils. My choice was the Kayfun 3 and 4. I got tired of paying $1.50 a pop for coils that lasted 1-3 days before popping or tasting nasty. I went through the popular tanks and all of them required too frequent coil replacements.

With the Kayfun 3 and 4 I can get a month, maybe two before recoiling. I just dry burn the coil when I do a wick change. It's a simple process that I can do in 5 minutes once every 5 days or so. I'm still on the same $7.00 roll of 28ga Kanthal I started with a couple of years ago. A small bag of Japanese or Egyptian cotton lasts for months, changing the wick every 3 to 5 days. The wick could last longer, but I have to remove it to dry burn the coil.

I've probably saved enough money to buy another Provari by recoiling and rewicking instead of buying heads. I was vaping 6ml to 8ml a day on my Nautilus and I'm vaping about the same on the Kayfun RTA at 8 or 9 watts. When the coil and wick are new, I drop the wattage a little lower.

Last edited:

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
I run my Kayfun with the same OHM coils made from the same wire as I ran in my Protanks. I rebuild the Protanks as 1.5ohm up to 2.2 ohm BVC with cotton. Mostly 1.5-1.8. The difference being airflow and I can feed the coils more watts with out burning cotton. The Protanks I cant run above 7-8watts but with the Kayfun I can go to 15watts, Max for my Kick. I get better flavor, but also use a bit more juice, 25-50% more per day. Run time before REwicking is close, But the Kayfun will run longer. Do to the NET juices I use I don't get more than a day from either tank. The Kayfun is MUCH easier to service though.

Ronald3638

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2013
Zeeland, MI, USA
The subtank mini will give a decent vape with a 2 ohm coil at 9 watts but is you go much below that it's a bit lame. I haven't noticed any increase in the use of my eliquid running it this way. I typically use 4 wraps of 32 gauge Kanthal around a 4-40 screw which gives me about 1.9 ohm coils.

Although you will get a decent vape with the subtank mini a kayfun lite, kayfun lite+ or kayfun V4 will give you a great vape by comparison.

I don't have experience with the tanks roxynoodle has mentioned but I would definitely look into those as well.

Petabread

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2014
Miami, FL
I really don't have anything to add here. I just wanted to say, I'm glad to see you guys offering OP good advice. Not criticizing him for not being a cloud chaser. "Cmon bro, you need to upgrade."

If he were to go into a local B&M (at least here in Miami) they'd be pushing him towards a Darkhorse RDA or an Aromamizer RDTA. Good on you guys.

Reactions: Foggy Road

puffertwo

Nov 6, 2014
somerset uk
Thanks for the info guys,glad i didn't rush off and buy the ST , i like the sound of the buddha.
i have been vapeing and off the stinkys for a year. My only aim when i started out was to give up the evil smokes due to health and cost. i have done a bit of cloud chasing subing, but for the life of me i cant see the reason for it.

SmoKnoMoCigZ

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2013
constitution state
i started on evod type tanks and soon moved up to protank 2. i liked them so much i bought 7 or 8 of them so i could rotate thru flavors without cleaning out tanks. i did the same as you with coiling and wicking the protanks and was very happy with the vape. then i got a kayfun lite and enjoyed the vape even more. when the first subtank mini was released i decided to give it a try and was blown away by the performance compared to the protanks and kayfuns. i`m not a cloud chaser i`m more about the flavor. on all my previous setups i was doing mouth to lung inhales and with the subtank i do strait lung hits. i go from .3 to .7 ohms and usually 15 to 25 watts. when the subox kit was released i got one and its a great little unit. i know the subtank is not the best flavor tank out there and i`m now waiting for my Cthulhu V2 to arrive. just thought i would throw this out there.

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX
I'm going thru 3-3.5ml a day between Tootle puffing on my EhPro Squape with 2.2 ohm build at 3.3v on my 650 ego or 1600 spinners. And an eGrip V1 w/RBA base at 1.5 ohm 8 watts. I can't imagine an easier build than the Squape (but I AM a noob), it was a prize from a MadVapes contest came with an e-Huge mod. Think bloated 26650 Vamo. Nice mod but too much for a lanyard. Makes a great backup power source for my Windoze tablet tho.:thumb:

Last edited:

milescadre

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
kayfuns typically are some the easiest tanks to rebuild. however, to mess with the coil you usually have ot drain the tank (with the exception of the v4)

Goblin mini is on my list, and if its anything like the regular goblin, its gonna be a cloud chuckin, flavor packed vape of epic goodness.

Lemo 2 is a good option aswell ^^

Youtube Todd's Ecig Reviews for kayfuns and you'll see how easy it is to build nad how great of a vape it can be ^^ (and if you dont like todd, try your favorite vaper, or just youtube kayfun builds in general)

puffertwo

Nov 6, 2014
somerset uk
Thanks for all the feed back guys, I bit the bullet and got a subtank mini, it seemed to tick all my boxes,
easy deck to use, bottom filler without a silly little screw that i know i would lose,
can unscrew it and re-wick without ditching the juice.
Now unlike most of you, i like my coils at 2ohm at about 6 watts, don't laugh.
i had a go at making a 33 gauge 5 wrap around my little nail i use for my protanks.
it was a bit to flimsy , so i found a bit of 32 gauge wound it on the blue screw driver about 9 wraps,
i managed to get to 1.5 ohm, it seems to be ploughing through the juice a lot quicker than my 2ohm protank, not sure if that's the nature of the beast or the slightly lower ohms, i will have another go at building 2 ohms , i think i will have to do a wrap or two more on the 32 gauge if i can get them in.
or have another go with the 33 gauge. what do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread