Russian 91% chimney does not come apart

Status
Not open for further replies.

carrielsal

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
I picked up a 91% at a B&M today. The top of the chimney does not budge when I try to remove it. I'm wondering if there was a design change.

1zdaus2.jpg

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
No... it's simply been over-tightened. The SS has galled a bit, and will require added effort to separate.
Make sure it's clean and dry, and use a couple of patterned rubber, "jar lid gripper" sheets - it will unscrew, unless you've squeezed hard enough to distorted the lower tube, then you'll need to "make it round" again. Best to leave the tube on the atty base - gives you a bit extra to hold onto.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
It doesn't budge. I even tried putting a dishrag over the top and taking a pair of needle nose pliers to it.
Sorry... I can offer lots of suggestions, but chances are you don't have the tools that I do - so it wouldn't do you much good.

Do you have a torch? If so, you can heat the tube a bit and that should help free it. Even putting on a stove will work.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
I finally got it apart. I soaked it in hot water, then had to insert the needle nose pliers inside the hole on top. I put a several folds of a paper towel between the pliers and chimney. I was so worried I would scratch it up.
Sounds like the worst you did was scuff up the ID of the top tube a bit - no issue with that, as it doesn't seal there - and smart of you to think of inserting the NN pliers into the ID.
good.gif

For future reference... a bit of food grade silicone grease (preferably), or a drop of juice - or even light cooking oil (and even Crisco) makes a fine thread and o-ring lubricant for close tolerance, finely threaded atomizers. ;-)

Cheers

FStopFive

ECF Veteran
Dec 27, 2013
Denver, CO, USA
Thank for ECF. I just got the polished Russian 91% yesterday, and have had a hell of a time trying to get the chimney off. I'll try some of what you guys suggested. I'm more glad to know that they *do* separate from one another, because christ almighty this has been a pain in the ... so far.

I have the full size Russian as well, and so far I like that one infinitely more.

Cheers for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread