RWhy4 (original recipe by tc1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbassman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
Tulsa, OK. USA
This is an old recipe I've been making for years.
The original threads are locked, or I would have used them.

tc1's original recipe is TFA ry4 double 10%, TFA caramel candy 5%, TFA Bavarian cream 5%.

I have been making this @ 8-4-4% and love it.

Anyway, I reordered flavorings from Wizard Labs and they sent a sample of Flavour Arts cocoa with my order. Intrigued at the idea of cocoa juice, I replaced the caramel candy with cocoa on my current 60ml batch.
It turned out very cocoa forward and tastes like the smell you get when you open a can of baking cocoa.

If you haven't read about RWhy4 search the forum. There has been quite a bit of experimentation with the recipe.

Thanks again tc1, if you still are active here. :)

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
This is an old recipe I've been making for years.
The original threads are locked, or I would have used them.

tc1's original recipe is TFA ry4 double 10%, TFA caramel candy 5%, TFA Bavarian cream 5%.

I have been making this @ 8-4-4% and love it.

Anyway, I reordered flavorings from Wizard Labs and they sent a sample of Flavour Arts cocoa with my order. Intrigued at the idea of cocoa juice, I replaced the caramel candy with cocoa on my current 60ml batch.
It turned out very cocoa forward and tastes like the smell you get when you open a can of baking cocoa.

If you haven't read about RWhy4 search the forum. There has been quite a bit of experimentation with the recipe.

Thanks again tc1, if you still are active here. :)
So do you think the cocoa is an improvement over the caramel candy or was it best left alone?

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Hard to say madstabber...
I have been vaping the original recipe continuously for years, but just started a new tank using cocoa.

Right now it is a nice change, but I may grow weary of it.
I have a 60ML batch that'll tell the tale. ;)
Excellent, I look forward to hearing how this mix holds up over time.

CaveFurby

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2015
Bout a year ago I was looking on here at older recipes, this took my fancy and I made it, and I remember I was genuinely surprised at how really good it was, made several bottles, just craved the stuff for awhile. Thanks for reminding me about this one.....time to make some more! I'd consider this one a classic. Might seem high percentage to new mixers used to mixing at 5% total, but this is a good, bold, full flavored RY4 and just how I like it.

Last edited:
Reactions: smacuser

xbassman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
Tulsa, OK. USA
Haha... everything old school here.
Still vaping using a Pro-Vari with an Aspire Nautilus 5ml tank.
(It’s a shame ProVape is no more. Their devices don’t wear out!)

Anyway, at 2/3rd thru my 1st tank cocoa is still delightful.
I’ll probably save the remaining cocoa I have on hand tho. About enough for another 60ml batch.

I’ve got 8oz ry4d and 4oz ea. cc & bc so that’s nearly a 3 yr supply.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
RY4's, as a recipe, never floated my boat. It was all caramel, and no tobacco. Call it a caramel recipe and be done with it... or so I thought. Then, I found @tc1's Scutch recipe (RWhy4 Reloaded), and was hooked. The nut addition just did something for it. Instead of a cloyingly sweet, in-your-face, caramel; it now contained depth. The "nut" addition, plus the expansion of the cream note (and additional butterscotch), made the difference for me. It still had no tobacco... but I was okay with that. :D

The flexibility of the recipe is (to me) a mark of its... quality?... perfection?... neither seems to fit quite right, and sound more than a bit pretentious. But, as long as one doesn't deviate too far, the recipe permits a wide range of enjoyable variation.

I have subbed toasted almond, hazelnut, pecan, and walnut; all with equal enjoyment.

Back off the caramel. Or, omit the butterscotch, and it still works. The cream note(s) are equally flexible.

As for vaping in today's hardware (vs. 2015)? Reasonably maintain the ratios; and it continues to please. Depending on the hardware; I have reduced the overall flavoring percentage 25% (for MTL setups), to 50% (for DL rigs) and it remains a winner.

Even the (small) addition of stone fruits can provide additional depth. Plum, apricot, and peach; all seem to be natural fits. Pear, and apple, have also proved enjoyable. Just remember, to use the fruit sparingly, and let the caramel and nut have center stage.

I had hopes for a cherry variation; but, sadly, no. But, I blame that on not finding a cherry concentrate I like yet. I do think it could work with other dark fruits, like fig, or even raisin.

Want more tobacco? Add it; it handles it with flare!

Want a boozy note? This is a natural for whisky or brandy.

Whatever the magic @tc1 revealed; it was the recipe, that gave me the confidence to riff on DIY. For that; I am ever grateful. Thanks TC! :thumbs:

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014
RY4's, as a recipe, never floated my boat. It was all caramel, and no tobacco. Call it a caramel recipe and be done with it... or so I thought. Then, I found @tc1's Scutch recipe (RWhy4 Reloaded), and was hooked. The nut addition just did something for it. Instead of a cloyingly sweet, in-your-face, caramel; it now contained depth. The "nut" addition, plus the expansion of the cream note (and additional butterscotch), made the difference for me. It still had no tobacco... but I was okay with that. :D

The flexibility of the recipe is (to me) a mark of its... quality?... perfection?... neither seems to fit quite right, and sound more than a bit pretentious. But, as long as one doesn't deviate too far, the recipe permits a wide range of enjoyable variation.

I have subbed toasted almond, hazelnut, pecan, and walnut; all with equal enjoyment.

Back off the caramel. Or, omit the butterscotch, and it still works. The cream note(s) are equally flexible.

As for vaping in today's hardware (vs. 2015)? Reasonably maintain the ratios; and it continues to please. Depending on the hardware; I have reduced the overall flavoring percentage 25% (for MTL setups), to 50% (for DL rigs) and it remains a winner.

Even the (small) addition of stone fruits can provide additional depth. Plum, apricot, and peach; all seem to be natural fits. Pear, and apple, have also proved enjoyable. Just remember, to use the fruit sparingly, and let the caramel and nut have center stage.

I had hopes for a cherry variation; but, sadly, no. But, I blame that on not finding a cherry concentrate I like yet. I do think it could work with other dark fruits, like fig, or even raisin.

Want more tobacco? Add it; it handles it with flare!

Want a boozy note? This is a natural for whisky or brandy.

Whatever the magic @tc1 revealed; it was the recipe, that gave me the confidence to riff on DIY. For that; I am ever grateful. Thanks TC! :thumbs:

Thanks for posting the recipe for Scutch. I just mixed up a batch.

I found a pretty good RY4 recipe that goes by the name Holy Sundae Sundae by Diketones, Schmiketones on reddit. He says he developed it for mtl devices, which is how I vape it. It's pretty tasty.

DIYFS Holy Grail RY4 - 8%

LB - Vanilla Ice Cream - 5%

TPA - Vanilla Swirl - 2.5%

FW - Butterscotch Ripple - 1.5%

I steeped it a month, but I it can probably be vaped earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread