Ry4 - I don't get it at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

DietSalem

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Indiana
I've now tried a ridiculous amount of RY4s. No, I've not had the pleasure of trying BWB's RY4 (though, how many people even have of those who want to?), but I've tried TONS. None of them are enjoyable at all. Physically painful to vape. Literally physically painful. And the flavor? Oh GOD the flavor. It tastes like someone took coffee grounds and dumped them in a bucket of boiling water, no filter nothing, just dumped em right in THEN took four month old ash tray cigarette butts and mixed them in for good measure. It's TERRIBLE. I know taste is subjective, but this is one of those "Sure, ONE person in this world may enjoy the taste of dog waste, but that doesn't mean taste is subjective!" moments.

Please, someone explain RY4 to me. Explain to me the sensation, the phenomenon, and why it's a popular vape. I don't get it. What's it SUPPOSED to even taste like? I know it's supposed to be a tobacco - but stale tobacco butts from the side of the street that have been left out in the rain HONESTLY taste better.

I'm so confused.

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
Not to overstate the obvious, but if you've tried tons of RY4s and they all make you physically sick, why even question the overwhelming evidence of your senses? No offense intended, but your post is very clear and emphatic: your palate, taste buds, nose, and even your stomach are unanimous in rejecting every RY4 you've tried. Why not just conclude that RY4 is not for you and move on to other juice flavors?

I'm the main reviewer and "custodian" of the Big RY4 Round-up thread. I've vaped and reviewed more than 70 RY4s, which gives me a certain authority on the subject of RY4.

Perhaps you could start by listing the particular RY4s you've tried. Taste is subjective, of course, but there are more than a few RY4s out there in the retail marketplace that I wouldn't give two cents for. On the other hand, if you've already tried what I consider (along with other vapers who like RY4) the cream of the crop of RY4s, then that will help us respond to your question.

Also, do you react the same way to tobacco-flavored juices in general? It might be that tobacco flavors themselves (whether synthetic or natural extracts) just don't agree with you. The same question may apply to vanilla and caramel flavored juices as well. If you don't like one or more of those as individual flavors, then you're probably not going to like them in combination.

HVAU

Verified Member
Feb 16, 2012
Huntsville
I have tried only four (Viking, Iken, EC Blend and Sofa King). I only like 2 of them and one of those is become less attractive in comparison to the other. Iken's RY4 is the only thing I vape all of the time.

The Viking and EC Blend are going to be "break in case of emergency." The Sofa King is going to be "hey remember when I first started this vaping thing."

All this to say. There are quite a few mediocre to down right bad liquids in the world. This includes RY4's. There are, however, some people who are doing right, and it is possible you haven't gotten with them yet.

jplanet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2010
NJ
I think I can relate to the original poster's bafflement at the popularity of RY4. I might be able to explain...

Dekang's original RY4 was one of the first very popular flavors when e-cigs got started, and that flavor was discontinued. So, a lot of vapers became attached to that flavor and it is what helped them get off of analogs, so there is an element of the "RY4 fascination" that is purely nostalgic. This flavor was eventually brought back in Ikenvape's RY4. I have a 20ml bottle of it if anyone wants to trade it for something I can vape. ;-)

The only ones I remotely like are the BWB (but not that crazy about it) and Highbrow (nice, but I like their other tobaccos even more, and even then it's considered very different from most other RY4's).

DietSalem

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Indiana
I guess I could work on a list of all the vendors I've tried. I mean, I've tried a LOT of RY4. As in, by now I should have found one I liked (if I liked it). I'm fully aware at this point I don't like it, but I just am curious at this point in the interest of it. Whenever I win free juice from places (which is at least once a week since I am very active on TVN) I always grab RY4 if they have it just out of pure curiosity. It's one of those things I just really want to enjoy, because so many other people do. It's just one of those things. A little bit of curiosity plus determination, ya know?

I've not tried Ikans, and I will do that soon since I need to order some more i06s anyway.

Is RY4 better at higher or lower voltages generally? I have tried 3.4, 3.7, 4, 4.5, 5, 5.5 and a little bit everywhere in between for it and it always tastes bad. Old wet soggy moldy cigarette butts, cheap stale coffee with a hint of armpit.

thall12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2010
NY
www.facebook.com
I have not tried any RY4 yet so I cannot say how it is. I will say that I do not have a sense of smell so my sense of taste is not as keen as others. I think many juices are pretty yummy and sometimes might taste the same as the other but my girlfriend can taste all sorts of subtle nuances and flavors. There are juices that I think are yummy and she can't stand them. I feel lucky in that I don't have to be so picky.

dlsw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2012
Ohio
IKV is the best RY4 that I have tried. That being said, I love RY4!! Something about the tobacco mixed with other flavors is a win for me. If you didn't like any of the others, you might not like Ikens. It just might not be a good blend for you. Oh, I vape using a V4L's XL (3.7v maybe?) and a 5v passthrough at 3 ohms and like them both. Taste is subjective and RY4 isn't for everyone.

DietSalem

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Indiana
IKV is the best RY4 that I have tried. That being said, I love RY4!! Something about the tobacco mixed with other flavors is a win for me. If you didn't like any of the others, you might not like Ikens. It just might not be a good blend for you. Oh, I vape using a V4L's XL (3.7v maybe?) and a 5v passthrough at 3 ohms and like them both. Taste is subjective and RY4 isn't for everyone.

Thing is, everything that is supposedly in there I love. I love most tobacco juices (good ones, anyway), love vanilla, love the coffee that a lot of them claim is in there, love hazelnut that many claim is in there, love it all. I just hate armpits, ashtrays and soil.

jplanet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2010
NJ
Don't think you have to like something just because others do. Just about every juice that I can't stand has a hundred positive reviews...

Given your tastes, though, i do think you would like Highbrow's RY4. Much more of a real tobacco extraction with caramel, cocoa and vanilla. He also does a variation by request that is creamy and has more vanilla. You can also ask him to customize it in any way that you like - that's one of the great things about Highbrow. You can say "easy on the caramel, heavier on the vanilla", etc...He is one of very few vendors who understand how subjective taste really is...

DietSalem

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Indiana
Don't think you have to like something just because others do. Just about every juice that I can't stand has a hundred positive reviews...

Given your tastes, though, i do think you would like Highbrow's RY4. Much more of a real tobacco extraction with caramel, cocoa and vanilla. He also does a variation by request that is creamy and has more vanilla. You can also ask him to customize it in any way that you like - that's one of the great things about Highbrow. You can say "easy on the caramel, heavier on the vanilla", etc...He is one of very few vendors who understand how subjective taste really is...

I've not tried highbrow, but they're #3 on my list of vendors to try next, and I'll add ry4 to the list. Unfortunately, my wife and I are short on cash and I'm secretly cutting back on juice intake to save up and get her her own Saber Touch (pink, of course). I'll give it a shot, though!

Zodas

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2011
columbus ohio
Only one Ive tried is NLVs Renegade RY4...and it was horrendous. Its still sitting there untouched. Very medicinal caramel tasting to me.

The thing I dont get is that about 80% of the flavors out there are tobacco + vanilla + caramel...give or take a little of each ingredient so why are people so nostalgic for RY4? There are alternatives.

jplanet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2010
NJ
Only one Ive tried is NLVs Renegade RY4...and it was horrendous. Its still sitting there untouched. Very medicinal caramel tasting to me.

The thing I dont get is that about 80% of the flavors out there are tobacco + vanilla + caramel...give or take a little of each ingredient so why are people so nostalgic for RY4? There are alternatives.

Nostalgia is exactly what it is. It's because that was the widely available flavor when many people first got into vaping. That "first one" always has a special association. Also, do not discount the importance that addiction has in this equation - there is a very strong mental connection between the senses and the satisfaction of an addiction.

If the predominant flavor in the first ecigs was peanut butter, that would be the most talked-about ejuice flavor...

Pilirock

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2011
fullerton,ca
I tried quite a few:

in order:
Halo Tribeca ( one of my faves)
FSUSA RY4 and RY5 (still vape it occassionally)
AVE rafalicious ( love this as well)
Vaperite VR4( not for me too sweet)
Lecig RY4( very generic chinese)
Dekang RY4( if this is like the original glad I started somewhere else,very generic)
Highbrow RY4 ( very unique , slowly using it)
Quicnic RY4 ( not for me)
mom and pop ry4v2 ( not for me)
Ikenvape RY4 both PG and VG( love this flavor)
NLV Renegade RY4 ( my favorite of the whole list)
Kick bass Vapor RY4 ( ok, toast caramel )
EC Blend RY4 ( not for me)
Vapor talk Dulcis ( this taste to me like some other flavor I tried, a little different but similar, it is chinese so who knows)

I think i'm missing a few but I must say that Bill's list has help me a lot to make decisions on what to try, I've also tried a lot of 555's and liked a few as well, If RY4 is not for you, try something else, I dislike a very popular flavor (Boba's bounty) that doesn't mean 10000 people are wrong it just means I DON'T LIKE IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread