Status
Not open for further replies.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi and welcome,
I try to maintain a 20% buffer/reserve of the batteries continuous rating. (via Mooch)
For example, a 20A battery would, IMO, be safer up to a load of 16A.
Voltage drop of the build/battery/device would need to be measured to determine the actual current being delivered. High Voltage drop can be caused by old batteries, loose connections, dirty contacts/threads or simply a poorly constructed device.

HTH
I

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
To identify a safe build, you need to know:
  • Ohm's law
  • The resistance of your build - and you need to be able to test it, not just calculate it
  • Your battery's CDR

A good place for all the information you need to get started is: (8) A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod | E-Cigarette Forum

As for your specific question, it depends on what you want for the buffer Izan mentioned. 20% has been mentioned, and I've also heard of others who use 50%, so I'll show you the calculations for both of those. Of course, you can always use an online calculator for this if you prefer.

Ohm's Law: V = IR
V = Voltage
I = Current
R = Resistance

Voltage is the highest voltage your battery provides, which is 4.2 v for a fully-charged 18650.

Current is the CDR of your battery.

Resistance is what we need to find out.

So...

If V = IR, then R = V/I
R = 4.2 v / 20 amps
R = 0.21 ohms

But that's without the buffer.

50% buffer:
0.21 ohms / 0.5 = 0.42 ohms

20% buffer:
0.21 ohms / 0.8 = 0.26 ohms

For a 20% safety margin, you need a coil of at least 0.26 ohms. For 50%, you'll be aiming for 0.42 ohms.

As to what your coil is now, I don't know. You've got wire, wraps and gauge, but to calculate it we'd also need to know inside diameter (ID) and whether it's a single or dual coil. And remember - never rely on calculations for your resistance. It's crucial to actually measure it to make sure nothing unintended is going on.

Good luck.

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
Hi guys,
I have a single 18650 Mod, Itaste Arachnid, With a VV Mutant RDA, and i use LG HG2 batteries and ive ordered some Vtc5a Batteries.
I wondered, what would be a considered SAFE build on LG batts (20amp) on a single batt unregulated mod. Currently im using Ni80 5 wrap 26ga.

You haven’t mentioned resistance which is a little concerning.

Know your batteries, then their limit, then you will be able to answer that question yourself.

Gray G

Jul 1, 2020
Hi,. Well ive tried various wires,. Got the mech a year back but wasnt getting the flavour that i do on my reg so havent used it in a while. I just swapped the coils out,. It a mutant rda so legs are opposite, kanth 24ga,. 7 wrap,. Around 0.3 on my calculations,. Figured thst as safe,. About 15amp on LG,. Problem im having is taste,. On my reg im using aliens,. Have for 3 years,. Best taste ive ever had,. 0.21 dual coil 5 wrap,. Obviously thats not gonna be safe really on single batt mech,. But other wires ive ive tried are,. Kanthal round,. Ss316l,. Ni80,. But on building between 0.25 and 0.3, i just cant get good flavour like the aliens. There must be a build or wire that'd hit the spot for me but at same time be safe,. Trying to avoid exotics to avoid mass and slow ramp up to,. Please can anyone recommend a wire and build that'd blow my socks off whilst being safe at same time.

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
Hi,. Well ive tried various wires,. Got the mech a year back but wasnt getting the flavour that i do on my reg so havent used it in a while. I just swapped the coils out,. It a mutant rda so legs are opposite, kanth 24ga,. 7 wrap,. Around 0.3 on my calculations,. Figured thst as safe,. About 15amp on LG,. Problem im having is taste,. On my reg im using aliens,. Have for 3 years,. Best taste ive ever had,. 0.21 dual coil 5 wrap,. Obviously thats not gonna be safe really on single batt mech,. But other wires ive ive tried are,. Kanthal round,. Ss316l,. Ni80,. But on building between 0.25 and 0.3, i just cant get good flavour like the aliens. There must be a build or wire that'd hit the spot for me but at same time be safe,. Trying to avoid exotics to avoid mass and slow ramp up to,. Please can anyone recommend a wire and build that'd blow my socks off whilst being safe at same time.

“On my calculations” - are you checking the resistance before using it?

I can’t help on the build. Cloudy is not my thing anymore I’m afraid.

• Agree
Reactions: Gray G

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand

Your 0.21 alien coil build will pull 20A. Not safe with your 20a LG hg2's. But with your Sony vtc5a, which are rated a 25A battery by Mooch - a good option for this resistance.

Ben85

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 16, 2014
    Kent, UK
    I have no way to check im just reliant on the online calc,. Battery drain cslc and coil calc

Then you don’t have the equipment you need in order to safely use a mech. Until you can measure resistance, I’d put the mech away if I were you. Pick one up cheap, they don’t cost much and might save your face.

Gray G

Jul 1, 2020
    Im going to experiment with some builds today, i have a fully mech squonk too, so i can use both until i can find a build thats for me. Will try normal round builds, 2.5mm coils, dual coil builds, aiming for around 0.35ohlm. i know thatll be safe on my batts, im just having this relentless struggle to find a build with good flavour, ive been vaping so long at around 0.21, that when i up above 0.3, its like vaping fresh air, depressing, pointless, im starting to think the only way forward is either stick to my reg or try and find a dual battery mech, Unfortunatley, i dont have much money to spare since being furloughed, unless anyone knows of some great dual battery mods at good prices.

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 28, 2014
    im just having this relentless struggle to find a build with good flavour,

Try SSS316L say 26 gauge at around 0.40 using 3 mm ID. I'm thinking it's five wraps but not exactly sure. I tried aiming at .35 and wound up hitting .55 recently. Yep, I followed Steam Engine and checked my wraps, not sure why I was so off. Possibly humidity, barometric here presently. Here being WV.

Gray G

Jul 1, 2020
    Try SSS316L say 26 gauge at around 0.40 using 3 mm ID. I'm thinking it's five wraps but not exactly sure. I tried aiming at .35 and wound up hitting .55 recently. Yep, I followed Steam Engine and checked my wraps, not sure why I was so off. Possibly humidity, barometric here presently. Here being WV.
    Thanks ill give it a shot, resist changes on ss, im aware if that but its gonna be safe as resistence goes up when fired,. Ill try for around 0.4

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 28, 2014
    im aware if that but its gonna be safe as resistence goes up when fired,

As long as it doesn't jump some twenty odd points either way when fired, correct. :)

I somehow managed 7 wraps with SS getting me a 1 ohm coil, recently. Talk about feeling out of sorts. Not that I particularly noted any great difference, well maybe all of a second to "ramp up". As if I'd be so concerned. *chuckles*

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread