Same carts, different draws...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProfBrad12

Verified Member
Hey everyone. I'm new here, vaping about six weeks.

I currently use all KR-808-D1 standard sized batteries (2 V4L, 2 Cigotine, 1 MyVaporStore) and have been using -- and refilling -- V4L cartomizers exclusively. However, despite everything being standard issue stuff, some of the cartos have a very "airy" draw with little vapor, while others produce amazing vapor.

At first, I thought it was the liquid or a bad refill, but now I'm thinking the cartos might not be fitting properly. I realize these things are made in China by the lowest bidder, but I'm amazed at how differently these things work, even out of the same box.

Has anyone else experienced this?

CBB

ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2011
Pennsylvania
You hit the nail on the head, QC isn't the best, the vendors try to get the best quality they can by requesting specific specs, but the more specific the more expensive the product so there has to be a happy medium. Carto draw also stiffens over time as the materials clog with residue of vaped juices. Darker and thicker juices plug up an atomizer faster than clearer, thinner juices.

tiboute

Jun 25, 2011
Quebec, Canada
My first e-cig was a super mini from epuffer.
I must say i wish i had found this forum before i bought it.
i was very disapointed to see i had the same problem as you
i tried everything, change the atomizer, change the cartridges, change the battery....
i never got the same amount of vapor, or flavor or throat hit...
Then i just got tired of it an d stoped using it for the last week. i ordered an eGo-t and it should arrive in a couple days.
Dont want to expect too much like i did with my first e-cig and then be disapointed but im sure the ego-t will be perfect for me.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
KR8 cartos should have a valley cut across the center post of the threaded end to aid airflow.

Juice PG/VG and clarity can have a big effect on how well any stuffing-type carto works. I find anything higher than 20% VG definitely causes my carto stuffing to clog faster and cause bad wicking and bad draw. Similarly, I find many dark juices and some lighter ones leave flavoring sediment behind in the stuffing, blocking up the stuffing and causing bad wicking/draw. I can get good easy-drawing life out of a carto if I stick to very thin clear juices.

ProfBrad12

Verified Member
Thanks for the replies. The cartos all look identical on the threaded end, but I think it's simply a matter of poor production. I cleaned off the connection ends of both the cartos and the batteries, and it helped a bit, as did the old finger over the air hole trick. Ultimately, I toss this up to a simple poor fit.

For the record, I'm using V4L's Wowboy 11mg juice (it's not dark or thick, but it's not exactly light, either). I have some DeKang juices and new cartos coming from Heaven-Gifts and SmokelessImage in the next few days as well.

I'm thrilled to be off analogs, but this new hobby is overwhelming. Mods, tricks, tips, spins, shortcuts, long drags, and about 983 different vendors claiming to be "the best" have all made this confusing, to say the least.

symphynity

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2011
Australia
I have found that " Clearomisers" work best for me .

I can see when they are getting low on juice , I can pull them apart , clean and reassemble them , and they work as good as new.

To put it into perspective , my " traditional" cartos would last me a day , day and a half tops. Then massive battery drain , bugger all vapour , not happy !!

I have been pounding 5 new clearomisers for the past ten days and only 1 has failed ( clumsy during re-assembly , I tore a wire off the post ) .

Every 3 days , I soak them in PGA , dry them off , re- assemble and off I go for the next 3 days !!!

Doesnt seem to matter what juice I use , 100% VG doesnt seem to phase them .... , just lots and lots of lovely vapour !!

ProfBrad12

Verified Member
I've been dying to get clearos since I started reading this forum, but just as I'm about to hit that dreaded "complete purchase" button, I find another post telling me not to bother with them for myriad reasons. They break. They leak. They clog. They destroy auto batteries. They're too hard to refill and clean. Etc. etc. etc.

I love the idea of clearomizers, but am not sure I want to turn my house into a chemistry lab every 3 days refilling and dismantling fragile plastic tubes.

Your thoughts and hate mail are appreciated.

Joe_Atlanta

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2011
Stone Mountain, Georgia
I'm thrilled to be off analogs, but this new hobby is overwhelming. Mods, tricks, tips, spins, shortcuts, long drags, and about 983 different vendors claiming to be "the best" have all made this confusing, to say the least.
AMEN Brother!! However, with the help of these good folks we will find our way through the woods.

BTW, I keep a few tooth picks, pipe cleaners, vodka and paper clips around to do a little home QC on my cartos. Sometimes just a little straightening of the central tube or pushing the filler down a bit will do the job. Others take more drastic measures and I have killed a half dozen cartos trying to "fix" them. I've seen factory fresh carts with the central tube so bent that wouldn't it even allow the first puff.

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
I've been dying to get clearos since I started reading this forum, but just as I'm about to hit that dreaded "complete purchase" button, I find another post telling me not to bother with them for myriad reasons. They break. They leak. They clog. They destroy auto batteries. They're too hard to refill and clean. Etc. etc. etc.

I love the idea of clearomizers, but am not sure I want to turn my house into a chemistry lab every 3 days refilling and dismantling fragile plastic tubes.

Your thoughts and hate mail are appreciated.

Here is my take on the CE2.
I love it for some flavors/liquids! Nothing else on the planet vapes like them.
Flavor is usually superb with these, but throat hit can be a little weaker than other carto/atty types (highly flavor and nic content dependent of course). They are very good on battery life, as it only takes short puffs to get mounds of vape out of one. They are moderately efficient on juice consumption in that very little is wasted, and it doesn't burn through it super fast...about the same as dripping on a similar resistance 510 atty I'd guess.

I love the metal ones myself if dealing with the latest revisions (Rev 5, 6, or later will have fat wicks, cut back black-seal/jacket, and thicker sleeves on the clearos) and use them right out of the box with zero modding. They last forever with much abuse. They are best suited for people who like a very open airy draw and prefer 'short/quick/hot' puffs no longer than 4 seconds all the way into the lungs right off the battery. If you like longer/slower draws with lots of nose and mouth stuff going on in your draw style, go for the cooler (higher resistance) CE2 as some folks report the LR ones get too hot for them and scorch the flavor when chain vaping with longer draws. If you like the short hot puffs, go for the lowest resistance you can find. Definately use your own drip tip on these....the little plugs that come with it are ok, but I think a nice open drip tip is less prone to gurgling. A good habit to remove gurgling with any carto type, is to let the button off a second or two before your drag is done...that sucks out all the vape so it doesn't condensate in the carto and lead to gurgling.

Note, the folks that tend to 'hate' the way a CE2 vapes and claim they taste like 'burnt tires' try to chain vape them at high voltages well in excess of 5v (Really high temperatures) and the wicks just can't keep up. This is not a problem for most folks...and definitely not an issue for stock eGo/Riva batteries.

Clearos...you'll get a few days out of them without problems, so they are not a rip off or anything; however, they can make a mess when they decide to crack/break. You can mod them with your own sleeves (cut down BD 3ml syringes) Not nearly as pocket friendly as the metal ones. Never put a highly acidic liquid in a clearo...I.E. Tasty Vapor Atomic Cinnamon...it'll eat that clear plastic to bits. The plus side is they do come apart and go back together really easily for cleaning or modding them.

All CE2 variants out of the box require a needle tip syringe or bottle to fill. Fast and no mess, but be aware it takes a tool. In terms of time and motion studies...you can fill a handfull of these with a syringe or needle tip bottle faster and easier than any other carto except maybe the Vortex/G4/G5. Many people just can't get past the stigma of needing a tool of any type.

Ages ago I would get the clear ones and go through a ritual of taking them apart to change flavors or try to make them last forever. More recently I've discovered a neat trick. I get the metal ones (or a Giantomizer for some flavors)...and every few days I'll just drip a few drops of Atomic Cinnamon @ 100% PG right on the coils and give it several long burns without drawing air through it. Finally I just shoot a bit of water over the coils with my syringe and it washes the gunk right off!!! I don't even have to empty the tanks to do this. That TV AC flavor has alot of frolic acid in it, and is great at breaking the build up off of atomizer coils/wicks :) It didn't take me long to realize these are so inexpensive to operate, that I just use one for a single flavor till it dies or I stop using that flavor...which ever comes first...chunk it, and break out a new one.

The things only cost pennies per day to operate...

Honestly...vaping gear is alot like food. Not everyone likes the same stuff cooked the same way. The only way to know is to try things. While people who hate the CE2 TRULY HATE them...there are tens of thousands of folks who find them to be their preferred vape. Do check out the swap and PIF threads if you'd like to try new things without breaking the bank :) Got a box of something you didn't like much? Swap the unused portions for portions of something else to try out :)

Last edited:

jweavers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 11, 2011
Panama City Florida
I actually did burn out a battery with a clearomizer just last week,but,I am a newbie and it was all my fault.I tried to refill while the clearomizer was on the battery and the needle just happened to nudge the silicone ring at the bottom and woops,juice everywhere including into my automatic battery-dead,dead,dead,so sad. That being said,I think they are a good investment and if used correctly can last awhile.I'm due to clean some now but I take them completely apart to do that and sometimes have a hard time getting the ring on top right where it needs to go.I just am all thumbs I guess!
I agree all the different things that are new when getting started is a little overwhelming.I sometimes feel the same way as I am only a month into vaping and not smoking.Like getting the equipment and trying to get the juices or get ahead with the juices so you have some steeping and some coming in.This is also the only forum I have posted to and I have always gotten really good advice from the folks here on ECF.Nothing too small or too large for these guys to handle,and God bless them they answer the same questions over and over again!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread