SAMSUNG 18650 - Label warns not for vaping!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's only in the last few years that big brands like Samsung started printing "not for ecig" "not for vape" on their batteries. I have some older batches of Samsunsung batteries such as the 25R which don't have this printed on them and from what I've read I'd assume they are exactly the same as the new 25R batteries with the warning printed on them.

One thing to keep in mind is that the quality brands such as Samsung, Sony (Murata), Sanyo/Panasonic, LG and Tesla is that I don't believe they are designed to be sold and used individually. The datasheets seem to suggest they are designed to be build into battery packs. I'm not saying that you shouldn't use single batteries for use in applications like torches, e-cigs, ect. Keep in mind these three safety aspecs of a battery pack that is premade for application, 1 - The manufacturer has (hopefully) selected the battery which had enough max current drain specifications that the battery won't get too hot. 2 - A manufactured battery pack (usually) has sufficient physical protection to prevent contact with metal items and shorting. 3 - The manufacturer (usually) builds the correct electronic safety features needed for example a protective circuit to protect agains overcharge, undercharge and short circuit and for batteries in series a balancing board or BMS.

To select the right battery in regards to max current draw I follow Mooch's Reccomended Battery sheet and match the correct battery for the max continuous current drain of your device.

The plastic wrap of a battery is rather thin and if it tears off and the insulator ring too, there is only a small gap between positive and negative on the top. Even sliding a battery into an e-cig mod can cause it to short if the top of the plastic wrap gets torn. I always have a roll of 18650 clear protective heatshrink wrap and wrap each battery with one extra layer to prevent shorting and replace the wrap if any tears happen.

The issue of protective circuits and balancing circuits is a thing of the past in the vaping world these days. Every quality mod has built in protective circuit and for series battery mods should have an adequite balancing BMS. It was really only in the old days when people where messing with unregulated mods that had no protecive circuits that short circuits where a very real risk.

It's usually more common in torches when using a lithium battery that you'll find it often has no inbuilt protective circuit. In this case then yes it's always reccomended to buy a battery that has the protective circuit spot welded to the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread