Saved money!?!? yeah right!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim Batz

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
I must have some sort of defect in my dna, started out with a KR808D-1 starter kit (2x280mah slim bats) and Kanger SR Horizontal Coil cartos ... I liked it right off and I still like it ... picked up a couple extra slim bats on my carto re-order for under $20 ... so I now have 1120mah of power at my disposal ... just in smaller bits ... got a car charger and a usb passthru (I work at a computer all day long) and I'm pretty much set. Guess I got into this to quit smoking and its working and thats that. Still trying new flavors of e-liquid but haven't come across one yet that I totally hated so no waste there ... I look at all the pretty shiny gizmo's and say "thats cool" ... but it never goes any farther.

Smokes in Canada are super expensive so I am saving tons of dough ...

Striker911

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
Mountain Home, AR
I wonder how many days of work I haven't missed because of that cold I didn't get or that wasn't nearly as bad as it would have been if I was smoking? I wonder how many doctor visits I will miss the rest of my life because I'm not smoking? I wonder what my co-pay is on chest x-rays?...

My point is probably obvious: I think there's more financial savings involved that meets the eye.

LOL no job for over 3 years and no insurance since god knows when. Anymore questions? Think I had insurance to see a dr maybe a total of 2 years in my entire 31 years. Life is tough for poor people.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
LOL no job for over 3 years and no insurance since god knows when. Anymore questions? Think I had insurance to see a dr maybe a total of 2 years in my entire 31 years. Life is tough for poor people.

Then avoiding tobacco is even that much more important and any tobacco related illness would be that much more devastating. -- Broke and poor are two different things. I've been broke a few times and even for long periods of time. I've seen poor. Those memories haunt me. But, tobacco was the least of those folks concerns so I'll forgo the details.

Sheepy

Nov 29, 2011
Switzerland
The potential to save with vaping also seems to depend very much on local cigarette prices... I really bought a lot of stuff in my first eight months of vaping (and probably have enough juice lying around for the next two years), but as cigs are taxed so heavily around here, I still saved quite a bit :). It doesn't even matter whether I DIY juice or buy production liquid, as both cost a small fraction of a corresponding number of cigarettes. Seeing from the signatures of some of you guys, I would be big time in the negatives if cigarettes were available that cheap, though...

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
I am a lame vaper. What I bought worked for me. I only bought an E-Power because it seemed like a good idea at the time, but it really wasn't a big improvement over my eGo stuff. I recently bought a vv box and... for hardware that's pretty much been it since last year. I'm vaping, not smoking at all, and have saved nearly a grand switching to e-cigs since April last year. That's what I used to spend on butts, less what I actually did spend on vaping. It's still nearly 1k to date.

I do wonder how much of it has to do with a person's patience level. See a lot of posts where someone gets frustrated with "hardware x" in five minutes and is already on the board, looking for suggestions on what to buy next.

sebt

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2012
Budapest, Hungary
I must have some sort of defect in my DNA ... I look at all the pretty shiny gizmo's and say "thats cool" ... but it never goes any farther.

Me too. So far...

Reading the posts in this thread, I'm thinking I must be a seriously light vaper! I got 4 10ml bottles with my starter kit, bought 5 more - and at the rate I'm vaping, they'll last me another 3 weeks or so.

Set up an Excel sheet to work out how much I'm saving!
[Can you guess that I'm an IT consultant who's done too much time in the past trying to live on unemployment benefits? ;) Or maybe I've lived in Scotland for so long I've taken up the supposed No.1 Scottish trait... :)]

At this rate I'll break even by the end of the month! And that's buying liquid in expensive 10ml amounts (because I don't know what I like yet), and including the purchase of a silly but fun gooseneck for the PV. And my savings are relative to my previous rolling habit, probably the cheapest way to smoke analogs.

Cigarettes/tobacco are ridiculously expensive here in the UK, mind you: that makes it easy for vaping to be cheaper.

Even if I do get tempted and splash out on some more gear/expensive juice - well, I'm a musician, I'm used to good things not breaking even... :p

Conclusion: fight the tax on vaping equipment! Nice to see the Hawaiians put up an enormous fight the other day.

Happy vaping :vapor:

Last edited:

carpedebass

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2011
The Alamo City
After a few months of trying this or that...figuring out what worked for me, I ended up with a Sabre Touch, a VV box mod from MV, and an Acorn tank from Parkes vaping. I DIY my own juice, so my monthly cost now is about $20. $20 won't even buy 5 days worth of analogs, so I'd say it's saving me a LOT of money.

Semiretired

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Georgia
After a few months of trying this or that...figuring out what worked for me, I ended up with a Sabre Touch, a VV box mod from MV, and an Acorn tank from Parkes vaping. I DIY my own juice, so my monthly cost now is about $20. $20 won't even buy 5 days worth of analogs, so I'd say it's saving me a LOT of money.

Same here - about $20 a month, which was less than one weeks of analogs. I have been happy with my initial PV (JoyeTech Ego). Now that it is 4 months old I have been thinking about needing a backup since I have gotten caught a few times without a charged battery until I got a system down to keeping them up and running. I am looking for something with interchangeable batts, but not sure if I want to vape from a box or not. Been looking at the new Joye 18650 mod - it would last me at least 2 if not 3 days on a single charge and with one backup battery I would be good for a week at a time and save my current smaller batts for public use due to the size of the 18650 batts... Gotta make up my mind soon - box or large tube - box or large tube ........... arrrrgggggghhhh decisions, decisions, decisions...

Hey Carp, where have you been. You changed your avatar again...

missbipbip

Unregistered Supplier
Jan 29, 2010
Wilmington, NC USA
www.vapehut.com
There are different kinds of vapers. I think how much money you save depends on what type you are. People here on the forum are generally hobbyists and e-cig collectors; that's why we spend our time sitting on a forum reading about e-cigs. We enjoy them. We also tend to spend a lot more money on them. We want every new gadget that comes out. We'll spend gobs of money on a new mod and a bunch of flavors we're not even sure we will like. However, many vapers are doing it simply to replace cigs and are hoping to quit everything. They don't shop online, and they don't read about vaping. They simply know what is working for them, and they stick to it. They buy only the amount of liquid they need, and they replace parts when they need them. If they are buying quailty products, they don't have to replace them very often. Those folks are saving money...lots of it. :) Unfortunately, I am not one of those people.

carpedebass

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2011
The Alamo City
Same here - about $20 a month, which was less than one weeks of analogs. I have been happy with my initial PV (JoyeTech Ego). Now that it is 4 months old I have been thinking about needing a backup since I have gotten caught a few times without a charged battery until I got a system down to keeping them up and running. I am looking for something with interchangeable batts, but not sure if I want to vape from a box or not. Been looking at the new Joye 18650 mod - it would last me at least 2 if not 3 days on a single charge and with one backup battery I would be good for a week at a time and save my current smaller batts for public use due to the size of the 18650 batts... Gotta make up my mind soon - box or large tube - box or large tube ........... arrrrgggggghhhh decisions, decisions, decisions...
Hey Carp, where have you been. You changed your avatar again...

Hey Semi. Been living the mobile lifestyle...busy, busy, busy.

If you're looking to get into a mod, you sure can't go wrong with a Shine or Diamond from Parkes Vaping. Both take an 18650 for 3.7 volt op, or you can experiment with the RCR batts for 6 volt. For less than $30 shipped, you can't do better.

Jim Bob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2011
Kentucky
It is all relative, in my case for example I live where cigarettes are not nearly as expensive as most places which could be "good" BUT I smoked 2-3 packs per day even @ $5.50 per pack well let's just say it adds up fast..!!!

BUT you can't only count what you spent on smoking itself, you must remember , lighters, ash trays, extra perfume/cologne , air fresheners , extra mouthwash/toothpaste , new clothes to replace those with holes burned in them, new furniture (same reason) etc. just for "starters"........when you look at the future the "down the road savings" smoking costs will continue to rise and THEN there are the high medical costs= it's not a big secret what smoking does to our health , increased medical bills we'd have (they are also not going to decline in costs and it's expensive NOW to treat COPD, cancer, amputations made necessary from ONLY smoking being the cause etc. ) how about RX drug savings ? We have members who have reduced or had their doctors even remove BP medications etc. I don't know what "ED" meds cost now or in the future but I'm guessing those savings are quite high as well :vapor:

What price can WE put on breathing better and just feeling MUCH better overall NOW ? How about 10-20 years from now, instead of oxygen tanks we can carry grandchildren around with us like a famous commercial that is PRICELESS! :toast:

Just my :2c:

Coil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2011
SO. CAL
You always spend a lot of money at first on a new hobby. :D

I want to spend $100 everytime I look at all my bookmarked vape pages but I can't afford to...

I never looked at analogs on the internet searching for new "filter covers" or "tye Dye" camel stinkies.:laugh:

Screw the $ i feel good and my clothes don't stink like all my buddy's grandpa's houses anymore!

Vaping about 8 months and I save major money in the long run. When i smoked I just wanted to buy more beer. When i drank beer i just wanted to smoke more. That alone has saved me Boo-Koo bucks...

Uncle Willie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2011
Meet Me in St Louie Louie
I guess I don't see an e-cig as a hobby .. I see it as a better alternative to smoking analogs for folks that can't quit any other way .. I don't see it as the perfect alternative, since quiting any and all inhaled material is certainly the best path .. after all, the jury is still out on the long term / .. smoking analogs was not a hobby for me either .. it was an addiction .. and I'm likely as addicted to my e-cig nic as I was analogs ..

Striker911

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
Mountain Home, AR
Have you calculated the co-pays and lost wages on getting lung cancer or medications and inhailers for other lung conditions? I think life is the ultimate value.

Im not 100% convinced that this is so good for me to be honest. I see liquid nicotine in my lungs. I still cough up brown chunks. Not as much but I still do. Maybe could be healing going on. I know I can rock the wife like Im 25 again so I dig that. I think its awesome that I finally got away from smoking. Thats been said but really that would be the best justification no matter how much it cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread