Status
Not open for further replies.

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
No harm in it whatsoever. I still have some of the 30 ml plastic dropper bottles that I got 3 years ago when I started. I DIY into them now. PG, and to a lesser extent VG, are anti-microbial so no real contamination issues. If you have trouble getting the leftover flavor out of one, stick it in the freezer for a few hours then re-wash.

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
TY both. I want to try my hand at DIY but really do have limited startup cash so I was thinking this would be one place I could save a tiny bit in the beginning. :)

DIY is easy when you have limited start up funds. To this day all I use is a 12 ml syringe, a stainless steel condiment cup that I got for a dollar at Wal-Mart and those 30 ml leftover bottles I mentioned, plus a few 10 & 5 mls for experiments. I buy my nic base and other ingredients from Wizard Labs; small amounts of flavors from them are actually a bit cheaper than from the source. For larger flavor amounts I order directly from the source, Perfumer's/Flavor Apprentice. For any bottle that I can't get a syringe into (I use them without the needle) like the flavoring, I pour it into the condiment cup and pull up the amount I need from there, then pour the rest back. For syringes though, make sure you're getting the etched ones, not the ones with the inked markings. I started with an inked syringe and the nic base tends to fade the markings quickly. I purchased my current syringe plus a few extras at a veterinary supply. My mix space is in the kitchen on a tray to prevent any spills and covered with a double ply of paper towels to soak up any drips. Easy.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
DIY is easy when you have limited start up funds. To this day all I use is a 12 ml syringe, a stainless steel condiment cup that I got for a dollar at Wal-Mart and those 30 ml leftover bottles I mentioned, plus a few 10 & 5 mls for experiments. I buy my nic base and other ingredients from Wizard Labs; small amounts of flavors from them are actually a bit cheaper than from the source. For larger flavor amounts I order directly from the source, Perfumer's/Flavor Apprentice. For any bottle that I can't get a syringe into (I use them without the needle) like the flavoring, I pour it into the condiment cup and pull up the amount I need from there, then pour the rest back. For syringes though, make sure you're getting the etched ones, not the ones with the inked markings. I started with an inked syringe and the nic base tends to fade the markings quickly. I purchased my current syringe plus a few extras at a veterinary supply. My mix space is in the kitchen on a tray to prevent any spills and covered with a double ply of paper towels to soak up any drips. Easy.

good advice on the etched syringes. i hadnt realized that was an issue but as soon as i did, i put a layer of strong scotch tape over the markings and its been working out great.
--------
to remove odors from bottles, you can make a mixture of 4 tbsp baking soda + 1 quart warm water. fill the bottles and let sit overnight. then rinse with warm soapy water.

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
good advice on the etched syringes. i hadnt realized that was an issue but as soon as i did, i put a layer of strong scotch tape over the markings and its been working out great.
--------
to remove odors from bottles, you can make a mixture of 4 tbsp baking soda + 1 quart warm water. fill the bottles and let sit overnight. then rinse with warm soapy water.

Lol I was much too late for scotch tape, seeing as learning to mix, for me at least, was a messy business. :D In fact, that brings another tip to mind; warm your vegetable glycerin, either in the syringe under running hot water or by placing the bottle in hot water before you need to mix it, and push all your ingredients into the bottle sloooowly. I don't know how many times in the beginning that I ended up with liquid all over the place because I was being impatient and rushed the plunger! :lol:

Good add on the baking soda mixture, had forgotten about that one.

Kemosabe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Roe Dylin
great VG tip. that was a challenge for me when i first started. your slow plunger tip reminds me of a tip for the OP.

pull your plunger up slowly (with any ingredients) for no air bubbles. for me, its hard to get an accurate read unless there is zero air in between the plunger and liquid while drawing up from the bottle.

weisner

ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2012
Costa Mesa, CA
No harm in it whatsoever. I still have some of the 30 ml plastic dropper bottles that I got 3 years ago when I started. I DIY into them now. PG, and to a lesser extent VG, are anti-microbial so no real contamination issues. If you have trouble getting the leftover flavor out of one, stick it in the freezer for a few hours then re-wash.

Good tip, I assume that is because the plastic constricts forcing the remnants of flavor out of the material. If I am wrong on this I will be happy to be corrected.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
If anyone that can detect, after a good clean & rinse, an ol' flav in a new one, they should be the POTUS food tester!!!
shock.gif

Da same goes for flavoring syringes!

drobbyb

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2010
South Carolina
For syringes though, make sure you're getting the etched ones, not the ones with the inked markings. I started with an inked syringe and the nic base tends to fade the markings quickly. I purchased my current syringe plus a few extras at a veterinary supply.

For the inked syringes, just put some clear packing tape over the graduations and they last a long time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread