Scaredy-cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtbje

Jan 2, 2019
Texas Hill Country
I had a disaster happen. And then I bought a thing. And then I almost broke it. And now I’m terrified.

Ok so I was using the Smok Novo and it bit the dust while I was out of town the past few days.

I was in Austin and didn’t smoke all weekend! When the Novo died I went to the nearest vape shop and bought an Innokin AMVS stick mod. It came with mesh coils.

The girl at the shop was super nice and gave me some free juice, a Why So Cereal something or other.

I had been using nic salts in the Novo and brought them with me. I asked her if I could put the salts into this new thing and she said no because of the mesh coils.

So I went back to the hotel and did it anyway. And the thing started putting off massive amounts of vapor and had a really burnt taste and was hot. Like really hot.

So I didn’t mess with it again until I got home tonight and I took it all apart and cleaned it and put a new mesh coil in and primed it and now...

I’m terrified it’s going to burn me. Like maybe I didn’t put it together right and I’m going to suck up a huge mouthful of scalding hot ejuice.

It’s making a gurgling sound that sounds normal and it is popping a bit although I don’t have the courage to take a real hit off of it because I’m scared. The airflow is open halfway and the tank is a little under 3/4ths full.

What do you guys think? Will I be safe? How do I know for certain that it won’t flood my mouth with hot lava?

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
For certain? Who knows. Likely? Extremely unlikely to occur. I don't know the coils you're using, but if it blew big clouds like that a nic salt might be too strong. Impossible to know without the nic concentration of the salt and your regular along with the PG/VG ratios.

As long as you screwed it all together properly and primed the coil and key it sit a while to be sure the cotton is saturated there's no particular reason Krakatoa will erupt into your mouth

jtbje

Jan 2, 2019
Texas Hill Country
For certain? Who knows. Likely? Extremely unlikely to occur. I don't know the coils you're using, but if it blew big clouds like that a nic salt might be too strong. Impossible to know without the nic concentration of the salt and your regular along with the PG/VG ratios.

As long as you screwed it all together properly and primed the coil and key it sit a while to be sure the cotton is saturated there's no particular reason Krakatoa will erupt into your mouth
Thank you Eskie! These are scion plexus mesh coils, and I think they are .25. I thought you could vape any liquid with any coils, but the salts make the thing smoke like a chimney and extremely hot. Also I’m not really sure if I put it all together right, I’m going to go to a vape shop today and ask them to look at it. I appreciate your help!

Reactions: Eskie

jtbje

Jan 2, 2019
Texas Hill Country

Oh and the nic salt was 35 mg and I’m not sure of the VG/PG ratio, I think it was 70/30 but I’d have to look.

Jwaterski

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2013
OKC, OK
It's the nic content of the salts you have that really determine if you can, or can't, use them in your new tank/mod setup. The real issue is the nic content is way high for your new sub ohm setup. I think the innokin amvs is also a DTL device, you are going to have to adjust your draw with it. Pretty sure the smok was a MTL.
Too bad about the smok going out so quick. Find something that works and buy backups, and backups for you backups. The smok was working, maybe find something similar. Or even risk their quality reputation and buy a couple more smok's. they are not that expensive and they were working for you.

jtbje

Jan 2, 2019
Texas Hill Country
It's the nic content of the salts you have that really determine if you can, or can't, use them in your new tank/mod setup. The real issue is the nic content is way high for your new sub ohm setup. I think the innokin amvs is also a DTL device, you are going to have to adjust your draw with it. Pretty sure the smok was a MTL.
Too bad about the smok going out so quick. Find something that works and buy backups, and backups for you backups. The smok was working, maybe find something similar. Or even risk their quality reputation and buy a couple more smok's. they are not that expensive and they were working for you.
That’s what I was thinking too. I don’t think I like this one I just bought, wayyyy to much vapor and too hot!! I’m going to take it in today to make sure it’s not just user error, and I’ll probably go ahead and get another Novo while I’m there. That one I actually really like! I have a Uwell Whirl coming tomorrow in the mail that I had ordered before my trip, so maybe that one will be better. I did zero research before buying the Innokin and didn’t realize it was DTL. Now I know!!

Bolivar

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2014
Surrounded by cows and wheat
Try turning your wattage down. I got my first DL mod a few months ago. 50-80 watts was suggested for the coil I was using. 50 watts was way too hot for me, but I could fog up the entire man cave with it! I backed it off to 35 and it was much more pleasant to use, and not so cloudy.

I don’t see how people do such high wattage. Too hot for me!

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
That’s what I was thinking too. I don’t think I like this one I just bought, wayyyy to much vapor and too hot!! I’m going to take it in today to make sure it’s not just user error, and I’ll probably go ahead and get another Novo while I’m there. That one I actually really like! I have a Uwell Whirl coming tomorrow in the mail that I had ordered before my trip, so maybe that one will be better. I did zero research before buying the Innokin and didn’t realize it was DTL. Now I know!!

Say the Light Bulb in your nightstand lamp burns out. So you buy a 150W Light bulb and put it in. Yikes... That is way too bright. Maybe for once and awhile. But not for All the time. So you go back to the store and buy a 40W Bulb. But that's seems way too dim.

This Sucks! I don't want to have to keep buying a Bunch of Light Bulbs in different Wattages to find what I like. Or have to Change Light Bulbs when I want to more or less light.

Then it Hits you... What if I had a Dimmer Switch on the Lamp? I could put the 150W Bulb in the Lamp and use the Dimmer Switch to adjust the Brightness to just for what I want.

Maybe More Light for when I'm looking for the TV Remote. And Less light when listening to Jazz when the Kids are asleep.

That's Kinda what a Variable Wattage (VW) Mod is to me. That Dimmer Switch on Lamp.

With something like that AMVS Mod, you Can't change the Wattage. So if the Hit you get is Mauna Loa Volcanically Hot, all you can do is Buy a Different Coil-Head to put in your Tank. And pretty soon you have a whole drawer full of Coil-Heads that you don't like. And that Aren't Interchangeable with any of your other Tanks.

My advise is to stick with a (VW) Mod for now. And to use the Tanks/RTA's you have on it.

That way you can Adjust the Hit you get for a given e-Liquid paired with a given Tank or RTA.

jtbje

Jan 2, 2019
Texas Hill Country
Say the Light Bulb in your nightstand lamp burns out. So you buy a 150W Light bulb and put it in. Yikes... That is way too bright. Maybe for once and awhile. But not for All the time. So you go back to the store and buy a 40W Bulb. But that's seems way too dim.

This Sucks! I don't want to have to keep buying a Bunch of Light Bulbs in different Wattages to find what I like. Or have to Change Light Bulbs when I want to more or less light.

Then it Hits you... What if I had a Dimmer Switch on the Lamp? I could put the 150W Bulb in the Lamp and use the Dimmer Switch to adjust the Brightness to just for what I want.

Maybe More Light for when I'm looking for the TV Remote. And Less light when listening to Jazz when the Kids are asleep.

That's Kinda what a Variable Wattage (VW) Mod is to me. That Dimmer Switch on Lamp.

With something like that AMVS Mod, you Can't change the Wattage. So if the Hit you get is Mauna Loa Volcanically Hot, all you can do is Buy a Different Coil-Head to put in your Tank. And pretty soon you have a whole drawer full of Coil-Heads that you don't like. And that Aren't Interchangeable with any of your other Tanks.

My advise is to stick with a (VW) Mod for now. And to use the Tanks/RTA's you have on it.

That way you can Adjust the Hit you get for a given e-Liquid paired with a given Tank or RTA.
Really good analogy. I feel incredibly intimidated by the box mods with all the gadgets and buttons. I tried to make a Kanger one work but when I started having issues, I mean there’s a LOT of variables. This experience with this new stick mod really exemplifies why it’s good to have choices and the capability to make adjustments though. I’m learning!!! And not smoking!!! So I still say it’s a success! Overall having you guys to ask about things really makes all the difference. Without that I would have given up a while ago.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Hello jtbje, I've done some research on your Innokin AMVS and discovered that it's a fixed wattage mod. So unfortunately you can't adjust the wattage.

So it seems as though it will give you more vapour than you like and are accustomed to, and you would certainly need to dilute your nicotine salt liquid down to a more palatable level with that mod.

Have you ever heard of or considered TCR vaping with a mod?

It's where use a mod to control the temperature of your vape. I don't know if you have any good vape stores that could allow you to try a mod which can do TCR near you.

Reactions: greek mule

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Really good analogy. I feel incredibly intimidated by the box mods with all the gadgets and buttons. I tried to make a Kanger one work but when I started having issues, I mean there’s a LOT of variables. This experience with this new stick mod really exemplifies why it’s good to have choices and the capability to make adjustments though. I’m learning!!! And not smoking!!! So I still say it’s a success! Overall having you guys to ask about things really makes all the difference. Without that I would have given up a while ago.

I'm a Guy.

So I have a Genetic Predisposition towards anything with Buttons or Blinking Lights or is Needlessly Complex. Jeeze... Give me something with about 3 Dozen possible settings and Cables and supporting Software with Tabs and Check Boxes and I'm in Heaven.

But when it comes to an e-Cigarette, I just want to push the Power Button and have Vapor come out of the end. And if it Isn't enough, I just want to push the UP Button. And if is Too Much, then the Down Button.

I've Tried all manner of Mods and Atomizers and Coil Builds over the years. But I still like Plain Old VW the best. Because all I do is Push the Up/Down Buttons.

Your Kanger Mod may have a Bunch of things you can Set. Or things that are Confusing. But that Doesn't mean have to use them. Just figure out how to get the Mod into VW Mode and then use the Up/Down Buttons to adjust the Hit till you like it.

Easy Peasy.

Last edited:

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
zoiDman, been using Vaporesso omni board devices for the past year after having one of the SMOK Procolours which was awful experience. At least the SMOK lived up to its name, as it just burnt through coils.

Vaporesso Switcher was wonderful in comparison, and Luxe isn't shabby either. And TCR is reasonably simple with them and the GT stainless steel coils. Set TCR value (88 seems optimal), set initial firing Watts (25 to 30), set temp in farenheit or Celsius (my preference is 250°C) and your good to go.

• Agree
Reactions: Fidola13

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
zoiDman, been using Vaporesso omni board devices for the past year after having one of the SMOK Procolours which was awful experience. At least the SMOK lived up to its name, as it just burnt through coils.

Vaporesso Switcher was wonderful in comparison, and Luxe isn't shabby either. And TCR is reasonably simple with them and the GT stainless steel coils. Set TCR value (88 seems optimal), set initial firing Watts (25 to 30), set temp in farenheit or Celsius (my preference is 250°C) and your good to go.

Sounds good Mordacai.

Nice to hear that you have something that works Well for You.

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
One of your problems would be that the mod you bought is not adjustable. 65 watts? That may be a bit much for your .25 ohm coil being a new vaper.
Myself being an old(ish) vaper have a hard time going up to 50 watts on my DNA75 or my DNA200 mods (both of which are fully adjustable). 44 watts right now on a .25 ohms coil and that hurts for the longer drags.

35mg nic salts are going to hurt too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread