Scratchy/tickley throat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
I'm vaping 16mg nicotine cartridges at the moment that came with my new ecig. The cartridges make my throat dry, I guess that's propylene glycol but they also taste scratchy and tickle/irritate my throat. The uncomfortable feeling sometimes moves down my oesophagus and feels like heartburn or acid indigestion, only higher up.

It doesn't happen to me when I vape all day with veg glycerine and low nic/low pg mix, so I guess it's to do with the composition of the juice in the cartridges. I've only used the cartridges with my new atomiser though so I suppose it's possible that the atomiser has something to do with it. To be honest I find that hard to believe, unless it's burning at a different temperature and that's making a difference to the composition of the vapour.

I'm thinking the scratchy/tickley/irritating sensation is to do with nicotine, propylene glycol or it's a mild sensitivity to something else in the cartridge.

Does anyone know what causes this? Even if you don't know for sure I'd be interested in opinions and educated guesses. Ta. :confused:

Jag1313

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2008
US-FL
I'm vaping 16mg nicotine cartridges at the moment that came with my new ecig. The cartridges make my throat dry, I guess that's propylene glycol but they also taste scratchy and tickle/irritate my throat. The uncomfortable feeling sometimes moves down my oesophagus and feels like heartburn or acid indigestion, only higher up.

It doesn't happen to me when I vape all day with veg glycerine and low nic/low pg mix, so I guess it's to do with the composition of the juice in the cartridges. I've only used the cartridges with my new atomiser though so I suppose it's possible that the atomiser has something to do with it. To be honest I find that hard to believe, unless it's burning at a different temperature and that's making a difference to the composition of the vapour.

I'm thinking the scratchy/tickley/irritating sensation is to do with nicotine, propylene glycol or it's a mild sensitivity to something else in the cartridge.

Does anyone know what causes this? Even if you don't know for sure I'd be interested in opinions and educated guesses. Ta. :confused:

Mother Kate,
that scratchy/tickley/irritating feeling combined with a kind of heartburn later sounds familiar to me to BUT only with one kind of cartridge (Marlboro taste) which develops a kind of buttery acid taste after a while and later almost tastes like oil out of a chinese restaurant fryer (spring or egg rolls). :cry: Never had that with any juice from Ruyan, Janty or JC!

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Thanks for your ideas folks, you've given me something to think about.

It's a Janty Kissbox classic DC, I'm not sure which flavours are causing problems or if it's them all, I haven't been paying enough attention so far and have got my cartridges mixed up. I tried one of each of the four new flavour Janty cartridges I have and then got them mixed up on my desk and can't tell which is which at the moment.

Luckily I have only one working battery for the Kissbox for now so I'm forced to have a break from the cartridges while it charges.

I have oriental, RY4, mint and marlboro. I quite like them all although I'm not as keen on tobacco flavours as I used to be. The oriental is my favourite ready made flavour so far. I don't usually like mint flavours much but the mint cartridge is mild and I like it. I can see why RY4 is so popular, it's a good 'smoke', seems cigarette like to me. The marlboro is ok but nothing special.

I'll pay attention to which flavours affect my throat and let you know if it's specific ones or all of them.

As Emp says though, it might be to do with the atomiser. I've been using it for a couple of days now so I'm not sure that the factory prime liquid will still be on it.

Jag, bless you my son. I'll specially watch out for the marlboro. Thanks.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
It's the LorAnn candy flavours from Barry Farm that you're thinking of. Yes, I'm still using them in my diy mix and think they're great. I've only tried four flavours so far and have discovered that pralines and cream is totally dreamy. They are much better flavours than the standard food flavours I've tried, very concentrated, except for the coconut flavour, that's not a strong taste. I don't think they're clogging my atomisers either.

To continue on the thread, I've just remembered that when I vaped high nic generic cartridges they irritated my throat too. I stopped using them neat and squeezed them to dilute in my home made juice. They were from my early days with a generic penstyle. That's why I'm not sure my problem is to do with Janty or the atomiser, I've had it before.

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
i think its just an effect of the fluid.. i have had the normal dry mouth thing.. i think every one gets that.. a nasty cough from ruyan fluid and only ruyan fluid.. plus the dry scratchy back of the throat thing.. my voice alters as well.. its like its connected with the voice box.. this seems connected with excessive vapour intake.. which in my case is normal.. i get thru 2 ml per day..

this stuff isnt entirely benign.. it irritates the throat.. my eldest son also get the scratchy throat thing at times..

oddly the dry mouth syndrome seems not to happen any more.. just the scratchy throat thing..

an odd way of describing it.. but its as good as any..

trog

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
If you get those symptoms with low and zero nic juice then it's not the nicotine Jag. Was the JC juice you tried non-pg? To have a specific reaction to marlboro suggests that it's one of the flavouring ingredients used.

Thanks for your perspective Trog. I guess you permanently use high nic propylene glycol eliquid? Have you ever tried non-pg stuff? What flavour do you usually use, it's not marlboro by any chance?

I have no trouble with my own mix, that's mostly vg, low nic and LorAnn flavours. I have a feeling that it might be a problem with propylene glycol for me. I'm not usually irritated by nicotine in this way. Maybe it's a low level irritant for some of us. I don't know yet if it's the marboro flavour, I'll try to keep track of what I'm vaping. What I should do is try dripping my home mix into my Kissbox to rule out it being an atomiser problem. I'm a bit reluctant to drip it at the moment with it being so new, maybe later.

Jag1313

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2008
US-FL
Hi Kate, I am not sure if it was PG or VG since ordering cartridges most times will not give you a choice. Sometimes I thought it was VG because of the late taste like frying oil. I guess it must be one of the ingredients for the flavor which is causing it for me and I am sure there is a bunch in (lactic acid with what else etc). Is your kissbox atomizer getting really hot when you smoke? It could also be a chemical reaction which only happens above a certain temperature.

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
I

Thanks for your perspective Trog. I guess you permanently use high nic propylene glycol eliquid? Have you ever tried non-pg stuff? What flavour do you usually use, it's not marlboro by any chance?

i ordered 100 classic carts from heaven gift to syringe for my liquid.. it was high strength marlboro.. i thought was was weak no taste stuff relatively speaking.. very mild..

my favorite is e-cig china flue cured 24 mg.. the olympics have made it hard to get.. the only specific fluid that has given me problems was the ruyan stuff..

but i was dripping it into a pipe.. in other words getting way more of it than the normal ruyan cigar would give me..

to relate my experience.. wake up.. reach for e pipe and take a puff.. pretty normal actively.. he he..

but it made me cough as soon as i inhaled it.. i had been smoking the ruyan fluid for two or three days.. i rolled a normal cig (strong) and tried that.. no cough..

i tried a pillbox generic cart.. no cough.. back to the ruyan instant cough.. it was quite clearly the ruyan fluid causing the problem..

i tried mixing it but even a a fifty fifty mix brought on the cough.. i am talking a a total inability to inhale the stuff.. i liked the taste but had to stop using it..

a nuisance cos i had just bought fifty carts.. my eldest son used it up but near the end it brought on the back of the throat scratchy thing and made his voice go hoarse.. but it never made him cough badly like it did me..

trog

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Marlboro flavour irritates Jag's throat. Ruyan eliquid makes Trog cough and other stuff gives him and his son a scratchy throat. (From a different thread) Johnson Creek gives some people a numb mouth. Someone else gets a numb mouth with ecig.com eliquid.

I'm getting an acid feeling in my oesophagus right now but there's no way for me to work out what's caused it today, I've tried Ruyan (yuk!), Janty and diy juice. I don't have the irritated throat at the moment so that might be caused by something else.

Does anyone else get the irritated throat thing?

Jag1313

ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2008
US-FL
Maybe you were already on the right track and that the symptoms are caused by an atomizer which overheats and is causing a different reaction with e-juice, add to this the darn fibers in the coil which is getting BBQ'd. Knowing the product name of the coil fiber would make it easier to find out if atomizers add to it. I was disecting two different atomizers today which were getting to hot (one from a mini and another one from a super mini) and studied other ones. I will describe that in another post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread