Screwdriver is it expensive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss Diane

ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2008
uk
I tend to peruse around the forum rather than log in these days
I find it most interesting about alot of the comments on Trogs screwdriver and the cost.

I have had my ding dong's with Trog in the past but you've got to take your hat off to the man who has probably spent alot of his own time and money in trying to invent a device that will accomodate and be able to re-produce an E:Cig for the hard core e:smoker.

all prices are approx

Janty is 99.95 euros plus shipping £77.84
Sedansa 112.36 euros plus shipping £87.51
loong totem 104.45$ plus shipping £65.60

:grr:So far i have returned two seperate parcels of batteries / atomisers etc to janty costing approx £12.00 each timewith which as at today I am still waiting for replacements even though Harry assures me he had sent replacements last Friday by carrier not normal post. I have now waited nearly 7 weeks for the replacements parts.(04.09.08) and
i have more faulty parts now to be returned so theres another twelve quid:evil:I have returned the same sort of thing to Sedansa costing as above. I was told by Sedansa that new parts would be shipped when faulty parts had been received, two returns also with more to be returned now.

:(And Loong totem well i will be here all night if start on about them, as you all know i had to spend another £70 to get replacements sent foc shipping.

How many generics we have bought from China which have been DOA i wouldn't even hazard a guess, but how much money do you keep flushing down the loo on guarantees and expensive returns to europe and china.

I am sure that Trog will have to sell a good few screwdrivers before he will be able to cut his losses and begin to make a profit.

These are not mass produced like china on a conveyor belt but are assembled by hand.

I suppose i'm one of the lucky one's as Ned has one but he hasn't complained once since receiving it last friday:thumb:

For all the people who sit and criticise perhaps we should have a thread
FORUM MEMBERS INVENTIONS

So NO i dont think £99.95 is expensive for a hand made E:cig that is strong/robust and at least it says what it does on the packet no fancy gimmicks or promises.

So in Ned's words
IT SIMPLY WORKS

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
Have to agree with you miss diane as trog has resolved a major problem in the e-cig world deserving credit where its due.

Tell me somewhere else where you can get a device that lasts 8 hours of good usage without needing a charge?

:thumb:

Um, an e-pipe. It's an e-pipe battery. You asked. :)

ApOsTle51

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2008
UK
It still uses a 'chinese' made atomizer, it still uses a 'chinese' made Battery , it still uses a 'chinese' made cartridge, it still uses a 'chinese' made charger it even comes with 'chinese' made e-liquid.

Trogs not blowing his own trumpet here and good on him for that one. Let's not blow the screwdriver completly out of the water and make it something that Legends are written about.

For all Trogs work he's only made a case to hold a bigger battery..it's not rocket science. it's just Trog has the Time and a nice garage to do it in.

Keep it real people.

ApOsTle51

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2008
UK
I'm not saying Troggo hasn't done a great job in knocking these up. I just think people without engineering knowledge are blown away quite easily by a shiny piece of turned Metal.

Aluminium is easy to work with , i was a mechanical engineer for 12 years once upon a time so i know whats involved in the production of the screwdriver and it's not some kind of Black magic.

It's the IDEA that trog had which is the smart thing , not the practicality in making it a reality.

As for Expensive well lets see what it comes with.

2 x 901 atomizers = £13.00
2 x batteries = £5.00 ( guessing there )
1 x battery charger = £4.00 ( another guess )
One ten ml bottle of 24 mg flu cured dripping fluid = £6.49
cost of an original 901 battery ( for the connector ) = £7.99
5 empty carts = £1.75

so thats an estimate of £38.23

deduct that from the £99 you got £60.77

then you got blank aircraft grade aluminium and a push to make switch so lets say another £5 there so we have

£55.77

that just about 1 1/2 hours rate for a poorly paid engineer with a profesional machine shop.

so in the grand scheme of things , i dont really think the whole kit is overpriced.

now ...where to i place my order ;)

edit : couldnt edit my original post

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
Yeah, I don't mean to knock it, or Trog for making it. All it is, though is a battery case, a push button on and off switch, and an atomizer connector. But then, that's all it needs to be. BYO batts and atts. I get the concept and I like it.

But it's out of my pricerange and If I COULD afford it, I'd want the basic hardware (not the batts and atts; the switch, the wires and soldering, and fittings) warrantied, and I'd want it fitted for a Loong Totem atomizer instead of a 901.

$200 is a lot. And as a consumer it has to offer enough value to be worth it. For some the long battery runtime is enough. I would want an equally long cartridge life, a more powerful att, and a guarantee that if the switch breaks a few months down the road I'm not out.

trog100

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 23, 2008
UK
look the bottom line on cost is it has to be what it is else we cant make..

we throw in forum and real back up advice.. a return to base service and very cheap running costs..

now do a cost break down of the alternatives.. for what it is the product is cheap..

we are also offering free postage and do incur paypal charges..

i an ideal world we would have them produced in china for five dollars like all the others are and make lot a more money..

the return just about makes them worth making.. trying to outdo the chinese aint easy... he he

but if people want them they will buy them.. if not they wont.. time will tell..

trog

Miss Diane

ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2008
uk
I'm not saying Troggo hasn't done a great job in knocking these up. I just think people without engineering knowledge are blown away quite easily by a shiny piece of turned Metal.

Aluminium is easy to work with , i was a mechanical engineer for 12 years once upon a time so i know whats involved in the production of the screwdriver and it's not some kind of Black magic.

It's the IDEA that trog had which is the smart thing , not the practicality in making it a reality.

As for Expensive well lets see what it comes with.

2 x 901 atomizers = £13.00
2 x batteries = £5.00 ( guessing there )
1 x battery charger = £4.00 ( another guess )
One ten ml bottle of 24 mg flu cured dripping fluid = £6.49
cost of an original 901 battery ( for the connector ) = £7.99
5 empty carts = £1.75

so thats an estimate of £38.23

deduct that from the £99 you got £60.77

then you got blank aircraft grade aluminium and a push to make switch so lets say another £5 there so we have

£55.77

that just about 1 1/2 hours rate for a poorly paid engineer with a profesional machine shop.

so in the grand scheme of things , i dont really think the whole kit is overpriced.

now ...where to i place my order ;)

edit : couldnt edit my original post

Well apostle

this thread is exactly for people like you

put your money where your mouth is where's your invention if it's that easy

ted26

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2008
uk england
Yeah, I don't mean to knock it, or Trog for making it. All it is, though is a battery case, a push button on and off switch, and an atomizer connector. But then, that's all it needs to be. BYO batts and atts. I get the concept and I like it.

But it's out of my pricerange and If I COULD afford it, I'd want the basic hardware (not the batts and atts; the switch, the wires and soldering, and fittings) warrantied, and I'd want it fitted for a Loong Totem atomizer instead of a 901.

$200 is a lot. And as a consumer it has to offer enough value to be worth it. For some the long battery runtime is enough. I would want an equally long cartridge life, a more powerful att, and a guarantee that if the switch breaks a few months down the road I'm not out.

Same here leaford i dont want trogs hammer ooops sorry screwdriver but still its a brilliant piece of kit for those who do :)

Over time the battery department will save cash so dont understand your comments unless you've atually let the trog get under your skin ;)

I,m also sure and dont care who or what trog is.....all i know is that he will offer to repair anyones screwdriver as if it was his own!

Anyway handbags down please

ApOsTle51

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2008
UK
I'm not saying Troggo hasn't done a great job in knocking these up.

i was a mechanical engineer for 12 years once upon a time so i know whats involved in the production of the screwdriver and it's not some kind of Black magic.

Well apostle

this thread is exactly for people like you

put your money where your mouth is where's your invention if it's that easy
ho hum ....
like i said Miss Diane , making it myself i could do but i no longer have access to lathes , tap and die sets , thread cutter et el anymore or the time for that matter.

i never once said " what a crap idea " or "that's a piece of piss to make".

An invention is just an idea brought to being. it's the idea thats the tricky part. If technology exists then producing it is the easy bit.

read my posts carefully ;)

Last edited:

ted26

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2008
uk england
i know for a fact it cost more than £5 for the aluminium and a push to make switch,there's more to it than that Apo.

and dont ever call me kitty baby again ,all i break ya legs !

Rock and roll kitty baby (you left it wiiiiiiiiide open) :D

Folks please be decent in the way you taunt each other cos this is becoming slightly boring.....trogstey....no.....kitty......no......we all have names and would like to be called them as they were originally stated.

anyway back on topic as trog says either buy or dont,,,,its simple

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
And is that a one year warranty, then, Trog? Don't be scared of the words. If you guarantee it, guarantee it. ;)

And I'd as soon have the option of getting it naked, maybe offer a bare kit, and one with the trimmings.

Ted, I don't know what part of "out of my pricerange," you don't understand. I never said it was overpriced; I said I can't afford it, and if I could I'd want a waranty and a different atomizer fitted to it.

And yes Trog gets under my skin. Oil and water. Cats and Dogs. Trolls and Birds. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread