sculpey drip tips - make em shine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saraf3m

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2011
Eagle Rock, Los Angeles
saraf3m-well I have those two items in house so I will give it a try. Thanks :) Oh wait-did you wet the BS or use it dry?

Para-that looks amazing! It's a clay tip polished that beautiful? Is the PlastX available at walmart or is it something I need to go to an automotive store to pick up?

I did, but I guess I'm late responding. Your solution made your tips look amazing! great job!

Lethalp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2011
Indiana
So is sculpey safe to vape out of or no? Looks like ppl have different opinions on it? And how bout the plastx that para suggested, is that safe to put near your face once u use it to shine it up? Just wanna ck before I clean out hobby lobby of all it's clay!! Lol thanks for the ideas, gonna be fun to play like a kid again!!

JewelzBagz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2011
AZ
Well I made another batch a while ago for a fall theme. Stuck em in a draw and kind of forgot about em. Then yesterday the internet was down, so I pulled em out and baked em. Now not sure what the issue was. Letting them sit for a month? Using a convection oven this time? Or the sanding process?

Anyway, going through all the different levels of sandpaper up to 1500 was a total PITA. My fingers ached! Doing all that sanding also revealed air bubbles! Now I'm not sure what the cause of that issue was as I mentioned above. But when they came out of the oven there were a few raised spots that were not there when I made them. I didn't inspect them before they went in, so I'm going to assume that these air bubbles somehow developed during the month they sat in the drawer. I really don't know, hopefully someone who uses this stuff regularly will chime in with an answer.

So anyway, all the sanding worked to bring out a good shine with my homemade dremel buffer thingy. I still haven't gotten that plasticX stuff yet, and the warnings on the polishing compound I did get made is unusable. Unfortunately, the finish is marred somewhat by the exposed air bubbles. I thought about maybe plugging them up and re-baking them, but not sure if that would make them brittle or not.

pa270368.jpg

crippledbazooka: If you want one of these shoot me a pm and I'll send ya one.

Lethalp: I've been using mine for a month now. I have read the warnings about not using sculpey for food, and I've read other people saying it's fine. I honestly don't know. I don't actually drip with them, so I'm not exposing them to the eliquid. I just use them as a cart topper cause I don't like the way the cart feels in my mouth.

Prettycat191

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Plano, TX
The air bubbles are caused when you're mixing them, usually show up best when you roll them flat. The only way to really get rid of the air bubbles is to find and pop them, which is much easier said than done. The best way to avoid them that I've found is to be careful when folding/mixing/softening and press them slowly together from the middle out to trap the least amount of air in there as possible.

With the safety issue it really depends on how hot they're getting I imagine. If you're not dripping through them and using them with a higher ohm cartomizer/atomizer then it might be ok. There's just no real way to know without scientific information from someone knowledgeable about this. That's why I posted my original thoughts on it as a question, because I'm just not sure.

Last edited:

JewelzBagz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2011
AZ
Been trying to figure out what I can wrap the polymer clay around to make a holder for it that can be baked (wouldn't want to bake my battery lol), but I haven't figured anything out yet, any ideas? I need it big enough to hold an Ego-T battery.

Thanks for that info on working the clay. I knew someone would know more about it. As to your question about what you can bake safely~I'm assuming you are making a holder for the ego and want to maintain the shape of the holder while it bakes? Am I correct? I would think a piece of pipe would work well if you've got some hanging around the garage. If not, a metal flashlight tube, the handle on a hairbrush if you've got round metal ones, handles from metal kitchen spatulas, a stack of the little metal cups tealights come in?

JewelzBagz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2011
AZ
Thanks for the ideas! Yes, just to maintain the shape while it bakes. I do need it a little loose so it can slide in and out of the tube easily (and not mess up my stickers!); my flashlight might be the right size, didn't even think of using that!

oooohhh....pretty! Hope the flashlight tube works out for you. :)

JewelzBagz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 1, 2011
AZ
It's even prettier in person, the colors don't show well in the picture on a silver background, but they pop more in person. I'm going to use the flashlight wrapped in wax paper (so the polymer clay doesn't get in the grooves on the flashlight), we'll see how it turns out!

Please post a pic so we can see how it turned out! :)

Prettycat191

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Plano, TX
Well, I took pics, but they came out really fuzzy, then before i could take it outside for better pics or glaze it, my 3 year old used all her strength to rip out the rings I'd attached for a lanyard, so now it looks like a tube with 2 crazily jagged edges lol. Hopefully I can fix it with some sculpey bake & bond...if I can find the other ring anyway

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread