Status
Not open for further replies.

locke2121

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2011
Da South!
DecoArt Americana Satins

Does this make them safe to vape through? I'm not the alarmist type, but this is PVC plastic...here are a couple of interesting tidbits about it.

The Vermont Public Interest Research Group, Inc. has concluded that the use of polymer clays may lead to unsafe levels of exposure to phthalate plasticizers, especially in children, through accidental ingestion of residue on hands after use.[7]
The State of California is currently considering a bill that would ban the use of PVC in consumer packaging[citation needed] due to the threats it poses to human and environmental health and its effect on the recycling stream.[59][not in citation given] Specifically, the language of the bill analysis[60] stipulates that EPA has listed vinyl chloride, a "constituent element" of PVC, as a carcinogen.[61] It also further cites that there are concerns about the leaching of phthalates and lead from the PVC packaging.

Cool huh? I'm not saying that a lot more research has to be done. But running hot vapor through one of these tips could heat it up enough to release the chemicals that are normally inert at room temps. We're trying to learn new habits to limit our chances of cancer...and we may still be doing it to ourselves. Think I'll stick to my rubber and metal tips for a while longer.

Last edited:

Pamdane

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 10, 2011
Cleveland area, Ohio
I'd say it depends on how hot you vape. At 4.2 or below the vape would be about body temperature. PVC does not release any toxins below 300* F.
Also this(and I use FIMO)
"According to the information supplied by the manufacturer to the British Polymer Clay Guild, the old Fimo formula did not contain any of the banned phthalates. The existing formula apparently complied with the new laws. They just removed all of them to play safe - presumably, they believe that at some stage the law will change again and they want to be ready."

So I wouldnt go so far as to say alarmist, but it would have been better to simply ask which type of clay we are using....

locke2121

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2011
Da South!
Then again...a tiny metal tube..used as the center of the tip...now that might work lol. It would give them strength..and if any harmful vapors are released..they couldn't go anywhere because they would stay trapped behind the tube in the body of the tip. Could even use an old CE brass tube. You could even use the tube as the skelton of the tip so it would be easier to mold!

locke2121

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2011
Da South!
Found some FIMO at Hobby Lobby!
DT1.jpg

Pamdane

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 10, 2011
Cleveland area, Ohio
A hobby store has hand drills. About half the length of a pencil. Usually in the miniatures area. You put a small drill bit in it. I file the channel by hand. I also make the channel in the clay, but more like a line guide than what needs to be there. See my picks and you can see. Some of those are pics before firing, so they appear lop sided. I sand them down to even them out. I also use the hand drill to make the hole wider. I fire a smaller diameter hole, so the piece is more stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread