Not open for further replies.

Blitzdonlife

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2012
Central Texas
I am on a quest.

I'm looking for my unicorns.

Those mystical vape recipes that satisfy on levels that make the vaping experience truly magical.

The road has been long, and my missteps abound, but my compass points north and I shall keep my course.

I found one, but three remain. The first took 9 years of experimenting, but I found it. I need help finding the next three. With regulations looming I don't have an indefinite time.

What I'm looking for are thus;

A cherry-limeade that tastes like the sonic one, without bitterness and real cherry flavor/acidity

A cherry-cola with an authentic cherry and authentic non-gummy cola

A Whiskey sour with a really good sour mix

Any help is appreciated

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I personally doubt this will go well.

I notice two of those are “real cherry” cherry is a notoriously difficult flavor even for ingested flavors. I gave up on cherry flavored vapes entirely.

The sour might also be hard. Sour means acid. So what you’re saying is “I want to breathe acid but not be damaged by it”

Blitzdonlife

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2012
Central Texas
I don't care for cherry but maybe you can get some ideas from watching this. Have you looked on elr recipes or all the flavors for recipes?

I tried a bunch of cherries, but they all tasted like cough syrup. Thank you for the link, watching now.

Blitzdonlife

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2012
Central Texas
I personally doubt this will go well.

I notice two of those are “real cherry” cherry is a notoriously difficult flavor even for ingested flavors. I gave up on cherry flavored vapes entirely.

The sour might also be hard. Sour means acid. So what you’re saying is “I want to breathe acid but not be damaged by it”

Lol, not straight acid. Sour mix, as in the lemon/citrus with egg powder base and sweetener that is used in a whiskey sour, or amaretto sour for example.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Lol, not straight acid. Sour mix, as in the lemon/citrus with egg powder base and sweetener that is used in a whiskey sour, or amaretto sour for example.
Oh, I know. Lemon/citrus is citric acid. Your stomach is built to handle acids, and your tongue is built to taste them. Lungs not so much.

Blitzdonlife

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2012
Central Texas
Oh, I know. Lemon/citrus is citric acid. Your stomach is built to handle acids, and your tongue is built to taste them. Lungs not so much.
I have to wonder with all the bad cherry experiences/reviews out there, mine included; is cherry really cherry by itself? Citric acid it s a good point, maybe key lime and lemonade in combo with it? One thing I know for sure is that TFA maraschino cherry does not taste like a candied cherry to me. At all. Even close. Vomit, etc.

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
I love cherry yet everything I tried tasted like cough syrup to me as well until I got a recommendation from @Baditude .

I mainly DIY and haven’t ordered any in quite awhile and can’t for the life of me remember what it was called or who made it but it was really good. Maybe Bad will stop by and refresh my memory.

Blitzdonlife

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2012
Central Texas
I love cherry yet everything I tried tasted like cough syrup to me as well until I got a recommendation from @Baditude .

I mainly DIY and haven’t ordered any in quite awhile and can’t for the life of me remember what it was called or who made it but it was really good. Maybe Bad will stop by and refresh my memory.
I hope @Baditude stops by, that sounds good.

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I have to wonder with all the bad cherry experiences/reviews out there, mine included; is cherry really cherry by itself? Citric acid it s a good point, maybe key lime and lemonade in combo with it? One thing I know for sure is that TFA maraschino cherry does not taste like a candied cherry to me. At all. Even close. Vomit, etc.
Part of the problem is the way flavorings work. If you put all the chemicals of a cherry in the same ratios as what is in a cherry you basically have a cherry. Plus those chemicals need to be both safe and stable. Flavorings use only a few of those chemicals. Different tongues identify different chemicals to define a flavor. It’s different for everyone. This means a given flavoring will taste like that thing to a few people but not everyone.

Cherry is particularly bad this way. Also there are so very many cherry flavored things, many of which are medicine. If the first time you had that particular flavoring it was in medicine you’re going to identify that flavor as medicine.

Last edited:

Blitzdonlife

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2012
Central Texas
Part of the problem is the way flavorings work. If you put all the chemicals of a cherry in the same ratios as what is in a cherry you basically have a cherry. Plus those chemicals need to be both safe and stable. Flavorings use only a few word those chemicals. Different tongues identify different chemicals to define a flavor. It’s different for everyone. This means a given flavoring will taste like that thing to a few people but not everyone.

Cherry is particularly bad this way. Also there are so very many cherry flavored things, many of which are medicine. If the first time you had that particular flavoring it was in medicine you’re going to identify that flavor as medicine.
With all of the bad cherry flavor reviews (pretty much all of them), and considering that so many comments have been made on displeasure with this flavor, I would think flavor manufacturers would have figured out which chemicals to use. If not for accuracy, then for sales. Are the aromatics in a natural cherry so volatile and unique that they are impossible to reproduce or stabilize? Is there no alternative way to stimulate olfactory receptors and trick the majority of people into thinking we taste cherry even if it is not in fact cherry.

I feel like it is like this; how many licks does it take to get to the center if a... you get the point.

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

It was a commercial premix by I think Ohm Vapes, and flavor line The Fountain and flavor was called Coded.
A cherry slush flavor. Google it.

Last edited:

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
It was a commercial premix by I think Ohm Vapes, and called Fountain. A cherry slushy flavor.

Yeah, I found it (and ordered some :thumb:) and posted it here and then realized that I didn’t read the OP very well :lol:

Thanks Bad :)

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
Have you tried Realflavors cherry?
I haven't tried their straight cherry flavor,but they have a cherry pie flavor that tasted very authentic to me,which was a surprise because every other cherry i had tasted was like cough syrup,but that cherry pie was really good.I meant to get the straight cherry to try but forgot about it until now haha.

Reactions: Blitzdonlife
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread