The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Searching for the best flavor coil

Discussion in 'Wick and Wire' started by fifamymaingame, Dec 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. fifamymaingame

fifamymaingame Super Member

Jun 8, 2017
    Colorado
    Tried tons of premade don't know gauges or material half the time it's not listed locally
    I used framed staple by demon killer to hot to much spit back needed to much wattage

I like to stay under 90 favorites have been clapton and aliens

Right now I got some thick ssl wire 2 5wraps ohm to .39 and for what ever reason it's to cold and not the best vape I had

I'm sick of not knowing this stuff
    Can someone teach me I've tried vape tool and steam engine and they never work for me never match what premades I buy

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mr. Relentless

Mr. Relentless Super Member

Oct 17, 2017
    I like 22 gauge dual 5 wrap 3mm. I hate crazy builds with long ramp up and hot and popping. I also don't notice much flavor difference myself on exotic coils.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. stols001

stols001 Mistress of the Dark Nicotinic Arts Verified Member

Supporting member
    May 30, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    It's hard to say what coil would "suit" you since you don't know the materials of the coils you are buying (which, if you can look at past orders sometimes from online, they will list what you have purchased). If you have been using exotic coils, though, it's likely that your first premade (more simple) coil may not match it in flavor/vape as likely you were heating up more metal, leading to a denser/thicker vape that you might like.

I started with 28 gauge SS wire for building, and I build simple round coils (spaced or contact). I have been happy with my results, but I do have a hunch that my MTL vaping style isn't what you are looking for, so the suggestion of thicker wire is a good one. May also wind up wanting dual coils as well, if you have an RTA that uses one. I'd just pick a starting point and go from there, although I am sure others will be along with better advice.

Good luck replicating your results!

Anna

• Like Like x 1
  4. mimöschen

mimöschen Super Member ECF Veteran

Jul 15, 2016
    My standard dual coil setup is 5 wrap Kanthal 0.3*0.8/32 Flat Claptons(Aliens).
    For the lower wattage range I use Kanthal 26/32 Claptons.
    In single coil I prefer SS316l 28+28/32 Fused Claptons.
    So nothing fancy there, but the coils don't gunk up too fast - at least compared to coils with multiple higher GA wires - and perform well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mike P

Mike P Full Member

Nov 13, 2017
    I have only tried kanthal and nichrome 80.

I have the demon killer 8in1 pack, which has a variety of fancy kanthal coils(clapton alien and fused, twisted, tiger, quad etc.) all at 3mm id and an average of 6 wraps. I tried them all in my troll v2 25mm and thought they were ok at best.

now I'm using the straight wire nichome80 20awg, dual coil, 2.5mm id ohming at .20 with 10 wraps in the dead rabbit rda. the difference in these two setups is night and day.

I don't know if it's the nichrome or the dead rabbit(probably a bit of both) cause I haven't run the nichrome in the troll yet but the flavor is out of this world.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. mimöschen

Jul 15, 2016
    The Troll, in contrast to the Dead Rabbit, isn't really known for being a flavormachine.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mike P

Mike P Full Member

Nov 13, 2017
    something I noticed about the troll v2 w kanthal vs the dead rabbit w nichrome is that the troll seemed to be cooking the juice. no matter how I wicked it, by day 2 the cotton was turning brown with dark spots and the coils caked in gunk.

I've been running the dead rabbit setup for 4 days now and the cotton is still a nice clear golden yellow, the coils barely gunked, and the flavor is still great. same juice, same mod, same vape routine.

still yet to test the troll with nichrome...

• Like Like x 1
  8. mimöschen

Jul 15, 2016
    Complex coils with multiple thinner wires gunk up a lot faster than simple round wires because of the much larger overall surface.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Don29palms

Don29palms Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2014
    joshua tree, ca
    After trying many Many MANY different types of coils I've settled on using either rectangle wire coils or fused claptons. I still enjoy building different coils for relaxation.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Coyote628

Coyote628 Super Member

Sep 16, 2017
    Since i am a twisted individual, i like twisting two wires together, like 24ga kanthal and 32ga alien. It makes a crazy coil. Gunked coils arent much of a problem if you dry burn and re wick fairly often. I like experimenting so its all fun for me. If something i make doesnt work so well, i dont make it again. All the advice i can give is have fun with it and repeat whatever works best for you.

• Like Like x 2
  11. brianc11111

brianc11111 Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 30, 2014
    cincinnati
    check out Morten Oen on youtube. He's got tutorials on how to make your own flatwire. After trying it, I have recoiled all my rda's with flatwire. Awesome stuff. I wont go back to claptons

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.