Status
Not open for further replies.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Good question, Letitia. For MacTech, it was probably not worth the effort; he is rarely, if ever, rude.

Try not to be. I treat folks with an equal disdain for their ignorance. All too often that includes myself.

Good luck. :)

macaryl95

Jun 24, 2019
Sorry everyone, I have been very busy. I'm working at my new job. But that had to be held back to take a week off. So I am struggling to make up for that, while still pushing for my new business. I'm soaking up the replies and hoping to learn more.

Attached are a few photos. This is also "evidence" for the naysayers with their rude comments. I am trying to ignore any hostilities, because I don't want that in my life anymore. Hopefully the photos will provide some more insight.

The first is with my old Smok tank. It showcases the juice I am using currently. This juice is a conglomerate of equal parts PG and VG, or so I believe. Great company, but they don't seem to mix this particular juice well. I often face it being in this gel-like state. But this was from back in the winter months too, where this happens more often.

20181129_142457[1].jpg

This is the juice in its bottle. It tastes like mint candy basically. I cannot stomach any other flavour. Tobacco is okay, but gets old after a while. All of the alternate mints I have tried from this particular company made me feel ill. Any fruity flavour from any company does the same. Chocolate and raspberry are the worst.

When the coils don't work right and I get a dry hit, or whatever it's called, it tastes like a snowman punched me in the throat. My mouth and throat get extremely cold and I can't breathe for a few moments. If this weren't minty, it would probably be more basic, general pain, considering how hot the juice gets.

20190820_203933[1].jpg

Here's an old Smok coil I found to help my demonstration. I start by getting the little holes in the side dampened. I have always tried to follow how the vape shop did mine, as they went through it with me for several tanks I purchased from them. One guy just filled the tank up and said to let it sit. The other was more in-depth with the process.

20190820_204016[1].jpg

This is where I do the majority of priming the coil. I hope I used that word right, or even the right word. A little more juice applied than I do to the sides. Throughout the whole process, I also blow it through the coil to evenly distribute it. The coils aren't dripping wet or anything. I can still understand if this is a cause for the leaking, but it would not make sense to me for that to cause all of the dry hits at the same time.

Now for some insight into my installation. I wipe out everything so there is no juice all over the place. Toss the old coil and screw all the stuff back together. I never screw anything too loose or too tight. Fill it up to a reasonable level, not too much in case the coil is a dud.

Let it sit for a while, in addition to adding juice before, just for an added measure. This is where those two guys disagreed. Suck it in, closed airholes, without firing, to ensure it can wick. I hear doing that too much can cause leaking. Everything here in moderation basically. When I'm ready to start using it, I start at a low wattage and gradually increase it to where I prefer.

20190820_204034[1].jpg

Here are the settings on my Aegis. I never read this stuff, and I also never mess with it. I just never see a reason, but I have also expressed some interest in seeing what could be altered. The wattage always stays around 60-80 when I'm actually using the device.

20190820_204131[1].jpg

This is the replacement tank I got while vacationing. It's the HorizonTech Falcon King. I had a lengthy conversation with the shop owner. He completely agreed that Smok is basically rubbish. He said he threw his Smok tank right in the trash after using this. I showed him the broken drip tip, which shocked him. He also said he uses this tank on his own Aegis mod, but that felt like embellishing to me. The odds would have been staggering.

I have to admit I am impressed, but it's only been a week or two. This is almost the exact same model as the Smok Prince. But it also seems far better made. Only one real leaking issue so far. I still get those dry hits, which is the one problem I am still focused on. There was an issue with reading the coil, yet I got it to work somehow. My first hit from this thing was the best experience of my life. For some reason, it only gets bad when it gets to about half a tank or lower.

20190820_204207[1].jpg

This is the "leaking" I put up with now. One of its big flaws was minor with the Prince, considering everything else I had to deal with. Just a bit of moisture between the bottom of the tank and the top of the mod. The Prince would leak through the air holes and the top all the time, making me think the glass itself was leaking too.

20190820_204219[1].jpg

This is not a permanent solution, and I completely understand that. I just needed a step up for a while due to time constraints. The coils are widely available online too, which is a plus for sure. If anyone ever wishes to get a Prince tank, or something similar, I think I have a recommendation for once. In the meantime, I will focus on saving up for an even better tank, as several people here had mentioned.

I'll find a video uploading site if that is necessary for some of you. I can show how I prime the coils, how I fill the tank and even how I take the drags. I had thought I described everything as well as I could, but sadly, sometimes there is a language barrier.

Yes, I get how some people may think I'm insane for repeating the same mistakes. It's because I have put my faith in companies that focus exclusively on one thing, instead of Smok, which is all over the place. They suffer in quality as a result, as far as I am concerned. I can see how the rest makes me look bad.

Perhaps I should move on to a different kind of tank, instead of purchasing similar models. Whatever I'm doing wrong may or may not be fixable, but Smok itself sure is not helping anything. Also, DIY coils seem preferable. The thought scares me but intrigues me. Really enjoy learning new things. I've actually been reading up a bit on all of this stuff.

Juuls seem ridiculous in the price-juice ratio. The startup cost appears more worth it compared to similar products. But still, I refuse to ever touch the stuff. Products like Juul have a lot more in common with cigarette companies than vaping. They're definitely the more "convenient" choice if you prefer not to do things yourself. Same as Blus and all other related companies. I have also read a lot of bad reviews about them.

It's more my thing to buy some juice every few months, rather than spend the same amount on a few carts at the gas station. One MyBlu cartridge would barely last me a day. I calculated the costs, and that would be astronomical if I kept such a thing going. Somewhere around $5-10 a day, which would actually cost more than smoking.

For those that need more background on my habits. I have never been a "smoker." I always rode in the backseat of my mother's car, as her cigarette smoke blew right back into the car and made me sick. This was my childhood. I smoked cigarettes twice in high school and could not stand it. But I still needed that nicotine later down the road.

Not really an addictive personality, but I needed a way to blow off stress from my main job. It was ruining me mentally. That's where I learned I could get nicotine and not have to sell my lungs in the process. If this makes me a bad person, or not a "true vaper," apologies. I still don't flaunt it. The juice level is on the high side too. I chain vape to forget life.

While I was interested initially in all the things you can do with vaping, that fell by the wayside when I was focused on simply getting everything to operate. So yes, I love the whole "big clouds" image. While at the same time being wary of how many jerks also gravitate toward that aspect. I was never one for theatrics anyway.

If I had to choose on the MtL or DtL, I would pick mostly DtL. Not a big fan of how juice tastes. Also have a bad case of vaper's tongue. If anyone is thinking this factors into my issues, I can see how DtL would be a more forceful inward motion. Still, after seeing how some guys vape in their videos, I definitely do not go as hard as them.

For those of you who think I am saying too much while saying nothing at all, this is the way my mind works. I am on another subject while trying to finish the first. I cannot help the way I function mentally. I have issues in that area anyway. Stop picking on the disabled. There's also so much to say, in my mind, that condensing it all would feel like a lot got skimmed over or missed entirely.

Nicotine poisoning is very possible. Take into consideration a stick that leaks all of the time, and you barely get any hits from it. Throw in lots of spitback for good measure. I also underestimated the dangers of ingesting nicotine. That night, the entire night, I was sick. I had to hang around outside, lying down, to avoid puking my guts out. The crackers and water helped. Others have probably had it even worse, so I counted my blessings there. Perhaps it isn't "poisoning," but it was bad.

If I say there aren't many options, that's what I mean. Can't tell if you misread what my initial post stated, or are simply looking to argue. That shop was at least 80% Smok. Just as the one I went to more recently only had a few Smok mods, and was dead set on another company to carry their tanks. Different stores all have their own methods. I was a vape baby looking for guidance and got misled.

Not sure why the hostilities are necessary. I shifted here to learn, and to be shielded from the standoffish nature of Reddit. Some users here have given me that chance. Others are writing some rude stuff I do not wish to get wrapped up in. While I do not appreciate that, I do appreciate you cooling off after spouting what you have to say. I only hope to endure informative discussion.

This shouldn't be painful... Right? Whatever it is when you get little or no vapour, and it causes immense pain, that is the problem I am still trying to resolve. Not good on vaping terminology. Thank you for your time, and however much time you may contribute in the future.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Sorry everyone, I have been very busy. I'm working at my new job. But that had to be held back to take a week off. So I am struggling to make up for that, while still pushing for my new business. I'm soaking up the replies and hoping to learn more.

Attached are a few photos. This is also "evidence" for the naysayers with their rude comments. I am trying to ignore any hostilities, because I don't want that in my life anymore. Hopefully the photos will provide some more insight.

The first is with my old Smok tank. It showcases the juice I am using currently. This juice is a conglomerate of equal parts PG and VG, or so I believe. Great company, but they don't seem to mix this particular juice well. I often face it being in this gel-like state. But this was from back in the winter months too, where this happens more often.

View attachment 833541

This is the juice in its bottle. It tastes like mint candy basically. I cannot stomach any other flavour. Tobacco is okay, but gets old after a while. All of the alternate mints I have tried from this particular company made me feel ill. Any fruity flavour from any company does the same. Chocolate and raspberry are the worst.

When the coils don't work right and I get a dry hit, or whatever it's called, it tastes like a snowman punched me in the throat. My mouth and throat get extremely cold and I can't breathe for a few moments. If this weren't minty, it would probably be more basic, general pain, considering how hot the juice gets.

View attachment 833543

Here's an old Smok coil I found to help my demonstration. I start by getting the little holes in the side dampened. I have always tried to follow how the vape shop did mine, as they went through it with me for several tanks I purchased from them. One guy just filled the tank up and said to let it sit. The other was more in-depth with the process.

View attachment 833547

This is where I do the majority of priming the coil. I hope I used that word right, or even the right word. A little more juice applied than I do to the sides. Throughout the whole process, I also blow it through the coil to evenly distribute it. The coils aren't dripping wet or anything. I can still understand if this is a cause for the leaking, but it would not make sense to me for that to cause all of the dry hits at the same time.

Now for some insight into my installation. I wipe out everything so there is no juice all over the place. Toss the old coil and screw all the stuff back together. I never screw anything too loose or too tight. Fill it up to a reasonable level, not too much in case the coil is a dud.

Let it sit for a while, in addition to adding juice before, just for an added measure. This is where those two guys disagreed. Suck it in, closed airholes, without firing, to ensure it can wick. I hear doing that too much can cause leaking. Everything here in moderation basically. When I'm ready to start using it, I start at a low wattage and gradually increase it to where I prefer.

View attachment 833549

Here are the settings on my Aegis. I never read this stuff, and I also never mess with it. I just never see a reason, but I have also expressed some interest in seeing what could be altered. The wattage always stays around 60-80 when I'm actually using the device.

View attachment 833555

This is the replacement tank I got while vacationing. It's the HorizonTech Falcon King. I had a lengthy conversation with the shop owner. He completely agreed that Smok is basically rubbish. He said he threw his Smok tank right in the trash after using this. I showed him the broken drip tip, which shocked him. He also said he uses this tank on his own Aegis mod, but that felt like embellishing to me. The odds would have been staggering.

I have to admit I am impressed, but it's only been a week or two. This is almost the exact same model as the Smok Prince. But it also seems far better made. Only one real leaking issue so far. I still get those dry hits, which is the one problem I am still focused on. There was an issue with reading the coil, yet I got it to work somehow. My first hit from this thing was the best experience of my life. For some reason, it only gets bad when it gets to about half a tank or lower.

View attachment 833557

This is the "leaking" I put up with now. One of its big flaws was minor with the Prince, considering everything else I had to deal with. Just a bit of moisture between the bottom of the tank and the top of the mod. The Prince would leak through the air holes and the top all the time, making me think the glass itself was leaking too.

View attachment 833559

This is not a permanent solution, and I completely understand that. I just needed a step up for a while due to time constraints. The coils are widely available online too, which is a plus for sure. If anyone ever wishes to get a Prince tank, or something similar, I think I have a recommendation for once. In the meantime, I will focus on saving up for an even better tank, as several people here had mentioned.

I'll find a video uploading site if that is necessary for some of you. I can show how I prime the coils, how I fill the tank and even how I take the drags. I had thought I described everything as well as I could, but sadly, sometimes there is a language barrier.

Yes, I get how some people may think I'm insane for repeating the same mistakes. It's because I have put my faith in companies that focus exclusively on one thing, instead of Smok, which is all over the place. They suffer in quality as a result, as far as I am concerned. I can see how the rest makes me look bad.

Perhaps I should move on to a different kind of tank, instead of purchasing similar models. Whatever I'm doing wrong may or may not be fixable, but Smok itself sure is not helping anything. Also, DIY coils seem preferable. The thought scares me but intrigues me. Really enjoy learning new things. I've actually been reading up a bit on all of this stuff.

Juuls seem ridiculous in the price-juice ratio. The startup cost appears more worth it compared to similar products. But still, I refuse to ever touch the stuff. Products like Juul have a lot more in common with cigarette companies than vaping. They're definitely the more "convenient" choice if you prefer not to do things yourself. Same as Blus and all other related companies. I have also read a lot of bad reviews about them.

It's more my thing to buy some juice every few months, rather than spend the same amount on a few carts at the gas station. One MyBlu cartridge would barely last me a day. I calculated the costs, and that would be astronomical if I kept such a thing going. Somewhere around $5-10 a day, which would actually cost more than smoking.

For those that need more background on my habits. I have never been a "smoker." I always rode in the backseat of my mother's car, as her cigarette smoke blew right back into the car and made me sick. This was my childhood. I smoked cigarettes twice in high school and could not stand it. But I still needed that nicotine later down the road.

Not really an addictive personality, but I needed a way to blow off stress from my main job. It was ruining me mentally. That's where I learned I could get nicotine and not have to sell my lungs in the process. If this makes me a bad person, or not a "true vaper," apologies. I still don't flaunt it. The juice level is on the high side too. I chain vape to forget life.

While I was interested initially in all the things you can do with vaping, that fell by the wayside when I was focused on simply getting everything to operate. So yes, I love the whole "big clouds" image. While at the same time being wary of how many jerks also gravitate toward that aspect. I was never one for theatrics anyway.

If I had to choose on the MtL or DtL, I would pick mostly DtL. Not a big fan of how juice tastes. Also have a bad case of vaper's tongue. If anyone is thinking this factors into my issues, I can see how DtL would be a more forceful inward motion. Still, after seeing how some guys vape in their videos, I definitely do not go as hard as them.

For those of you who think I am saying too much while saying nothing at all, this is the way my mind works. I am on another subject while trying to finish the first. I cannot help the way I function mentally. I have issues in that area anyway. Stop picking on the disabled. There's also so much to say, in my mind, that condensing it all would feel like a lot got skimmed over or missed entirely.

Nicotine poisoning is very possible. Take into consideration a stick that leaks all of the time, and you barely get any hits from it. Throw in lots of spitback for good measure. I also underestimated the dangers of ingesting nicotine. That night, the entire night, I was sick. I had to hang around outside, lying down, to avoid puking my guts out. The crackers and water helped. Others have probably had it even worse, so I counted my blessings there. Perhaps it isn't "poisoning," but it was bad.

If I say there aren't many options, that's what I mean. Can't tell if you misread what my initial post stated, or are simply looking to argue. That shop was at least 80% Smok. Just as the one I went to more recently only had a few Smok mods, and was dead set on another company to carry their tanks. Different stores all have their own methods. I was a vape baby looking for guidance and got misled.

Not sure why the hostilities are necessary. I shifted here to learn, and to be shielded from the standoffish nature of Reddit. Some users here have given me that chance. Others are writing some rude stuff I do not wish to get wrapped up in. While I do not appreciate that, I do appreciate you cooling off after spouting what you have to say. I only hope to endure informative discussion.

This shouldn't be painful... Right? Whatever it is when you get little or no vapour, and it causes immense pain, that is the problem I am still trying to resolve. Not good on vaping terminology. Thank you for your time, and however much time you may contribute in the future.
What is that in the bottom of the tank in the first pic? Cotton?

Whatever it is, it shouldn't be there. From what you said, it sounds like you are saying that is juice turning to "gel" in the bottom of the tank (which, to me, it does not look like gel in the pic) which if that is the case, I wouldn't use juice from that company any more. Ejuice should not turn into a gel form. If the juice does thicken up like you said, it won't wick into the coil and cause the dry hits you experience.

If it is cotton (which it looks more like cotton to me in the pics) it shouldn't be there either in a drop in coil tank such as that one.

Also, the juice in the pic isn't half vg half pg, it is Max vg (as it says on the label) and would be anywhere between 80-100% vg (most likely closer to the 80-90% range). That ratio is on the thicker side and wick a little slow and could contribute to dry hits if chain vaping, but should still wick if taking a couple hits and waiting a little while before taking any more. Poking a couple holes with a sewing needle in the wicking material through the sides of the coil can help speed up the wicking process with thicker juices.

That juice is also 12mg nic, which is typically considered a high amount for sub ohm DL vaping, which could attribute to the harshness of the vapor and could be part of the reason other flavors are less than satisfactory. Most DL vapers use 3-6mg. Some do use higher, but it isn't common practice for most. It makes the vapor too harsh and less pleasant to most people.

• Agree
Reactions: kross8

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    ..I also blow it through the coil to evenly distribute it.
    That could be part of the issue. While just letting a new coil head sit for 10 minutes or so does help with priming, applying some liquid directly to the wicking is a better and quicker method, and one should inhale (without firing) not exhale. Exhaling would push some or most or all of the juice that is already in the wick out of the wick.

• Agree
    Reactions: macaryl95

macaryl95

Jun 24, 2019
    one should inhale (without firing) not exhale. Exhaling would push some or most or all of the juice that is already in the wick out of the wick.

Again, I am bad at explaining things. This is one part I feel I do correctly in the setup. Never exhale when the coil is installed. What I meant was I blow on the coils before installing them, so they already have some juice soaking through the dry cotton.

macaryl95

Jun 24, 2019
    No guys, that's definitely solid juice in that tank. It's almost never that bad when in a tank, but it gets just as gelatinous when sitting in the bottle. I have no idea why. It's the only juice I have ever owned that has done this. No other juice, not even from this company, the juices I couldn't stand, solidify. While it may remain liquid in the tank, I could take into consideration ingredients or something else with the juice causing problems.

I hadn't noticed the ratio of the ingredients, and I apologise for that. It would definitely explain why this particular juice doesn't stay liquid. Now I do recall ordering max VG for a few reasons. Part of it was for a bit more vapour, because I used to get none. I also wanted to avoid the throat hits. Then I thought if I had a slightly more viscous liquid, it would hopefully solve the leaking issues.

With the tank I am using now, a higher PG might just solve this new dilemma. It's not really leaking, and the juice clearly is having trouble getting through the coil. I can't stand these painful hits I'm getting. It's happening just about every time now. Hopefully warmer vapour could heat up the frostbite sensation a bit. I have no clue. It seems when you solve one problem in life, you find another.

I would agree with the nicotine level being a concern, if I felt it truly was. It's been a few years for me and the lower levels never invoked much. So I'm pretty much used to 12mg. As stated before, it's simply trying to figure out how to use these devices properly. If I could get a nicotine rush soon, that would be a relief.

I am simply baffled at this. I've browsed elsewhere on the web, looking for anyone else having a similar experience. Actual dry hits simply taste horrible. Could anyone explain to me why menthol juice would freeze someone's mouth and throat, creep down their lungs and give them a slow-onset headache?

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    Sounds like you need to start over.

Do not vape & throw out the liquids that get gelatinous.
    Unless you live, work or vape in an area below 0 none should get jelly like or solid.
    No reason to ponder on it, toss them.

Trying to Mtl delivery devices ( tanks ) that are made for Dtl will cause all sorts of issues.
    Not enough airflow to pull liquid into wicking material - harsh / hot vapor - strong throat hit, causes singed/burnt wicking material that reduces wicking ability, then leaking & flooding because the liquid can't absorb into scorched wicking material.
    The 'tanks' you mention are all Dtl type delivery devices, you have to move a lot of air through them, really rare back & rip / cloud blower inhale.

How do you have the airflow adjusted?
    wide open or semi closed?
    Have you tried turning down the power?
    no reason to keep blasting away at a power level that obviously doesn't work for you.

It is normal to get substantial throat hit / be harsh when using 12mg/ml nic with a high power Dtl cloud blower type tank at mid to high powers,, most folks use 3 - 6 mg/ml nic in similar setups.
    Headache is one of the first symptoms of too much nicotine.
    The nicotine rush you're chasing fades fast, your body gets used to it rapidly, then what your left with is the unwanted side effects of ingesting too much nic.
    Enough nic to at least lessen the craving to smoke, some folks do find vaping elements the craving to smoke, not all.

Have you tried a Mtl delivery device / tank?
    Innokin Zenith or Aspire nautilus 2S, both can be used Mtl or restricted Dtl, both will produce cloudz and I use 50/50 liquids in them. With the 12mg/ml nic their above 1Ω heads might work better for you.

Reactions: Letitia

Zaryk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    No guys, that's definitely solid juice in that tank. It's almost never that bad when in a tank, but it gets just as gelatinous when sitting in the bottle. I have no idea why. It's the only juice I have ever owned that has done this. No other juice, not even from this company, the juices I couldn't stand, solidify. While it may remain liquid in the tank, I could take into consideration ingredients or something else with the juice causing problems.

I hadn't noticed the ratio of the ingredients, and I apologise for that. It would definitely explain why this particular juice doesn't stay liquid. Now I do recall ordering max VG for a few reasons. Part of it was for a bit more vapour, because I used to get none. I also wanted to avoid the throat hits. Then I thought if I had a slightly more viscous liquid, it would hopefully solve the leaking issues.

With the tank I am using now, a higher PG might just solve this new dilemma. It's not really leaking, and the juice clearly is having trouble getting through the coil. I can't stand these painful hits I'm getting. It's happening just about every time now. Hopefully warmer vapour could heat up the frostbite sensation a bit. I have no clue. It seems when you solve one problem in life, you find another.

I would agree with the nicotine level being a concern, if I felt it truly was. It's been a few years for me and the lower levels never invoked much. So I'm pretty much used to 12mg. As stated before, it's simply trying to figure out how to use these devices properly. If I could get a nicotine rush soon, that would be a relief.

I am simply baffled at this. I've browsed elsewhere on the web, looking for anyone else having a similar experience. Actual dry hits simply taste horrible. Could anyone explain to me why menthol juice would freeze someone's mouth and throat, creep down their lungs and give them a slow-onset headache?

Mind me asking exactly what is in the bottom of the tank in your first pic then?

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    I have been thinking of posting a thread called, "Types of New Members" for a while, I'm trying to decide if it would be insulting though.

Ephraim Cooper would be in a class of his own, called something like "The Albino Elephant." It roams in its own habitat, sightings are rare, you get the sense that it MIGHT be smart, somehow, but communicating with it is frustrating. Eventally, it loses its cool and then GORES you until it gets banned," type of deal.

Insulting? Cuz, I got LOTS of other categories in mind. LOL.
    Good idea actually. Like the Dash Vapes videos... 5 kinds of vape shop employees, 5 kinds of vapers. ect. Let's do a 5 kinds of new forum posters (of course it end up being 20 or 30, but sounds really fun)

Reactions: stols001
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread