Seasoned vaper here, love/hate relationship

Status
Not open for further replies.

macaryl95

Jun 24, 2019
Hello, I'm a very new member on this site. I am looking to have an in-depth conversation with people who know more about vaping than I do. I just use the devices, I don't have much experience about the devices themselves though. I am looking to change that hopefully.

If you would like to assist in my several-year-long issue, I am happy to read any responses. I would like it to be known I am not a fan of vaping overall. I am in love with nicotine, but in my experience the delivery behind it has been a very big issue for me. It makes no sense to me why so many people refuse to admit when there's a problem.

It all started when I was introduced to vaping with the pens. Nothing but a simple button. Then you attach a skinny tank to the top. My first handful of devices were all eLeaf and Smok. I found the tanks constantly leaking, they ruined the batteries on many of these mods and the overall experience was horrid. I caught nicotine poisoning a few times too.

What upset me the most is the people at the head shop selling me these models acted like all their products were equally deserving of praise. I bought no less than ten chargers and five mods in the pen line. I truly believe this is nothing more than a scam. If this is universal and not just terribly bad luck, I would urge everyone to skip them.

After I had enough of them, I moved on to the mods with two removable batteries. There weren't many options so I went with Smok again. I broke and got an Alien because someone I knew had one and it was amazing. When I got it, the thing held up. As they always do once you buy them. It also lasted a while, which I found impressive coming from Smok.

The problem I had with the Alien though was the god-awful tank they bundle with it. The Baby Beast is one of the worst tanks I have ever used. The swivel design makes juice leak out the top constantly. Oh and of course it would always leak out of the airflow as well. Because of all the leaking, I went through at least three Aliens.

I finally did find a slightly better tank in the Smok Prince. The locking button at the top is an upgrade. This is the tank I'm using now. But it still leaks on occasion. The main problem, something that's no issue elsewhere, is how poor in quality the coils are. They barely last me a few days. This is in spite of me taking every necessary step during installation. The amount of duds are also alarming.

I probably spend a couple hundred dollars a year on vaping products. I always cave for a new device and hope this will be my new saviour. Once again I am left disappointed and must turn back to what I've been using. As a result, I have many barely used devices in storage. My only issue with the majority of these is leaking. That price does not include all the juice wasted from leaking.

On a lighter note, I am happy to report The GeekVape Aegis is the best mod I have used so far. It's like the Alien but better. It has withstood every leaking incident I've faced to date. I also never get a dry hit or any spitback. Every device before now has caused that. The issue is finding a tank that is not a clear and total ripoff.

Currently, I have an iJoy Maxo V12, Sense Blazer, Cleito Aspire, Cleito EXO and a few other tanks recommended to me as great replacement tanks. I only hate them for the leaking. They always ooze out ten minutes after the first hit. I'm not sure where the others are. I probably smashed them to pieces in frustration. Had these worked, I'm not even sure where I could find more of their rare coils that don't work at all.

If there is some way to remedy my dilemma, I would also love it if everything I vaped didn't taste like burnt ..... That's all I ever taste. I can't taste the flavours anymore. That's what I get for using Smok products I guess. I don't care about blowing clouds or any of the other fancy stuff. I am only in it for a good experience. So any actual leakproof tank.

I have relapsed every once in a while to actual e-cigs. Stuff like Blu and similar brands. I enjoyed the cigarette-shaped models for what they were. Then I got a MyBlu and fell fully for that Neon Dream flavour. The sad part is these devices are probably the worst on the market. They leak constantly, juice never lasts and they can't hold a charge. Plus it's even more expensive. I'm about to just start smoking again.

Please somebody save me from wasting money and getting covered in juice. This is one of the areas in my life where I just fail miserably no matter what I do. Take my hand and walk me through baby steps so I can have a happy vaping experience once in my life. I have been banned from a few subs on Reddit, and those who have offered to help me only recommend a device and move on. I need actual advice here.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
Please somebody save me from wasting money and getting covered in juice. This is one of the areas in my life where I just fail miserably no matter what I do. Take my hand and walk me through baby steps so I can have a happy vaping experience once in my life. I have been banned from a few subs on Reddit, and those who have offered to help me only recommend a device and move on. I need actual advice here.

First and foremost you need to ask yourself if you're willing to accept change. If not I'm sure that any advice that anyone gives you would fall by the wayside. I see from what you've written here that you continually use what vapers call tanks.

My advice is if you keep doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results you're nuts. I don't write that with any malicious intention but rather as bit of a wake up call. you need to try something different to get different results.

I started out on cig-a-likes, using brands like Njoy, Mark TEN . I then moved on to using clear-o-mizers with an eGo battery. Look at the Kanger Evod tanks, I used ones similar to that from Smok Tech the ARO and ARO II, ARO 3 and T-Dux line. These were alright for a while but just didn't offer what I felt I needed.

A buddy kept messaging me and telling me it was time to move into something more serious. He suggested I try squonking and possibly even mech mods using RDAs. Now, I'd not much problem with the tanks I used leaking. They just didn't fulfill what I craved as far as nicotine/vapor output. I started using RDAs and well the whole concept of vaping ... I still enjoy it. :)

I'm not sure squonking or mechanical mods, RDAs are for you. They might not be. You write you've not any desired to go beyond "let me use it" as far as your learning about vaping. If you want to use RDAs you can do so on a regulated device, dripping. You don't need to squonk or use mech mods.

BUT, ... You do need to try something different. RDAs might be what you need. As I said you can learn to do dripping on a regulated device. It might take a little bit though you'd soon figure out how much juice to drip into an RDA. Quick rule of thumb 22 drops is 1 ml of juice. So if you've got an RDA that has a 3 ml juice well you can figure you'd be alright dripping in say 4 ml. Usually a wick can absorb about 1 ml.

So, I'm willing to help within reason. I am volunteering my time, not that I have much else in life to do but it's still my time. I can point you to some youtube videos. You need to watch them. You need to be willing to change and accept that. If you are not, well then all the help in the world won't help you. I'm not saying any of this to be mean in any way. It is the truth of the situation. If that reads as being mean, I'm sorry but you did ask.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
How much airflow do you like? Just got my wife a Nautilus 2s and she loves it. Nautilus (Aspire brand) have always been reliable tanks and the coils are some of the best (reliable) on the market. The Naut 2 and 2s can do mouth to lung and a restricted direct lung very well.
Leaking tanks for me often are caused by the eliquid being too thin, too high in pg ratio. Or if you let them get very hot they leak more...

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hello, I'm a very new member on this site. I am looking to have an in-depth conversation with people who know more about vaping than I do. I just use the devices, I don't have much experience about the devices themselves though. I am looking to change that hopefully.

If you would like to assist in my several-year-long issue, I am happy to read any responses. I would like it to be known I am not a fan of vaping overall. I am in love with nicotine, but in my experience the delivery behind it has been a very big issue for me. It makes no sense to me why so many people refuse to admit when there's a problem.

It all started when I was introduced to vaping with the pens. Nothing but a simple button. Then you attach a skinny tank to the top. My first handful of devices were all eLeaf and Smok. I found the tanks constantly leaking, they ruined the batteries on many of these mods and the overall experience was horrid. I caught nicotine poisoning a few times too.

What upset me the most is the people at the head shop selling me these models acted like all their products were equally deserving of praise. I bought no less than ten chargers and five mods in the pen line. I truly believe this is nothing more than a scam. If this is universal and not just terribly bad luck, I would urge everyone to skip them.

After I had enough of them, I moved on to the mods with two removable batteries. There weren't many options so I went with Smok again. I broke and got an Alien because someone I knew had one and it was amazing. When I got it, the thing held up. As they always do once you buy them. It also lasted a while, which I found impressive coming from Smok.

The problem I had with the Alien though was the god-awful tank they bundle with it. The Baby Beast is one of the worst tanks I have ever used. The swivel design makes juice leak out the top constantly. Oh and of course it would always leak out of the airflow as well. Because of all the leaking, I went through at least three Aliens.

I finally did find a slightly better tank in the Smok Prince. The locking button at the top is an upgrade. This is the tank I'm using now. But it still leaks on occasion. The main problem, something that's no issue elsewhere, is how poor in quality the coils are. They barely last me a few days. This is in spite of me taking every necessary step during installation. The amount of duds are also alarming.

I probably spend a couple hundred dollars a year on vaping products. I always cave for a new device and hope this will be my new saviour. Once again I am left disappointed and must turn back to what I've been using. As a result, I have many barely used devices in storage. My only issue with the majority of these is leaking. That price does not include all the juice wasted from leaking.

On a lighter note, I am happy to report The GeekVape Aegis is the best mod I have used so far. It's like the Alien but better. It has withstood every leaking incident I've faced to date. I also never get a dry hit or any spitback. Every device before now has caused that. The issue is finding a tank that is not a clear and total ripoff.

Currently, I have an iJoy Maxo V12, Sense Blazer, Cleito Aspire, Cleito EXO and a few other tanks recommended to me as great replacement tanks. I only hate them for the leaking. They always ooze out ten minutes after the first hit. I'm not sure where the others are. I probably smashed them to pieces in frustration. Had these worked, I'm not even sure where I could find more of their rare coils that don't work at all.

If there is some way to remedy my dilemma, I would also love it if everything I vaped didn't taste like burnt ..... That's all I ever taste. I can't taste the flavours anymore. That's what I get for using Smok products I guess. I don't care about blowing clouds or any of the other fancy stuff. I am only in it for a good experience. So any actual leakproof tank.

I have relapsed every once in a while to actual e-cigs. Stuff like Blu and similar brands. I enjoyed the cigarette-shaped models for what they were. Then I got a MyBlu and fell fully for that Neon Dream flavour. The sad part is these devices are probably the worst on the market. They leak constantly, juice never lasts and they can't hold a charge. Plus it's even more expensive. I'm about to just start smoking again.

Hi and welcome,
How long did you smoke and how many per day?
What nicotine level is the juice you use?
Have you tried a Juul?

Cheers
I

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Hello @macaryl95, have to agree on stock coil tanks that you have to buy coils for. Most are not that reliable and even worse is that they can get expensive quickly.

It may well be worth considering rebuildable atomisers now, and they don't necessarily need you to change your mods. Unless you get into Squonking, that requires a Squonk mod.

RDA's (Rebuildable Dripping Atomisers) are the easiest and most forgiving of rebuildable atomisers to use. Single coil ones are best to start with, such as Digiflavor Drop Solo or one like I use Thunderhead Creations Tauren SOLO.

If you decided upon trying an RDA, you could use it with your Legend and Drip liquid into it to use it. And if it comes with a BF (Bottom Feed) Squonk pin, it can be easily used with a Squonk mod.

RTA's (Rebuildable Tank Atomisers), they can be tricky beasts indeed with wicking. You end up with either them leaking the entire contents of the tank or really lack lustre performance if you get the wicking wrong. But there are a few that are a little easier to use, but it can take time to find what works for you though.

So if you decide upon trying an RTA, don't be afraid to ask as many questions as you can about ones that interest you. As you need something that you can work with and works for you.

And may we ask what kind of vaper you are, are you big clouds or light mist?

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2019
London
You've got a decent mod so all you need is a decent tank. Either yours are rubbish or your doing something wrong. Either show us what you are doing with the tanks or buy something decent like the Nautilus 2s or Zenneth or Zlide. If they leak it's you causing it. The problem will then either be solved or at least clarified.

greek mule

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2018
Athens,Greece
My first handful of devices were all eLeaf and Smok. I found the tanks constantly leaking, they ruined the batteries on many of these mods and the overall experience was horrid. I caught nicotine poisoning a few times too.
Nicotine poisoning by few ml of juice is not possible.

There weren't many options so I went with Smok again.
Ther are so many options out there.

On a lighter note, I am happy to report The GeekVape Aegis is the best mod I have used so far. It's like the Alien but better. It has withstood every leaking incident I've faced to date. I also never get a dry hit or any spitback. Every device before now has caused that.
Leakage/dry hit/spitback is caused by tanks not devices.

It also lasted a while, which I found impressive coming from Smok.
SMOK has a bad reputation for making sub-par products, and I never recommend their use.

Last edited:

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
All the faulty pen type things is totally par for the course. They fail all the time. You did good, getting the Aegis. Loads of happy owners here.

But I’m not hearing a lot about the tanks you mentioned leaking, or having bad coils. I don’t have them, but others that do brag about their long coil life.

So before I ask you to invest in mire gear, you ought to check the atomizer sub forum and read up about possible reasons those are not functioning as well as they should.

Briefly, the wrong pg/vg (too high pg) not tightening the coil down well, and failing O rings will cause leakage.

Wrong pg/vg either too high or too low, not properly priming the coil, too high wattage, very sweet or tobacco or similar flavors, and chain vaping will foul coils before their time.

Personally I’d focus on the most pressing problem, and to me that would be the leaking, rather than attempt to sort all these issues at one time.

You don’t have to fall in love with vaping to keep off the smokes, but you’ll surely find it more enjoyable once you understand your gear and it stops giving you so much grief. I know that was the case for me.

kashif

May 26, 2019
Hello and welcome to ECF. Please for your own sake stay away from "Smok" products. I am not saying they are totally bad but you have better options available in market with the same price. If you are a MTL user then buy a Nautilus 2s tank and it will never leak. Please make sure to by the 2S and not the 2. The "S" version is upgraded version and it is leak proof. Its always better to not fill your tank to the top. Also make sure your coils are good and you prime then carefully before you install them. My suggestion is to go for Aspire Nautilus 2s or Innokin zenith if you are MTL user. The way I see it, I think you are doing everything right and you just need a good tank.

FlyerTom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Nor'Eastern PA
mjHJuAF.png

Nancy D

May 21, 2019
New York
Hello and welcome to ECF. Please for your own sake stay away from "Smok" products. I am not saying they are totally bad but you have better options available in market with the same price. If you are a MTL user then buy a Nautilus 2s tank and it will never leak. Please make sure to by the 2S and not the 2. The "S" version is upgraded version and it is leak proof. Its always better to not fill your tank to the top. Also make sure your coils are good and you prime then carefully before you install them. My suggestion is to go for Aspire Nautilus 2s or Innokin zenith if you are MTL user. The way I see it, I think you are doing everything right and you just need a good tank.

Not sure a tank can be considered leak proof, since user error has to be factored in. Which is apparently the case here. Plus, we weren’t told much except that everything vaping related that he does brings him no joy. Not sure someone can take him by the hand and guide him into a good experience vaping. He may simply enjoy kvetching about leaking this, not great that, whatever. He wrote quite a lot, whilst managing to say not very much that would be useful to help him, though. Just my take on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread