The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Second-Hand Nicotine?

Discussion in 'SG Vapers' started by painbowslash, Oct 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. painbowslash

painbowslash Senior Member Verified Member

Jun 13, 2015
    Singapore
    I usually vape with my buddies in their apartment, most of them use ipv4s, sigelei 150w at around 80+w so the room is really cloudy and all.
    Most of us quit smoking around 3-4 months ago, so i have 3 or 4 frienda still vaping 12-24 mg nic levels like anna and jane or other high nic juice they have.

Recently saw a Rip Trippers video that said while vaping around friends who used 12mg-24mg nic juice, he got a nicotine buzz.
    I dont know if this is true because ive never felt it before, but i want to be sure because sometime i vape at home, and dont want my family to be affected by my vaping.

2. Archer74

Archer74 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Sep 26, 2009
    Illinois
    Nicotine absorption isnt 100% so there is nicotine in the vapor we exhale.

3. Nermal

Nermal Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 8, 2013
    Farmington, NM USA
    I saw the same video. That's the last time I watched Rip. Also, I believe him wrong about second hand nicotine being anything other than negligible.

• Like Like x 2
  4. danny4x4

danny4x4 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    London
    What is wrong with nicotine? Show me a study that links cancer with nicotine.
    If nicotine is highly addictive, why are clinical trials conducted using nicotine to treat alzheimer, cognitive decline, etc?

Not wrong to avoid vaping in front of other non-vapers (respect), but not right to demonise nicotine. Just my opinion.

• Like Like x 2
  5. chia

chia Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 7, 2014
    Red Dot
    Nicotine is the innocent party here.. Like Danny said. Most if not all studies had demonized nicotine, to keep the attention away from the other chemicals in cigarettes..

• Like Like x 1
  6. danny4x4

danny4x4 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    London
    Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying second hand vapour is safe. Good to err on the side of caution. All I'm saying is that nicotine has never been proven to cause any major illness.

7. Epic_Sinner

Epic_Sinner SG Mod Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 18, 2013
    Wonderland
    The bottom line is, vapor is still so many times safer than cigarette smoke that is being inhaled. I would even say walking on the streets with a million cars passing by kills people faster than 10 years of second hand vapor inhale would.

• Like Like x 1
  8. painbowslash

painbowslash Senior Member Verified Member

Jun 13, 2015
    Singapore
    Thanks a lot for the responses! Good to know this won't affect my loved ones.

9. AndriaD

AndriaD Reviewer / Blogger Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    If 2nd-hand nicotine from vaping was really a thing, you'd think that me vaping at home, indoors, around my husband would have some negative effect on his high blood pressure -- he quit the little cigars and caffeinated tea&coffee when it was diagnosed, because his HBP was off the charts. Well guess what. I've been vaping at home, indoors, around my husband for almost 2 yrs now. And in that time, his HBP HAS GONE DOWN.

Bite on that, ANTZ.

Andria

• Like Like x 2
  10. Elizabeth Baldwin

Elizabeth Baldwin Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Studies on nicotine being harmful were not accurate because they used cigarettes, ignoring all the other variables(toxins). Other studies have shown medicinal value in nicotine for many diseases. Nicotine is found naturally in many plants and vegetables. It could be compared to caffeine.

I ran across a study not long ago where only trace amounts were found in the air after vaping. If I can find it I will post it.

• Like Like x 3
  11. somdcomputerguy

somdcomputerguy vaper dedicato Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    It's also in, or very close to being in, the B vitamin family.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Epic_Sinner

May 18, 2013
    Wonderland
    If nic is in fact harmful, why would there even be nic gum and nic patches in the first place. Worse still, nic gum goes into your body via direct consumption. Nic patches goes into your bloodstream. To put it across fairly, it is a medicinal product. I would say Panadols and cough syrups are more harmful. We all have seen people passing away by consuming 20 tablets of panadols or 2-3 bottles of cough syrups at one go, but I have not seen anyone suffering anything from taking in more than 24mg of nic at one go.

13. AndriaD

Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    What is panadols?

Andria

14. Epic_Sinner

May 18, 2013
    Wonderland
    LOL, they are actually tablets that cure headaches, or what you call it as aspirins in your country. Locally over here we usually call them panadol as it is one of the common brands sold in the open. Pardon me for not using the general term.

15. AndriaD

Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    Is it actually aspirin? Or acetaminophen (Tylenol)? Tylenol is hard on the liver, I know -- my mom has cirrhosis and can't take them at all.

Andria

16. Steamix

Steamix Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 21, 2013
    Vapistan
    Nicotine IS harmful. But not nearly as harmful as interested parties would have us believe.

An alkaloid with psychoactive properties, it is found in tabacco, potatoes, tomoatoes, is just about any plant of the nightshade family. But it's concentration is highest in tobacco leaves, of course.
    So it's been linked to smoking and addiction to smoking ever since science took a close look. And has always been made the culprit. Evil incarnate. Meanwhile, we know that there is several thousand chemicals in tobacco smoke, quite a few of them far more unhealthy than nicotine alone. It is only recently - maybe thanks to the swelling numbers of vapers - that scientiest look at nicotine itself.
    Without the tobacco and smoke around it.
    And all of a sudden, things aren't so clear cut anymore.

Make no mistake, nicotine is NOT harmless. But curare is not harmless either and is used by modern medicine as well. As with anything, it's the dosage that makes the difference.

Any peeps say a lot of things on YT videos... Second hand vapor has been studied.
    As epic sinner said it, you're catching more crap in your lungs by standing on a busy intersection for a few minutes than you do by vaping for a decade...

Vape on :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. AzPlumber

AzPlumber Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 28, 2011
    Arizona
    I get second hand nicotine when using my mod with both hands. :lol:

18. Comrade Vape

Comrade Vape Super Member Verified Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Local
    Panadol here is paracetamol. I don't think we have over-the-counter aspirins locally do we? Prescription painkillers perhaps.

19. Comrade Vape

Comrade Vape Super Member Verified Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Local
    :banana::thumb:

20. AndriaD

Jan 24, 2014
    LawrencevilleGA
    What is paracetamol? Acetaminophen?

Andria

Thread Status: