Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
Capella vanilla bean ice cream 8%
Capella french vanilla 3%
Capella sugar cookie 4%
Added 8% halo kringles curse for peppermint. Still havent ordered any peppermint yet.
Added 20-30 drops flavor west sweetner.

First vape is promising. Definitely needs to steep. Left the lid off overnight to let it breathe. The sugar cookie gives this a little middle ground for the vanilla and mint to play on. Ive started using higher percentages of flavorings purposely. Its my belief that some of the better commercial juices taste so good because they dont skimp on flavoring. I do realize that some flavors arent great at very high percentages but i havent found that plateau yet. This mix is at 23% total flavorings and it tastes fine. Ive only been mixing diy off and on since last Christmas but ive got this. Ive had 2 that didnt turn out as i intended, one was kinda meh and the other was truly unvapable. But ive got this now. I make good vape juice.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
23%... crazy.
I respectfully disagree.

Different hardware, setups, vaping style, and taste buds, dictate different flavoring percentages for each of us. If @Coyote628 likes it... Good on him!:thumbs: (And, thanks for taking the time to share it with the rest of us!)

If it looks interesting, but too high; reduce the percentages, or dilute it down. Most DIYers find the need to adjust other's recipes to suit our personal preferences anyway.;)

Sorry, but commenting on total flavoring percentage is (to me) like commenting on another person's choice in clothing, or hair style. It may not be my choice; but I respect their right to decide what makes them happy. I certainly don't feel the need to comment on it.

This is my opinion only; but comments like this (especially from those that haven't tried the recipe in question) are a part of why this recipe forum is so dead. Nobody likes getting shot down; no matter how good-natured/humorously it is intended.

Just my :2c:...

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
It's not about taste, or choice.

It is said that at some point, when you "overdose" on flavors, you end up with what tastes like liquid soap - a purely chemical thing. I just find it incredible that at 23% this point hasn't been reached yet. It's probably the highest % number of flavor in a liquid that I've come across so far when browsing recipes.

What makes this look high:
Added 8% halo kringles curse for peppermint. Still havent ordered any peppermint yet.
Using 8% of an e-liquid to add flavor, which I guess works but it actually might equate to 1% of an actual peppermint flavor.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
It is said that at some point, when you "overdose" on flavors, you end up with what tastes like liquid soap - a purely chemical thing.
Okay... I agree that flavors (in general) have individual ceilings, where they contribute a beneficial influence. Again, this is dictated by multiple influences (hardware, setup, airflow, and personal taste). I have over flavored, and had experienced loss of flavor, to an unpleasant "artificial chemical" taste. I can't say I have ever vaped something that reminded me of "soap." There is nothing "purely chemical" about it. It is solely perception.
I just find it incredible that at 23% this point hasn't been reached yet. It's probably the highest % number of flavor in a liquid that I've come across so far when browsing recipes.
That only shows the limited exposure you have had. I can provide you with no less that 50 recipes, from just one mixer (who mixed commercially), that range from 23-32% flavoring. Granted; these were created several years ago... when cartomizers, and clearomizers were the norm, and sub-ohm vaping was yet to be a "thing."

Regardless... no matter the hardware you use, or the recipes you prefer; someone else's preferences should not be judged with myopic eyes. Mix it. Taste it. And then, feel free to share your impressions. If you are just looking for a forum that welcomes snarky/judgmental/bullying/ignorant critiques; there are plenty of other offerings, besides ECF. We are here to encourage, inform, assist, and support one another.

I am sorry if this sounds confrontational. I am old, short of patience, and not very hip to today's "social norms." However, one of the things that keeps me coming back to ECF, is the understanding that I am not going to be laughed at for sharing what works for me.

I will always welcome constructive ideas, suggestions, and alternatives. I will equally resist blanket judgements, uninformed/untried critiques, and just plain thoughtless comments.

Take all of the above as you will. I am done with this conversation. I feel that I am derailing the intent of the original post... that being a recipe. If you feel the need to continue this side topic; feel free to PM me.
:toast:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I completely agree on the is it tasting good or not to the mixer, honestly. Total flavoring % depends on a ton of factors, including length of time DIY, tatebuds, personal preference, a whole bunch of stuff.

I've mixed mixes (kind of by accident) with a low percentage of flavoring, but flavorings that are strong-- to me-- that have tasted like a cross between cough syrup and well, eucalyptus oil. All part of the fun, but they were unvapable (to me) at say 12% because my palate just OVER tastes certain flavors. I am also fairly sure that some of the flavorings I used had a reputation for high concentration. Finally, I'm sure there are flavors I undertaste too. It's not really fair to judge your thoughts on other's mixing styles.

With that said, Coyote that is a high percentage and you are new to DIY. So, if as your mix steeps more, you start finding it overflavored, there is this handy thing called dilution you can do.

Some of my best learning experiences have come not from mixing a "winner" but by fixing failed mixes, etc.

Also, the more I mix, the more often I am likely to try an "ultra new to me" mix in much smaller quantities, and that has served me well.

So.... it's kinda all good. There is also certainly no issue regarding lowering flavoring if you want/choose to try it, but if you are happy where you are at, you are. Period, exclamation point, as my kid used to say .
Anna

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
What makes this look high:

Using 8% of an e-liquid to add flavor, which I guess works but it actually might equate to 1% of an actual peppermint flavor.
I agree with this. When i actually order peppermint flavoring, im not gonna be able to use 8%. Wow i can imagine that would be like vaping toothpaste. But the vanilla flavors i used at higher percentages taste absolutely awesome. Not like soap at all. And ive let a few folks at work try some of this. They all agree this juice is really good. So im not worried about the percentages in this mix. But i DO understand that some flavors arent great at very high percentages. This mix is not one of those.

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
When i work up a recipie, i will look at other people's recipies with similar flavor profiles and see what percentages of any particular flavor are being used. This gives me a decent starting point to work from. Yes, im still kinda new to mixing but i got a good handle on it. The beauty of DIY is making what tastes good to you. And if someone else likes what you make, there is where you can judge success. If anybody wants to mix this recipe, there it is shared freely. Adjust the peppermint to your liking of course. Vanilla and peppermint work well together.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
It's not about taste, or choice.

It is said that at some point, when you "overdose" on flavors, you end up with what tastes like liquid soap - a purely chemical thing. I just find it incredible that at 23% this point hasn't been reached yet. It's probably the highest % number of flavor in a liquid that I've come across so far when browsing recipes.

Sometimes that's true. It depends on the flavor and the brand. I mix most single flavors at 1% to 6%, but FA Solo I mix at 11% and it's just about right, but still a low color, high clarity mix with a pale champagne tint. I've mixed it as high as 16% and it's still a good vape with no soapy or heavy over-flavored taste. 11% is on the weak side, but I like flavors at lower percentage than most.

I find many commercial juices to be way too strongly flavored, but that's just my opinion. Others flock to them.

I have a diminished sense of taste :( I often need to up the shared recipes to get them to where they don't taste flat to me. ELR has an adjust flavor % tool I use often when I need to do that. As far as looking at the flavor usage % i find ATF is the most handy to see a visual chart of where the flavor is used in the recipes in that database.

I suggest you give ELR a try:
You will have to go to http:// e - liquid - recipes dot com and play some. Enter your flavors into your flavor stash, browse the recipes in the database, create and save your own private recipes.
The calculator takes into account the PG in the flavors, and your nicotine solution to accurately give measurements for PG VG and nicotine for your desired PG/VG ratio and nicotine strength.

Last edited:

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
I think I've briefly looked at that particular one before (when I signed up on elr to comment on you know what *winkwink*).

I don't know how to phrase this better, but I'll try:
What I'd look for is not just some calculator to give me the nominal % values to get exact final percentages of ingredients, but a calc that can factor in the flavor-numbing features of VG, and maybe, an additional factorisation option to make recipes "weak" or "strong".

Reactions: stols001

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I think I've briefly looked at that particular one before (when I signed up on elr to comment on you know what *winkwink*).

I don't know how to phrase this better, but I'll try:
What I'd look for is not just some calculator to give me the nominal % values to get exact final percentages of ingredients, but a calc that can factor in the flavor-numbing features of VG, and maybe, an additional factorisation option to make recipes "weak" or "strong".
Those factors are too subjective, the data would contradict itself as it grew.

ELR is a database of recipes with an online recipe calculator, It has several functions but one of them is "Adjust total flavor %". Another useful feature is "Adapt this" which allows you to save into your private recipes anyone’s public recipe. So the way it works is you search or browse ELR recipes till you find something that has flavors you like, then adapt the recipe and save it into your recipes, then you can change flavors and adjust overall total flavor % to make your own version of it. At this minute there are 111666 recipes in the ELR database.

My online calculator was just made to do a couple calculations like adjust flavors, combine 2 recipes, PG/VG/Nicotine, combine multiple SF testers, and figure out a Nic level based on packs per day smoked. It is not a complete recipe calculator, but you can find several links there to downloadable and online recipe calculators, including ELR.

So ELR does not do exactly what you want but it is a valuable DIY tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread