Seeing a Forum trend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drummel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2010
Sycamore, IL
Rather than hijack someone's thread to point this out I'll just post this here.

I'm seeing a trend of people jumping into threads that may have been repeats of older types of threads that either a newer user has created, or someone has just opened their own thread to give their angle on the subject... What do I see?

Sarcastic comments about the thread being around, they are sick of seeing it repeated, or are just rude in general about someone's poor choice of X.

Rather then spit out piss and fire I'll just keep it simple.

Why? We aren't in this community together to be a jerk to each other. Internal wars do us absolutely ZERO good. If you don't like something, you are welcome to move along. Don't stick a flaming brand up someone's backside because you disagree with their post, the repetitiveness of it or anything else.
Being helpful is what this is suppose to be about. Point them to a thread maybe? Or make comments that pertain to their post? - but being a jerk about it, is NOT the idea here...

We get enough crap from outside the forums about vaping and bans and everything else. Lets keep it civil for the love of whatever you believe in...

Helpful, not harmful. It's the whole point.

LMS62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
Mesa, AZ
I have been on various forums (political, firearms, etc) for 20 years now, and believe me, this is no different than any of the others.

For the past few years, I have been an active member of a local gun forum. In this forum, there are threads on everything from firearms/shooting to politics, current events, etc. Of course, there are some members that cannot seem to post without being sarcastic or rude. The interesting part is that whenever we coordinate a group shooting event, and those same internet warriors show up, they couldn't be nicer or more polite. In fact, it's nothing short of comical.

Forums usually remind me of driving in traffic. The soccer dad in the next lane is the first guy to flip off anyone and everyone who doesn't drive in the manner he would like, but once he gets to to red light, now he doesn't have the testicular fortitude to even look over.

IMO, in many cases, the internet is a coward's paradise, as you can behave any way you want, as well as claim to be anyone you want.....and all from the comfort of your own home.

Ckitt

Aug 28, 2010
Cleveland, Tn
I have been on various forums (political, firearms, etc) for 20 years now, and believe me, this is no different than any of the others.

For the past few years, I have been an active member of a local gun forum. In this forum, there are threads on everything from firearms/shooting to politics, current events, etc. Of course, there are some members that cannot seem to post without being sarcastic or rude. The interesting part is that whenever we coordinate a group shooting event, and those same internet warriors show up, they couldn't be nicer or more polite. In fact, it's nothing short of comical.

Forums usually remind me of driving in traffic. The soccer dad in the next lane is the first guy to flip off anyone and everyone who doesn't drive in the manner he would like, but once he gets to to red light, now he doesn't have the testicular fortitude to even look over.

IMO, in many cases, the internet is a coward's paradise, as you can behave any way you want, as well as claim to be anyone you want.....and all from the comfort of your own home.

I've got the testicular fortitude to look over at you from a red light, and I'll stick my tongue out at you too and blow raspberries. I'm also well prepared to break every bone in your hand with my face. I'm also the dork that was the cause of said driver flipping people off because I drive the speed limit and not over it, so I feel the raspberries given at the red light are justified.

All kidding aside though, as this forum gets more and more traffic, people should expect to see more and more double posts. It's all part and parcel of a new experience. Be friendly, be courteous, and vape on!

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States
daily_picdump_624_640_73-s511x600-140019-420.jpg

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago

yeah, the thing about forums is you can't see or hear the other person so very often when somebody reads what somebody posts, they put their own tone of voice into it and it's often misunderstood.

Reactions: MMW and LMS62

LMS62

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
Mesa, AZ
yeah, the thing about forums is you can't see or hear the other person so very often when somebody reads what somebody posts, they put their own tone of voice into it and it's often misunderstood.
I completely agree. However, the folks I'm talking about are the ones where it's a bit more than just a simple misunderstanding of tone, or inflection.

Rizzyking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2013
East Midlands, United Kingdom
Too many people see the internet as a chance to be the big man\woman they would never dare to be face to face and just be rude and impolite as there are no real consequences and it's not always limited to just members on forums I've known more then a few mods\admins over the years be as bad. If I say something on here I'd be as happy to say it face to face as well I was bought up with the ideology of "if you don't say what you mean, you can never mean what you say". It's just how the internet works there is no solution to it so just have to put up with it, saying that I've noticed as well that a lot of people on the internet have very thin skin and seem eager to take offence or play the victim.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
This place is actually really tame compared to a lot of places on the internet... This is one of the friendliest places I've ever been TBH :)
I was thinking very similar.

Considering people are coming off of smoking, withdrawing from MAOI's and alkaloids, I think it's something of a miracle it's so civil most of the time, TBH.

Consider the size of this site and it's mind blowing.

Tapatyped

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
On another note, the ECF search function is not very good and often leaves me frustrated.

That is my way of nicely saying it sucks!

It does. I've always found it better to do a google search to find relevant threads here instead.

Drummel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2010
Sycamore, IL
...saying that I've noticed as well that a lot of people on the internet have very thin skin and seem eager to take offence or play the victim.

This is also true. There are many sides to things. On the one hand you have Trolls. On the other you have extreme Sensitivity. The happy middle ground ignores what they don't have to deal with. I can't say I agree with just simply "put up with it". Problems typically have solutions, unfortunately they aren't always good ones :)
Doing nothing, to me, is the equivalent of watching a bully beat someone up. "Oh well, at least it isn't me" That's horrible. Obviously this post isn't to really FIX anything. It was just to get it out there, share an opinion with others. Not much more or less. :laugh:

Reactions: LMS62
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread