Status
Not open for further replies.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Regardless you are probably right that lobbying is going to be even more effective. It's a good thing we've got groups like CASAA.
When it comes to lobbying efforts, SFATA is the place to go.
When it comes to Consumer Advocacy efforts, that would be CASAA.
:)

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
The tax revenue alone is a powerful incentive for politicians to keep vaping around. Just look at what tax revenue is doing for the legalization of other things around the country.

Good message except this part sounds like an endorsement of excise tax on vaping.

edit: oops, I don't think you were endorsing that.

Last edited:

SeniorBoy

VapeFight.com Founder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
vapefight.com
A parody:

Chuckie_Schumer_final_rev_1.jpg

:)

Reactions: snork

Jingles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2011
Ohio
What they are saying is like saying recovering alcoholics should only have booze flavored beverages-beer, vodka, etc..If we let the alcoholics have sweet soda or pop or coffee or tea sweetened, surely the kids will want it, then they too will become alcoholics. Makes no sense whatsoever!

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
What they are saying is like saying recovering alcoholics should only have booze flavored beverages-beer, vodka, etc..If we let the alcoholics have sweet soda or pop or coffee or tea sweetened, surely the kids will want it, then they too will become alcoholics. Makes no sense whatsoever!

You totally nailed that one. While in fact, although I've tasted NA beer, I also abstain from that, because the taste is just too similar; I'm afraid it will wake up cravings that have been sleeping for many many years, and I'd just rather not go there, ever again.

Andria

Burn1ngChrome

Apr 17, 2015
I just think theyre missing the real issue. Cigarettes taste like cigarettes and teens still smoke them. Funny hiw that works. Its like there is something in cigarettes besides flavor that they are after.... The idea that the only thing preventing classrooms of teens from smoking is the flavor and/or that it will cause kids who otherwise had no inclination to smoke to run out for it because they gotta get their fix of flavor in the most inconvenient and expensive way possible is just naive.

AC81

ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2015
Connecticut
The flavoring that attracts teens is the most ridiculous {Moderated} argument on the planet. Do teens like the taste of the first shot of whiskey they take? Hell no. Do they keep taking the shots? Usually until they puke. The e-liquid companies should start just naming their juices random things with the actual flavor profile in small lettering on the bottle or something. If they take away the flavoring it would almost be like saying, lets ban strawberry nicotine gum, because kids might buy it to get a buzz in class.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
You totally nailed that one. While in fact, although I've tasted NA beer, I also abstain from that, because the taste is just too similar; I'm afraid it will wake up cravings that have been sleeping for many many years, and I'd just rather not go there, ever again.

Andria

Re: the bold - exactly the point that Schumer, et al. miss. I pointed this out regarding Zeller when in one of the conferences/committee meetings, he suggested some of his educational background was in addicted psychology and he should know how moving away from those things that stimulate (or simulate) something is an operational aspect of habits/addiction. But that 'knowledge' doesn't penetrate through their main 'we know what's best for you' premise.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Re: the bold - exactly the point that Schumer, et al. miss. I pointed this out regarding Zeller when in one of the conferences/committee meetings, he suggested some of his educational background was in addicted psychology and he should know how moving away from those things that stimulate (or simulate) something is an operational aspect of habits/addiction. But that 'knowledge' doesn't penetrate through their main 'we know what's best for you' premise.

The statement about alcohol being "cunning, baffling, and powerful" is the operant principle of the last 22 1/2 yrs of my life -- I know exactly what sort of insanity an alcoholic brain is capable of, and "screw this, gimme a real one" is definitely in the realm of possibilities. :D

The other point, about tobacco flavors specifically -- most of us did not enjoy the taste of tobacco when we first tried it -- I thought it was horrible, personally, but so enticingly "cool," I made myself smoke them, to prove I was "one of the cool kids." :facepalm: But once we're away from that flavor for any length of time, many of us totally lose the ability to even tolerate that flavor, nevermind enjoy it. And I was one of those tiresome "it's gotta taste exactly like my cigarettes!" new vapers -- but that feeling went away completely after my relapse and recovery from it, that taste was just... icky. But just because we no longer like that flavor, it does NOT follow that we lose our enjoyment of the *act* -- many of us performed that inhale, exhale, ah, routine millions of times in our lifetimes, and that sort of intensive behavioral conditioning is very, very difficult to modify or lose -- I really doubt I ever will lose it.

Andria

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
The flavoring that attracts teens is the most ridiculous {Moderated} argument on the planet. Do teens like the taste of the first shot of whiskey they take? Hell no. Do they keep taking the shots? Usually until they puke. The e-liquid companies should start just naming their juices random things with the actual flavor profile in small lettering on the bottle or something. If they take away the flavoring it would almost be like saying, lets ban strawberry nicotine gum, because kids might buy it to get a buzz in class.

When I was a teenager and first started drinking coffee, I drank it black. A few years later, I was mature enough to start adding cream and sugar because I like it much better, it's easier on my stomach, and I no longer was trying to prove how grown up I was.

Soon after smoking I went on to non-filtered for a while, for similar stupid reasons. I would not have been attracted to "kid friendly" flavored cigarettes.

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
In case you haven't noticed, pols make your business only their business when some of their business 'clients' are loosing theirs.

I noticed a growing disdain from pols towards the people they pretend to represent, if neither power nor money is to be gained, they don't give a rodents behind about you , me, or anyone else.

Hydroscopic

Mar 6, 2015
United States
In case you haven't noticed, pols make your business only their business when some of their business 'clients' are losing theirs.

Out of general curiosity, and trying not to make a false assumption or statement myself, I decided to look into lobbyists and campaign financing for Schumer. As we all know, Google results aren't always the bastion of accuracy either. - Unfortunately I don't have access to LexisNexis.

The donations from lobbying that I searched for were not specified other than in a generalized 'lobbying' category for Schumer. There was also a generalized catch-all category for "Pharmaceuticals." Both totals were over $500,000 across sources. Of course they varied, just as the sources varied in credibility, hence the search disclaimer. With "pharmaceuticals" the specifics on who and when in exact detail can't be confirmed without excessive research. - I'm curious. Except I'm not that curious where I'm going to spend the next several hours dissecting the man's campaign finances. If you feel compelled to do so, more power to you.

I didn't see much for tobacco mentions. Usually a search for tobacco law makers is easy to spot given all the controversy. That said, I still have no idea who and what fell into the 'lobbying' category. Not to mention that the Citizen's United ruling makes it near impossible to discover and verify all sources of campaign donations now. If you think it is beyond tobacco and pharma to use non-profit groups to front their interests and funnel funds to law makers, think again.

Mind you Schumer is in line to potentially become the Minority Leader and did roll with Wall Street lobbyist donations quite a bit. While the flavor debate is mostly talk for show right now, it might not be in the near future.

I would not have been attracted to "kid friendly" flavored cigarettes.

Ha! Strangely enough after reading the legislation news I took a break and looked up candy the other day. All that I can say is that for "kid friendly" that I like candy cigarettes. Sadly I can only order them online as they too were once demonized for sensationalizing smoking among the youth population years ago. I'm also an adult with no kids. - Though to keep on topic: I don't think I'd want to vape that flavor. It is basically powdered sugar.

I (unfortunately) live in New York, and am glad that this post was created. I saw the entire press conference when it came out a couple of day ago, and to listen to him speak, you'd think that the e cig / vaping community was lurking in the dark shadows just dreaming up new ways to draw kids in. Whenever I go to a vaping website, there's almost always age restrictions to enter them. ALL of my local vape shops have age restrictions posted on their doors as you enter them. I always see the employees of these shops asking for ID whenever it's even remotely possible for the person to be under 18. I believe the industry as a whole is doing a great job of policing itself - it really has to; 'let's not them another reason....'. This particular senator LOVES to get his puss on the TV wherever/whenever he can (yeah, they ALL do, but this one is a special case). If they'd start working on some of the real problems of this great country, we'd all be better off. Grandstanding on issues like this apparently makes them think that they are doing something useful. This industry is doing all the right things and doing fine all on it's own.

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Sans Nom, USA
I'm already there navigator! I do hate the baggage that comes along with the word libertarian though. Ayn Rand, Anarcho-capitalism, supply-side... But I'm totally on board with people being left to do whatever the hell they want so long as it doesn't hurt or infringe upon the rights of anyone else.

I can safely say that I don't agree with with many things of either party of our current system. I cannot identify virtually any of my core beliefs in social policy with the Replublicans nor can I identify with many fiscal or "protect me from myself" policies of Democrats.

When it comes to fiscal/social issues between the 2 parties, the majority of Americans have similar views between the 2 parties but the polarization requires voters to make a lesser of two evils choice. And the status quo continues into endless oblivion.

I am definitely a Libertarian but I certainly don't agree with everything. I personally identify best with many of the more mainstream values.

I've enjoyed many quotes from Gary Johnson through the years. He's too extreme on some things but he's pretty awesome when it comes to his views on personal liberty and freedom and what the Government's role should be in our lives.

"The majority of Americans are classical liberals--fiscal conservatives and social liberals--who believe that the best government is the government that rules the least and the best that government can do for me, the individual, is to allow me as an individual to make the choices and the decisions that only I can make. When that crosses over the line and I potentially can do harm to others, that's when the government needs to step in."

"I think that the best that government can do for you and I as individuals is to empower you and I to make decisions that only you and I should make."

"People are clamoring to hear good ideas as opposed to the lesser of two evils... Either the Democrats are going to win or the Republicans are going to win, but the losers are all of us out here as citizens that really do want meaningful change, and none of it's happening. There's no dialogue regarding meaningful change."

I've seen many comments on web articles that read like this "I don't usually one to agree with taxes but I think vaping should be taxed" or "I generally don't like Government controlling things but in this case something needs to be done". That mentality is patently dangerous and quite selfish. Heaven forbid some of the opponents to vaping have something taken away that is "important" to them. Suddenly the tune changes. You can't have it both ways. Sorry. More freedom and choices is always better than less. Even if that means more bad choices. Not that I think vaping is a bad choice. I think it's a modern health miracle. But many do so they want to take it all away just cuz. Nauseating.

nomore stinkies

Gee, Who did that?
ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2014
IL
OMG Stop the madness! I have a serious question. Does your flavor actually TASTE like the described flavor? I use Razzmatazz. Now, I do get a HINT of raspberry flavor but I would not consider it a "craving candy" flavor. Yes, I have vaped many a flavor, some stronger than others but the real attraction is not the flavor it is the hand to mouth experience, etc. I think Chuck needs to take a few hits of cotton candy. If you have a flavor that tastes like a snickers bar and you had an actual snickers bar which would you pick? He is comparing apples to oranges. This is about quitting the combustibles and moving away from tobacco flavors (for some).

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
"for the children" is always a great slogan when politicians want to trample your adult rights.

when I still smoked, I rolled my own, and bought all my supplies online. Then they made online sales of cigarette tobacco illegal, "for the children". Yeah, like kids were using a credit card without their parents knowledge, ordering the tobacco, catching the delivery before their parents could, then rolling the smokes without getting caught. Sure they were.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread