• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Sequestration silliness!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Borescoped

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
Minot, ND
So, checking out my emails for Military times, and reading various news websites, and the SecDef is saying they are thinking about cutting our benefits, BAH, PCS's, and possibly even promotions this next fiscal year.

Yet the current party in power want to continue "entitlements" for folks, and allow this to happen.

Is it just me, or does this sound ......ed? I am ok with helping folks out, but this is getting silly now IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UntamedRose

PV Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2010
Homeish now
Seems to me its a political game......military budget NEEDS to be cut and Im pretty sure anyone in the military can point out areas that they could. Who hasnt seen some major wastes of resources happening. Oh sure lets have two military members watching the one civilian contractor paint the wall...that makes sense.

But instead of actually cutting what could be.....lets chop at members benefits so folks go OH no dont hurt our military! Ta da no one wants to cut the military budget again...and the industrial complex is free to grow.

Borescoped

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
Minot, ND
Seems to me its a political game......military budget NEEDS to be cut and Im pretty sure anyone in the military can point out areas that they could. Who hasnt seen some major wastes of resources happening. Oh sure lets have two military members watching the one civilian contractor paint the wall...that makes sense.

But instead of actually cutting what could be.....lets chop at members benefits so folks go OH no dont hurt our military! Ta da no one wants to cut the military budget again...and the industrial complex is free to grow.

It absolutely is a political game, and I don't think they should be playing with us like that.

Want to cut the pork/fat out of the mil budget? Sure, I can absolutely agree with that, but member's pay and benefits should NEVER be lumped into that.

If they want to cut the military's budget, then the hatchet needs to be taken to the entitlement programs also. Give these people incentives to get out there and get a job instead of a free lunch.

At the rate the politicians are going, the only thing left defending the country will the wall of bodies waiting in line for their free handouts, as there won't be a military left.

And people wonder why the world is starting to get crazy again when we advertise we can't fund the armed services properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Put up with that silliness for 20 years. Budget rules need to be redone from the ground up. How many times has your unit gotten to the end of the fiscal year and gone on a spending spree so they don't loose funding for the following year? Units should be rewarded for saving $$$, not penalized.

Borescoped

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
Minot, ND
Put up with that silliness for 20 years. Budget rules need to be redone from the ground up. How many times has your unit gotten to the end of the fiscal year and gone on a spending spree so they don't loose funding for the following year? Units should be rewarded for saving $$$, not penalized.

Holy crap, that ain't no joke! I get so PO'd every time we get new furniture, when we could have used that money to buy important stuff... like new tools to replace worn/broken ones, more parts to fix what we work on, new boots for the junior enlisted who do a lot of the dirty work and trash theirs. I've been saying for a few years now that military units should be encouraged to develop budgets where wise spending and saving is encouraged. Instead, "If you don't spend it all, you'll loose some next year!" That encourages waste, and does not incentivize resource advisors to wisely spend the commander's money on things actually needed. Give them RA's the ability to save some money from year to year if they can, and then they can buy the bigger ticket items that we ask for (like a laser etcher for etching our tools, and the accessories to use on it, for the purpose of cutting dual layered colored contrast tool box foam, or a stencil type add on). Know we're preppeing for a deployment in advance? Save some money from the previous budget, and spend it when we actually need it for parts/tools/gear, instead of new chairs that will be thrashed in 3 months.

They want to cut mil budget fat? Allow RA's to be a true financial type planner/executer like they should be, instead of just a damned accountant that spends everything they can get their hands on, on stuff we might not actually need, just to keep the budget from getting axed!

jwat82

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
The Land of Lincoln
I was a supply admin working at the main distribution hub. If a Marine got a piece of serialized gear in Iraq, it came through me at some point.

Oh the waist I've seen. From both my side and the using units side. I am all for supporting the warfighter as best as possible. But sometimes there needs to be thinking before action. I still have about 10 under armour skivy shirts because we bought thousands before it was found that no one in a combat mos could wear them because they melted to the skin. So boxes upon boxes just sat till we started to distribute them to basically whoever asked. Gunny's calling indignant and screaming because the goggles or ballistic glasses weren't Oakley. If they protect your eyes from sandstorms or shrapnel, who gives a .....

It wasn't quite as bad in the rear, but a lot of the same issues remained.

But yeah, fat needs to be trimmed, but there's lots of other places than pay or BAH. Instead of cutting benefits, how bout they don't let that overweight 10 year Sgt reenlist instead of cutting benefits for motivated go getter.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 4

kainvamp86

Verified Member
Aug 25, 2013
NJ
First thing they need to do is stop using GSA! There are so many times we find things we need at local places, or other sites like amazon, new egg, wherever. But our supply dept. pretty much says if it's available on GSA that's where it has to be purchased from! then it takes like a month to get anything, and usually computer related things are damn near twice the price of any normal site civilians use. So yea they need to stop forcing us to waste money just to fatten someone else's pockets, and leave our pay and benefits alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread