Status
Not open for further replies.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Saw a dude on Candlepower forum that had his series flashlight explode I his pocket. He posted pics of the burns on his couch and his injured leg. I don't recall the details - it is possible the light inadvertently activated while in his pocket.

We are all adults, and I respect everybody's right to vape any way they wish but personally, I wont play Russian roulette with unmarried cells. I'm not your nanny, but for anyone else reading this:

It is a dangerous and stupid idea to use unmarried cells in a series mod.

Honestly wish you the best of luck - you'll need it.

Classic vaper

Jan 12, 2019
I never said unmarried batteries would explode or enter a thermal runaway event. Read my post – “It’s not a matter of venting, but reducing risk.”

I elaborated on your comment about venting which is merely releasing excess pressure. Venting is a low pressure release, barely registering an increase of pressure within a sealed device.

Thermal runaway is an uncontrolled decomposition due to a rapid increase of internal temperature. Depending on cell, it can release several liters of gas within milliseconds. A rapid increase of internal temperature does not have to be caused by a hard short. No hard shorts, no torn wraps, no reverse polarity, no non hybrid safe 510’s in a Tesla – but they’ve experienced thermal runaway!
You just said it yourself. Thermal runaway is caused by an increase in internal temperature. The rule of hot thumb applies to everything in life. If you fire a gun too rapidly the barrel could get super hot and warp. If you fire a round through a warped barrel it could get stuck and explode. Life is a tragic thing.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
That is very true, but we have to remember that almost all flashlights are constant contact. Once you press the button, they will continue to draw power from a battery until clicked off. Mods only fire while pressed unless there is an issue of somekind, therefore reducing battery heat from draw power. In the end it is to each their own. I could get set on fire by a guy doing a drive by with a flamethrower wishing I would have got hurt by a mod failure. Life is not a garunteed safety thing in any field.

Married pairs is best in a series or parallel mod. After all, dual cells are by design intended to pull equal shares of the load. I like to use internal resistance as an indicator for pairing.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON

Classic vaper

Jan 12, 2019
Saw a dude on Candlepower forum that had his series flashlight explode I his pocket. He posted pics of the burns on his couch and his injured leg. I don't recall the details - it is possible the light inadvertently activated while in his pocket.

We are all adults, and I respect everybody's right to vape any way they wish but personally, I wont play Russian roulette with unmarried cells. I'm not your nanny, but for anyone else reading this:

It is a dangerous and stupid idea to use unmarried cells in a series mod.

Honestly wish you the best of luck - you'll need it.
Your holy god mooch himself said that married batteries are missunderstood. According to mooch, any two batteries you get could have been seperated and used seperately prior to you getting them. What makes a battery married is continuing to use them and charging them in the same manner. Im not against the idea of married batteries, I just know that the popular view of what married batteries are is missleading and missunderstood. Therefore I continue to use them in the maner that has been scientifically shown as acceptable. Doing this keeping in mind that these batteries arent meant to be used outside of a battery pack anyways ‍♂️

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
Gotta love it when someone starts a thread asking for advice / opinions and then starts slapping disagreeable red X's on replies that don't confirm his thinking. :rolleyes:
Yep. Especially after he proves he doesn’t even know how to calculate coils.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
How did I miss this!! "His thinking"?? Im a girl lol. In the state of Califor*** this is miss-gendering

Oh really?

CtdXJyk.png

PS: Ask me if I care what the State of California thinks.

Classic vaper

Jan 12, 2019
Oh really?

CtdXJyk.png

PS: Ask me if I care what the State of California thinks.
We have a winner. Im impressed that you cared enough to check meh profile. Ok piece out everyone. I got my fill of playing around with clowns in Mooch's virtual vaping basement. My mommy is here to pick me up. Oh wait...shes dead plus I have a working car.

Much love,
Meh
PS. Ultra invasion of comfort zone achieved.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Correct! While I agree that using unmarried batteries is more risky, they could vent...not explode. According to Mooch, a lithium ion battery explosion is caused by thermal runaway via a hard short (mentioned since he is worshiped here). Simply using batteries in series wont cause a hard short. That is caused by failure to complete a circut from reversed polarity on torn wraps, non protruding positive pin ect...
Proper venting is key to make venting not as worrysome.
So an insult but no actual answer. You seem to claim that a vent, along with the potential subsequent destruction of the device, the other battery inside it, and anything in close proximity to vent holes (such as your hand) is no big deal. Is that correct then?

So all of us, including experts in the field and your local vape shop feel marrying batteries is important – you feel it is fear mongering because you are comfortable with your vape?

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Your holy god mooch himself said that married batteries are missunderstood. According to mooch, any two batteries you get could have been seperated and used seperately prior to you getting them. What makes a battery married is continuing to use them and charging them in the same manner. Im not against the idea of married batteries, I just know that the popular view of what married batteries are is missleading and missunderstood. Therefore I continue to use them in the maner that has been scientifically shown as acceptable. Doing this keeping in mind that these batteries arent meant to be used outside of a battery pack anyways ‍♂️

I have never worshipped at the altar of Mooch, nor have I ever watched any of his videos - though I do respect his efforts to inform.

I do base all of my decisions on sound electrical theory and experience that I have accrued over my career in electronics.

Again, best of luck to you.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
...keeping in mind that these batteries arent meant to be used outside of a battery pack anyways ‍♂️

Interesting. Multiple cells in a sealed pack feels like a forced marriage. Wonder why the manufacturers don't sell individual cells or reccomend opening a sealed battery pack?

(Its rhetorical, we know why.)

• Love
Reactions: Baditude
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread